What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next NSW Hooker

An interesting question was raised on 2SM yesterday afternoon. One of the callers asked Graham Hughes who he thought would be the NSW origin hooker if Robbie Farah was injured this year? Hughes couldn't answer it and neither could I tbh. Ennis is basically terrible nowadays and Gidley is a week to week proposition for the Knights, let alone playing Origin. I simply don't think his body is up to it. I can't think of another viable option running around in first grade at the moment.

So the question is, if Robbie Farah was ruled out for the season in the next few rounds, who is the starting hooker for NSW in Origin 1?

I'm a Wests man so hopefully Robbie stays fit and healthy. However if the great man falls over I don't mind that Mitch Rein at Saints, he's neat and tidy and has a bit of that Origin grit about him. Totally different style of hooker to Farah though.

man2iel_

Juniors
Nathan Peats I'd definitely look at. I have a massive rap on him. If Michael Lichaa from Cronulla is the player everyone is telling me he is; why not gamble on the kid as QLD have done in the past e.g. Allan Langer in '87. The other options would be;

1. Kurt Gidley - Former captain, a little injury prone now. As a one off game, he would do the job.
2. Michael Ennis - Former NSW hooker, experienced, will not let NSW down.
3. Mitch Pearce - As Johns once did, move Pearce, select Adam Reynolds at half. Pearce is a solid defender.

mxlegend99

Referee
No good choices to be honest.

Peats, Gidley, Hinchcliffe and Ennis. That's about it. Then you have halves who may be able do to the job.

natheel

Coach
If peats continues like he did vs warriors he won't be fair off being talked about as an origin hooker. Has played city before

Vic Mackey

Referee
Personally I'd pick rein to start and peats off the bench, peats can play backrow if required and is a great defender...actually I think I'd start him

MacDougall

First Grade
Sheesh they'd probably play someone out of position. Could see them moving Pearce to hooker and bringing Carney or Mullen into the halves.

Silky

Juniors
Mitch Rein will get the nod once Farah retires and he'll be there for the next 10 years. He's a great player that's had his confidence knocked around a bit over the last two seasons because of our shit form, but hopefully playing in a winning side again will bring the best out in him.

Noname36

First Grade
Sheesh they'd probably play someone out of position. Could see them moving Pearce to hooker and bringing Carney or Mullen into the halves.

You know if it got Carney or Mullen into the halves and kept Pearce out it might not be the dumbest thing they've ever done.

Patorick

Staff member
An interesting question was raised on 2SM yesterday afternoon. One of the callers asked Graham Hughes who he thought would be the NSW origin hooker if Robbie Farah was injured this year? Hughes couldn't answer it and neither could I tbh. Ennis is basically terrible nowadays and Gidley is a week to week proposition for the Knights, let alone playing Origin. I simply don't think his body is up to it. I can't think of another viable option running around in first grade at the moment.

So the question is, if Robbie Farah was ruled out for the season in the next few rounds, who is the starting hooker for NSW in Origin 1?
Ryan Hinchcliffe.