What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal

NRLMad

Juniors
- Must be simulcast with Foxtel on it
- Must already be worth 2-3x more on channel 7
- Must allow Foxtel all networks to report on it. Just watching Foxtel it’s like they aren’t able to show anything on 7mate. Must be anti-siphoning rules!

Thoughts? How much is the deal worth? The only issue is timing - uk next right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Slight problem it's in Nh for next 2 meaning Ko times here make the rights much les valuable. 2029 till it's back here, maybe.

NRLMad

Juniors
They also need to actually sell the radio rights. The amount of times during this tournament when I've been driving and would've loved to flick the radio onto the ABC to listen to the game...
Agree - radio, tv, simulcast, print media.i accidentally didn’t tape he blockbuster game and when you go to Fox News nothing - as I think 7 has a blocker on them, the only game they kept going on about was the Australia vs Lebanon game and
For obvious reasons they can’t show replays or even scores of the other game. Is it a 7 blocker?

NRLMad

Juniors
Slight problem it's in Nh for next 2 meaning Ko times here make the rights much les valuable. 2029 till it's back here, maybe.
Your right there - was thinking about it as I posted. But it should still be worth something.

Stallion

First Grade
Your right there - was thinking about it as I posted. But it should still be worth something.

Agree and rugby league should be significantly bigger by then if it gains long overdue recognition as a sport in its own right. Once 'official ' recognition occurs rugby league is able to gain much needed government funding in many nations around the world. Something the game has not enjoyed or benefitted from in many countries worldwide.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Only way to make the next cup rights worth anything is to properly build off what this cup achieves.

If they don't then 4 years from now I doubt anyone cares let alone tv broadcasters.

colly

Juniors
Have the World Cup EVERY YEAR in Australia or 3 years out of four with one in Northern Hemisphere. Mid week games as well plus add another group stage game ie 4 games

BuffaloRules

Coach
What are the UK TV rights worth for home WC?

Anyone know what they got the last time?

Appears that no one knows...

I'm assuming that the UK rights were not worth much in 2013 and mightn't be worth much the next time...

This seems to be the Catch 22 doesn't it.. the real money spinner in the future for the RLWC will the Aust TV rights, but they will be diluted considerably by bad time slots when the tournament is played in the Northern Hemisphere...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Appears that no one knows...

I'm assuming that the UK rights were not worth much in 2013 and mightn't be worth much the next time...

This seems to be the Catch 22 doesn't it.. the real money spinner in the future for the RLWC will the Aust TV rights, but they will be diluted considerably by bad time slots when the tournament is played in the Northern Hemisphere...

As Keeping the Faith said - the game needs to build its international scene so that the game becomes more valuable. Not just cobble together full strengh squads once every four years because then the networks look at it as an All Star comp, not a World Cup and then it is worth significantly less.

Robert B

Juniors
BBC has already bought the UK rights for the next world cup. Was announced earlier this year. Australian rights not yet sold.

Pedge1971

First Grade

Just throwing it out there but could the games be scheduled earlier in the UK day to make them more tv friendly in the SH?

Would also suggest doing the same in the SH for future tournaments to suit NH tv audiences.

Night games in the SH would work crowd wise. Wondering whether 9 or 10am kick offs would work in the UK though?

colly

Juniors
Have the World Cup EVERY YEAR in Australia or 3 years out of four with one in Northern Hemisphere. Mid week games as well plus add another group stage game ie 4 games

When Oct/NOV next year comes. Won't you wish their would be world cup on....
Plus making $$$$ to share around with the 'other' countries. feel free to comment

Diesel

Referee
They also need to actually sell the radio rights. The amount of times during this tournament when I've been driving and would've loved to flick the radio onto the ABC to listen to the game...
Or give it away for free.

Last weekend I was driving during the NZ/Tonga game and all I could find was the women’s Ashes game FFS