What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Jeffmister

Juniors
Has our coverage actually regressed about 5 years? Only live into Sydney and Brisbane?!?! I can't even find Gem ratings, was it even shown to other states?
Coverage was definitely live on Gem in Melbourne because that's how I viewed the game whilst having Fox's coverage on the iPad.

I also had win HD on & had Fox on my I phone(to compare quality ) .

Was annoying as Fox was about 30secs behind the Ch 9 game .

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/24046d1c8668213e8bb17bfe8ba74795

Nine lose 100,000 viewers to Fox for NRL season opener, overall ratings rise
March 4, 2016 4:37pm
NICK WALSHAWThe Daily Telegraph

RUGBY league’s TV war has taken only one night to get brutal, with Channel 9 losing 100,000 Sydneysiders in the NRL season opener.

Battling with Fox Sports for the first time, Nine’s Thursday night broadcast between Parramatta and Brisbane was down 22 per cent in Sydney and 13 per cent nationally on last year.

With an average audience of 334,000 in Sydney, the free-to-air provider was significantly lower when compared to the 2015 opener between Brisbane and South Sydney.

Yet despite the result for Nine, the night represented a huge win for the code as overall audience numbers across both Nine and Foxtel were up 7 per cent on last season.

And just like two boxers raising their hands after the bell, so both stations were claiming the win.

Despite Nine’s loss of viewers, new Head of Sport Tom Malone insisted “viewers have overwhelmingly chosen Nine”.

Malone said any discrepancy on his station’s 2015 figures were due to the Rabbitohs who, apart boasting the biggest membership in the NRL, were also reigning premiers when they opened this season.

Asked about the loss, Malone told The Saturday Telegraph: “Viewers have overwhelmingly chosen Nine’s free-to-air coverage of the NRL over that of Fox Sports.

“Last night’s coverage on Nine had 669,000 more viewers around the country than were watching on Fox Sports.

“Any year on year variance can be attributed to the fact that the 2014 defending premiers, South Sydney, played in last year’s season opener.”

A Fox Sports spokesperson said their network would not be commenting on Nine figures. However, like their rival, the station was also claiming victory.

With an average audience of 219,000 viewers, the Fox Sports coverage of Parramatta/Brisbane was the most watched Thursday match in the channel’s history.

Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany was ecstatic with the result.

Certainly, with Nine and Fox Sports showing the same game simultaneously for the first time, the undisputed winner was rugby league.

“To explode out of the blocks and record such a strong audience for our first live Thursday night NRL broadcast is a fantastic result,’’ Delany said.

“We know fans love our coverage and now is an exciting time to be a rugby league fan. We can’t wait to keep serving up more of the great coverage viewers love.”

cleary89

Coach
Asked about the loss, Malone told The Saturday Telegraph: “Viewers have overwhelmingly chosen Nine’s free-to-air coverage of the NRL over that of Fox Sports.

“Last night’s coverage on Nine had 669,000 more viewers around the country than were watching on Fox Sports.

lol what a flog.

mikeob

Juniors
Coverage was definitely live on Gem in Melbourne because that's how I viewed the game whilst having Fox's coverage on the iPad.
I'm in Wide Bay and we get WIN Bundaberg. Last night and tonight both games were live on 9, WIN Wide Bay and WIN Wide Bay HD.

Last edited:

Jeffmister

Juniors

Of course Nine's coverage was always going to win ratings-wise when only around 30% - 35% of households have a Foxtel subscription. Frankly, a good journalist would have challenged Malone on that quote instead of publishing something which is making an apples to oranges comparison

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Bullshit biased ratings press releases are what TV is made of

They been writing shit like that since 1956

CH 9 probably put one out declaring 100% of Australia was watching Bruce Gyngell saying welcome to television

Diesel

Referee
When the NRL takes over the scheduling, can they play games at times that suit the local time zone? The Broncos KO @ 7pm loses numbers at the gate and only suits NSW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was talking Ko times, not clubs who are playing. Tv's continues to dictate when games are played and that is destroying the NRL's stated strategic goal of building crowds. We keep bending over for TV whilst accepting less money than our rival. 20k crowd avg looks a long long way off.

NRL: we want to build our crowds
TV: ok how about we play Mon and Thursday night
NRL: err ok
TV: Oh and we'd like to replace the unfriendly Monday night and bring in an even more fan unfriendly 6pm KO on a Friday next year
NRL: errr ok
TV: And we want to pay you less money than AFL
NRL: err ok

NRL Media team: Best come up with some spin as why the crowds continue to fall, I know we'll tell them how good the deal is for ALL fans as they can watch on TV more, that'll work.

Last edited: