What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEXT BIG SIGNING

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hasler is a joke and totally disagree with your comment Grouch. The Manly side Des had were pretty good with DCE/Foran and Stewart brothers at their peak. Hasler is Jack the Ripper. Murderer of hookers ask Liccha. 2 Premiership wins and he is only below Bennett/ Bellamy etc? Wow. I have Brian Smith ahead of Hasler. May not have won a GF but lost 3 to Wayne Bennett and 1 to Andrew Johns led Knight. 1 GF that Hasler won was against the Warriors (seriously, anyone would have beaten them) the other was against a Storm minus Cam Smith. Did'nt do so well against the Storm when Cam Smith played and against Souths did he. He limped into to both those finals on the back of doodgy ref calls and a team way over the cap.

Did not realise Maguire was gonna be sacked. He is the one I would chase only after Demitriou that is. Madge looks like a quality coach and his team belted Haslers when they met in the GF. Madge's team was so much better it aint funny. Only issue Madge has had is injuries to key players because with a full strength side his team usually wins. With Saints and the high performance team they have I think he will have a pretty solid squad to win his 2nd GF.

JDHD

Juniors
Signing Hasler will be one of the biggest mistakes in the clubs recent history.

He has single-handedly f**ked the Bulldogs, they will be feeling the effects of his poor judgement for the next few years.
- Their playing style is stale and boring, absolutely no spark or creativity.
- No passion left in the players.
- He has turned good players into trash (Lichaa, Mbye).
- Screwing up their salary cap (back-ended contracts and signing players on too much money).
- He is all about stats, nothing else.
- His style hasn't evolved with the game, you can't have big 130 kg+ players on the park anymore with the new interchange rules. Souths have found this out as well and look how they're going.
- He has completely neglected their juniors, he only cares for the first grade squad.
- He had Chase Stanley playing halfback.... Enough said.

If nothing else, Hasler f**ked their cap with back ended deals and killed their junior systems

grouch

First Grade
Hasler is a joke and totally disagree with your comment Grouch. The Manly side Des had were pretty good with DCE/Foran and Stewart brothers at their peak. Hasler is Jack the Ripper. Murderer of hookers ask Liccha. 2 Premiership wins and he is only below Bennett/ Bellamy etc? Wow. I have Brian Smith ahead of Hasler. May not have won a GF but lost 3 to Wayne Bennett and 1 to Andrew Johns led Knight. 1 GF that Hasler won was against the Warriors (seriously, anyone would have beaten them) the other was against a Storm minus Cam Smith. Did'nt do so well against the Storm when Cam Smith played and against Souths did he. He limped into to both those finals on the back of doodgy ref calls and a team way over the cap.
I barely know where to start with this utter nonsense.

Yeah the Manly side Des had was pretty good.. full of players he'd developed and brought through and helped reach their peak. Your point?
You have Brian Smith ahead of Hasler. Well, that's mighty nice of you. Factually speaking, he isn't ahead of him.
Hasler got to those grand finals and won them. Any attempt to diminish those achievements is laughable. I bet someone with as big a grudge against.. say Bennett.. as the one you hold on Hasler could produce some equally laughable comments to dismiss his grand final record too. The facts state he is a highly successful coach and, of the current crop, only behind Bellamy and Bennett

Hasler and Maguire are both better coaches than the idiot we've got. Whatever cases you make for and against them or whatever flaws they've got. They're both just better on any measure than our current clown. Not just a bit better. Considerably better.

The crisis we face is not just that we have an incompetent and unqualified moron as coach, whose record speaks for itself. It's that we now have players like De Belin, Aitken, Dufty, not to mention the players coming through the under 21s and the Cutters, who have literally never been properly coached. They've come through under Idiot #1 and Idiot # 2. We've lost a whole generation of local talent because of the incompetence of the coaches and the board and CEO who appointed them. If there was any will in the club to turn that around it would take ten years. And there is no will. We are a laughing stock.

The whole point of taking over Illawarra was not only to get the Birds and the Trbojevic's from Illawarra's talent pool, but to groom the Herberts, Garricks, Duftys, Aitkens, DeBelins, Sales, Hosts and Lawries into (at the very least) solid first graders. We blew it. And when pressure comes to rationalise "Sydney" teams over the next decade, we will be the first on the chopping block. We will be the red band on the socks of the Southern Sharks.

Doust, Price, McGregor and the board will live on in ignominy for it.

Qdf

Juniors
Hasler and Maguire are both better coaches than the idiot we've got. Whatever cases you make for and against them or whatever flaws they've got. They're both just better on any measure than our current clown. Not just a bit better. Considerably better.

The crisis we face is not just that we have an incompetent and unqualified moron as coach, whose record speaks for itself. It's that we now have players like De Belin, Aitken, Dufty, not to mention the players coming through the under 21s and the Cutters, who have literally never been properly coached. They've come through under Idiot #1 and Idiot # 2. We've lost a whole generation of local talent because of the incompetence of the coaches and the board and CEO who appointed them. If there was any will in the club to turn that around it would take ten years. And there is no will. We are a laughing stock.

The whole point of taking over Illawarra was not only to get the Birds and the Trbojevic's from Illawarra's talent pool, but to groom the Herberts, Garricks, Duftys, Aitkens, DeBelins, Sales, Hosts and Lawries into (at the very least) solid first graders. We blew it. And when pressure comes to rationalise "Sydney" teams over the next decade, we will be the first on the chopping block. We will be the red band on the socks of the Southern Sharks.

I like it,l like it a lot..
This why the NRL does nothing about
Doust & the boys.Coruption is rampant
& still nothing from the NRL.A governance that is got to be fraudulent,&still nothing from the NRL.Fans leaving the support base in the thousands.
That has to make u think,why are they theNRL) going along with all this Corrupt behavior. Can only be one thing.Run them into the ground.Then either dismantle or move to wherever..
So sad this is happening to our once great club...

St Georgio

Juniors

If the Dragons had to merge again, I would turn my back on the game for good.
And I would make it my life passion to rubbish the game and the ppl behind-the-scenes

qld redvee

Juniors
Big problem guys is if somehow we were to part ways with Mary its got to be done before they bring in the new salary cap for coaches admin etc so its not part of the cap going into next year. ideally JD would be the man and i honestly thought he would have been put into a co coach role at the minimum for 2017 or even swapped with mary . And we let him go in a heartbeat !!!!!!!!! not even a stay as assisstant ( same as Broncos deal ) He just won a GF with a great style And dont forget we signed him as attack coach yet first grade didnt attack but the steelers were lethal. Obviously there was a clash of personalities behind the scenes - look who has left us in the last couple of years - mullholland jumps real quick after season started ( if I remember ) JD and tony ayoub. so something is not right ..
We really need to say bye to hornby and young as assisstants
Wouldnt it have been nice to have kept JD and have him now taking over the reins can you only imagine what he would do with the team now we have Hunt and graham ...... OH to dream

Qdf

Juniors
Big problem guys is if somehow we were to part ways with Mary its got to be done before they bring in the new salary cap for coaches admin etc so its not part of the cap going into next year. ideally JD would be the man and i honestly thought he would have been put into a co coach role at the minimum for 2017 or even swapped with mary . And we let him go in a heartbeat !!!!!!!!! not even a stay as assisstant ( same as Broncos deal ) He just won a GF with a great style And dont forget we signed him as attack coach yet first grade didnt attack but the steelers were lethal. Obviously there was a clash of personalities behind the scenes - look who has left us in the last couple of years - mullholland jumps real quick after season started ( if I remember ) JD and tony ayoub. so something is not right ..
We really need to say bye to hornby and young as assisstants
Wouldnt it have been nice to have kept JD and have him now taking over the reins can you only imagine what he would do with the team now we have Hunt and graham ...... OH to dream
Something is not right....that my friend is the under statement of the year...
Something is definitely not right & hasn't been right for a very long time.
Shall we just say since Doust & Co change the governance & made near impossible to get voted out..

grouch

First Grade
Something is not right....that my friend is the under statement of the year...
Something is definitely not right & hasn't been right for a very long time.
Shall we just say since Doust & Co change the governance & made near impossible to get voted out..
To misquote Shakespeare... something is rotten in the state of Dapto

pinkmoon

Juniors
Signing Hasler will be one of the biggest mistakes in the clubs recent history.

He has single-handedly f**ked the Bulldogs, they will be feeling the effects of his poor judgement for the next few years.
- Their playing style is stale and boring, absolutely no spark or creativity.
- No passion left in the players.
- He has turned good players into trash (Lichaa, Mbye).
- Screwing up their salary cap (back-ended contracts and signing players on too much money).
- He is all about stats, nothing else.
- His style hasn't evolved with the game, you can't have big 130 kg+ players on the park anymore with the new interchange rules. Souths have found this out as well and look how they're going.
- He has completely neglected their juniors, he only cares for the first grade squad.
- He had Chase Stanley playing halfback.... Enough said.
You should form your own opinions based on your own observations, rather than rehashing the Telegraph.

For starters, Des' coaching managed to plot the downfall of the very team you support on the weekend.
The Dogs playing style is no different to the playing styles of the other 15 clubs, they just haven't been very effective at implementing it. This happens due to a myriad of variables; individual form, age, going stale, injuries, etc. It wasn't the Dogs year. The Roosters finished 2nd last in 2016 and they're currently running 2nd with the same coach and roster.

Just because Willie Mason said that Des had a stat book, doesn't mean anything. Mason is more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I'd sooner listen to what Hasler has to say, then I would Mason and Maitua.

The Dogs currently have one 122kg monster that Craig Bellamy thought was good enough to still send onto the park. The rest of the Dogs pack is no bigger or smaller than any other.

If you want to bring up junior development, take a good look at how many Melbourne juniors have been running around in their team in the last 10 years and ponder over the success they have had. It's not 1950 anymore, juniors are bred and then it's open slather on the market. The only club dumb enough to foster their juniors for other clubs to snap up, is Saints.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey Grouch I suppose the mess at the Bulldogs is nothing to do with Hasler then? How can he be that good a coach, have an unlimited salary cap and not only fail to win a comp with this huge advantage, but probably leave them in a huge mess. You know most his team is made up of rep players should be easily a top 4 side every year?

As for how they went this season as one of the worst attacks in the comp with again a team well above the salary cap is beyond me. Ask the Dogs fans how good a coach Hasler is? I am pretty sure they won't share your same sentiments. If anything they will find it amusing if we get him and give us more crap than they already do now.

Not making the 8 this season and scraping in the last 2 only to get flogged in the finals 28-12 by Panthers 2016 and 38-12 Roosters in 2015. This year was the year you could see coming as they have been on the decline for longer than Mary has been at Saints.

In 3 years Dogs won 37 Games to Saints 34. 3 crappy years for Dragons yet Dogs won 3 games more.

People would be giving it to Mary deluxe if they scraped into the finals and got flogged. Not super coach Hasler, he is a genius. From a clubs point of view Mary is a much cheaper option if you are getting the same rubbish hence why the club should move for Demitriou. I would even go for Barrett if they can't get Demitriou.

grouch

First Grade
Your arguments are becoming thinner by the second.

The apparent "mess" that you are speculating about... I mean, it's a subjective point at best. The Dogs fans you're afraid of might say Josh Reynolds is average and Graham is an ageing injury risk, and that Foran & Woods will be an upgrade. It's subjective. But either way, taking such risks to win comps is what ambitious clubs do. Meanwhile, we preen ourselves in the sparkling cleanliness of mediocrity

Hasler has runs on the board. He was making grand finals back when McGregor was helping the Illawarra Cutters miss the top 8 of a 14 team NSW Cup comp. Focusing on the one poor season he missed the finals in a 15year career shows either a goldfish-like short term amnesia, or deliberate ignorance.

And If you're scared about Dogs fans laughing at you then don't worry - the laughs will turn to pity soon enough. If McGregor sees out his ludicrous contract extension he will be the longest serving coach in the club's history, with absolutely nothing to show for it.

SBD82

Coach
As I understand it, the cost of having des on board is not restricted to his salary. He comes with a retinue of sports staff and an expectation of first class facilities.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but I do think that it would be a cost that our club would baulk at.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
I think Neil Henry is the one we should be going after,if we are at all looking around. He took that side to the finals and has only been screwed over by Jarryd Hayne and some of the playing group. I dont think he would have that problem with our playing group,especially without duges around anymore. The guy has proven he can coach and just needs the right fit.and would be a huge improvement on who we have.

Reactions: Qdf

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Did not realise Maguire was gonna be sacked. He is the one I would chase only after Demitriou that is. Madge looks like a quality coach and his team belted Haslers when they met in the GF. Madge's team was so much better it aint funny. Only issue Madge has had is injuries to key players because with a full strength side his team usually wins. With Saints and the high performance team they have I think he will have a pretty solid squad to win his 2nd GF.

I agree slippery re madge
And he want let the board ect interfere.
In other words he dosn't put up with shite from the players or the board.
He would help make us a top 4 chance.
But unfortunately doust and the board only want yes men

Last edited: