What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/te...l-rights-in-2018/story-fndujljl-1226832057506

Ten may pursue the Nines TV rights to better its chances of winning the NRL rights in 2018

Rebecca Wilson and Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
February 20, 2014 12:00AM

CHANNEL 10 may pursue rugby league’s Auckland Nines to build on the success of its summer ratings bonanza, cricket’s T20 Big Bash League. The short form of rugby league made its debut last weekend with strong viewer figures on Fox Sports.

Ten’s potential interest in the Nines could also be a tentative first step after the network’s narrow failure to win the NRL’s $1 billion TV rights contract 18 months ago.

Industry observers believe telecasts of the truncated version of league could ultimately provide the perfect preparation for a successful bid when the NRL’s $1 billion overall rights deal with Nine and Fox Sports expires at the end of 2017.

Ten last broadcast rugby league some two decades ago, but has made strong moves in the sporting landscape in recent years.

The network boasts the BBL and V8s in its stable and is currently screening the Sochi Winter Olympics.

“Channel 10 only just missed out on rugby league a few years ago, and they aren’t giving up,” a source close to the network said. “They might not be able to get the whole rights until 2018, but they believe they can start with the Nines.”

Fox Sports was the exclusive Australian broadcaster of the Nines, comfortably the most-watched event on subscription television last week.

Almost 180,000 people tuned in to Saturday’s preliminary rounds across Australia, with the ratings lifting to 240,000 for Sunday’s final.

Fox Sports chief executive Patrick Delany was unaware of Ten’s possible interest last night, but maintained that his network held exclusive rights to cover the remaining four years of the current deal.

“I don’t want to go into too much detail, but we have the exclusive rights,” Delany said.

Although the ARLC did not green light the Nines until almost a year after the TV deal was announced, Delany confirmed the concept was catered for in his contract.

He declined to speculate whether Fox Sports would be open to on-selling the rights so that the tournament might be shown on free-to-air. The NRL also declined to clarify the Nines aspect of the TV deal.

Channel 10 head of sport David Barham confirmed the network would be interested in the tournament.

“We are looking at all sports,” Barham said. “I think the Nines has distinct possibility for free-to-air television.”

Even if the BBL and Nines schedules crossed over, the friendly time difference means the Nines would finish at 6pm, providing the perfect lead-in to the cricket’s 7.30pm start.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
“Channel 10 only just missed out on rugby league a few years ago, and they aren’t giving up,” a source close to the network said. “They might not be able to get the whole rights until 2018, but they believe they can start with the Nines.”

I wouldnt be surprised if the Telegraph read this forum then asked the Hotdog guy out the front of the 10 building for a quote.

Starkers

Bench
seems a stretch to pinch the 9's off fox now i reckon, but i'd like to see it happen. if the comp is viable in the long term it could work out well for the NRL by allowing fox to build a base of viewers before going to FTA, a bit like the big bash in it's infancy with the state teams etc.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think it would be worth it for Fox to onsell the rights to it.

It's not like they're going to make much money off sponsorship, and no one is going to sign up to Fox for the nines. They'll just buy the NRL app.

georgesnmith

Juniors
good to see 10 still want rugby league content after narrowly missing out last time.

being on a different network would only get the event far more publicity than being tucked away on Pay TV.

as usual Fox get all upset when someone else shows interest in their content, still thinking they own the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
seems a stretch to pinch the 9's off fox now i reckon, but i'd like to see it happen. if the comp is viable in the long term it could work out well for the NRL by allowing fox to build a base of viewers before going to FTA, a bit like the big bash in it's infancy with the state teams etc.

That would be true with a brand new competition (like the BBL), but this is still the NRL.

The point of letting FOX build a fan base would be to build a fanbase for the league. NRL already has that in spades, this 9s comp already has interest its just about increasing exposer (ala FTA)

Starkers

Bench
that's just like saying the BBL is ODI or test cricket. the 9's isn't the NRL is it? i think the NRL is looking to build a shorter form tournament that they can showcase the skills of the game to a wider audience, much like the BBL does for ODI or test cricket, and like the 7's does for union.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
that's just like saying the BBL is ODI or test cricket. the 9's isn't the NRL is it? i think the NRL is looking to build a shorter form tournament that they can showcase the skills of the game to a wider audience, much like the BBL does for ODI or test cricket, and like the 7's does for union.

That would be entirely true if not for one big difference...

The NRL 9s is using the NRL teams that already exist. I could have no idea how 9s works, flip on the tv and still know which team i am going for because i already have teams that i lke and teams that i hate.

That kind of emotion doesnt exist with the BBL teams (the Sydney Clap or whatever theyre called) or the 7 (obviously id support Australia but i dont know who to hate yet.)

Im not saying youre wrong about the BBL needing to begin on PayTV, but NRL9s is different. There are already enough people that care about the comp to sustain it. From here you just want to build; thats were FTA comes in, get everyone to have a look.

If the ARLC was to form a brand new summer league with brand new teams then you would be right, build of the FOX viewer, but this current comp doesnt need that.

Starkers

Bench
look, i think we're on the same side here, but that's not how the big bash started. it was a state-based league before the city-based sides were formed. all the states played the players contracted to them, much like the NRL clubs are doing with the 9's.

it could well evolve if there's an audience for it and have player auctions and so forth for teams invented tomorrow, just like the BBL has. and the emotion of the state teams has flowed into the city-based ones, the sydney and melbourne derby's had lots of feeling about them and the scorchers are hugely popular in perth.

i don't know where the 9's will go, but if it wants to advance beyond australia and new zealand it might go down that path. already UK clubs seem interested.

i think for a format that doesn't mean as much, like 9's and T20, then you're probably better off inventing teams to separate them from the seriousness of club footy, banking on the product to sell itself and spread it out around the country.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...g-code-20140225-33fkv.html?rand=1393323914583

NRL marketing guru Lewis Pullen bullish about overtaking AFL as leading code

Date
February 25, 2014 - 9:24PM

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

The NRL's new marketing guru says the next broadcast-rights deal will fetch a record sum that will position league above AFL or any other competitor as the premier Australian sport.

Lewis Pullen started his role in the governing body's newly created position as head of marketing, digital and content, just two months ago, but is already bullish about the game's prospects.

In his first interview since taking the job, the former Qantas executive opened up on the recent decision to elevate Jessica Mauboy to ''brand ambassador'' status, plans to provide spectators with exclusive content at games and how the league plans to use Sonny Bill Williams in its promotions before he defects to rugby.

However, he will be judged on what he can derive from the next broadcast deal, and in particular how it compares with the AFL, when the contract expires in four years. While industry experts predict the AFL rights could be worth up to $1.6billion by then, Pullen is adamant league will prove to be ''the biggest sports brand in the country''.

''Our job collectively is to ensure it has the No.1 spot and it should do,'' Pullen said. ''If you think of the product, how well it works on TV, how it works as a game itself. You add in things like touch [the association with touch football] and there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be No.1. That's one of the reasons I joined the organisation.''

The NRL's brand has survived several recent hits, from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority scandal to the adverse headlines stemming from player misbehaviour. However, there have been many success stories, such as the game's financial strength and the introduction of new products such as the Auckland Nines.

Which is why Pullen believes, despite uncertainty about how the game will be consumed in the new digital age, the next deal will be the most lucrative yet.

''The view here is if we grow the game and the brand, there's no reason why the value of the rights won't increase,'' he said. ''That's ultimately the strategy, to bring more value to the brand. The only thing outside our control is what happens to the media landscape. Our intention clearly is to derive as much value out of our brand and assets as we can. If you've got a bigger game, bigger attendance, more people playing and good ratings on TV, you'd have to conclude there will be another successful rights-deal process.''

Mauboy, who will be at a season launch which is open to members on Wednesday, has been part of the league's television campaign since last season. Pullen said her role would be an ongoing one.

''Jess is a fantastic ambassador for the game and helping to broaden the appeal,'' he said. ''We've actually elevated her to a brand ambassador and struck a longer-term deal rather than being a one-off TVC [television campaign]. You really get value out of a brand if it's a longer-term relationship. I wouldn't put a time limit on that.''

Pullen said the NRL would seek to use Roosters star Williams in its campaigns, but in future would focus more on league in the community rather than solely on its marquee men.

''With so many opportunities, he will feature in our advertising,'' he said. ''The key thing is to leverage that opportunity ... It's important [stars] are not bigger than the game itself, but they are also aspiration for the fans and kids.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/game-on-for-screening-rights-20140319-350wx.html

Game on for screening rights

Date
March 20, 2014

Jon Pierik
Sports writer with The Age

It remains one of pay television's greatest fights, slashing the number of events on the anti-siphoning list in order to secure more premium sports content.

Pay television's new boss Tony Shepherd has made his feelings quite clear since becoming chairman of the Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association. In a series of recent interviews, Shepherd even called the current list, which ensures key sports events remain on free TV, as ''Stalinistic and ridiculous''.

Foxtel, he says, wants to negotiate directly with sporting bodies, rather than free-to-air networks, who have protected events on the list.

Shepherd wants the current list of about 1300 events stripped to several hundred. The list covers such events as the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, the Melbourne Cup, rugby league's State of Origin, the Australian Grand Prix and cricket's Test matches and netball internationals held on local soil.

However, it should be remembered Foxtel can acquire these rights if a free-to-air network has not done so 12 weeks before the start of the event, or if the rights are held by either the ABC or SBS.

A check of the fineprint shows the anti-siphoning scheme does not ''guarantee'' free-to-air broadcasters exclusive rights to the events on the list but, ridiculously in this high-tech age, does not ''compel'' these same networks to televise these events ''live, in full or at all'' should they secure the rights. Shepherd should have a good argument on that regard.

And the laws have somewhat softened.

Fox Sports, after all, has secured the rights for 2014 to 2016 to golf's US Masters for the first time in a deal with the Augusta National Golf Club. This prestigious tournament is on the anti-siphoning list, and Seven edged Ten for the free-to-air rights.

The list also stipulates ''each race'' of the V8 Supercar series, including the Bathurst 1000, should be shown on free to air. However, once the V8s' modest current deal with Seven expires this year, Ten and Fox Sports will begin a $241-million partnership, with Ten televising only six races.

There were also changes to the list in 2011, with the likes of golf's British Open and certain cricket matches removed but all FIFA World Cup qualifiers involving Australia added.

Foxtel's motive is to lift its penetration in the Australian market, which is stagnant at about 30 per cent. It's felt more premium sport would boost subscriptions. The manner in which Foxtel has aggressively advertised its Fox Footy channel in the past month has reinforced how important live sport is to the network.

But the case for more exclusive sport on pay television remains something of a chicken-and-egg dilemma. That only 30 per cent of Australian households have pay television means a significant number would miss out on certain events should they not be on free to air.

Auspoll research, however, says 47 per cent of Australians want the anti-siphoning list cut, while 22 per cent want it abolished.

Foxtel chief executive Richard Freudenstein has proposed a shorter list and also argued that ''anti-siphoning reduces the money available to sporting bodies and therefore the amount they can invest in both at the elite level and grass roots''.

But it's still a case of buyer beware for all sports. V8 Supercars may profit when Foxtel, contributing the bulk of the cash, televises all races live from next year but the deal could disadvantage a large group of its core supporters. Ten does have replay rights to other races but it's unclear when these will be shown.

Free TV chairman Harold Mitchell has also pointed out the anti-siphoning rules have not stopped the AFL, NRL and Cricket Australia from securing record rights contracts. The AFL and NRL deals have been done in partnership with Foxtel, which uses the match broadcasts and associated shows as pillars of its sports channels.

Just as there are tit-for-tat responses on the field, the same can be said in the world of sports television. With the rights to live sport carrying increasing weight for networks - look at how Nine benefited from the home Ashes series win - one report has suggested free-to-air channels are increasingly negotiating pay television rights in order to warehouse them from Foxtel, in response to Foxtel securing valuable content deals with the BBC and excellent US Channel HBO.

As is often the case in life, politics is involved, and the debate over the anti-siphoning list is no different. On that note, it's over to you, Malcolm Turnbull.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/business/samu...ainst-cutting-tv-lifeline-20140323-35bla.html

Samuel warns sporting codes against cutting TV lifeline

Date
March 24, 2014

Max Mason
Business Reporter

Australian Rugby League commissioner Graeme Samuel believes internet-delivered television is extremely important to the future of Australian sport, but codes would be disadvantaged if they cut out broadcasters and sold directly to consumers.

The large sums of cash that free-to-air networks and Foxtel are prepared to pay for the big three sports: rugby league, AFL and cricket cannot be matched if a sporting body decides to forgo broadcasters and sell subscriptions to customers instead.

''If they were to try to emulate what the free-to-air networks or Fox Sports are doing, I don't believe the business case will stack up, because they can't monetise the amount that equates to what they get, which has halo effect premium built in,'' Mr Samuel said.

The halo effect is the goodwill created by having premium sport, as well as the ability to cross-promote other programming.

Broadcast deals for the NRL and AFL are worth $1.025 billion and $1.253 billion respectively. Telstra holds digital rights to both sports, paying $100 million for NRL, and $153 million for AFL.

Mr Samuel is the former chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and was an integral part of rights negotiations between broadcasters and the NRL in 2012, working as a consultant, before joining the ARLC, which governs the NRL, in 2013. He is also a former AFL commissioner.

''With the free-to-air networks and Foxtel, they can't fully monetise through advertising or subscription revenue,'' Mr Samuel said. ''What they have is a 'halo effect' which has an impact on the overall profile of the network or the subscription television service.

''If you're a sporting body producing your own content and then going to sell that content, you can't get that halo effect, because you're looking at it as a pure profit-loss equation.''

Internet protocol television and video on demand are simply another means of transporting content, Mr Samuel said. As technology evolves there will be more joint-venture partnerships, such as the one between the NRL, Nine, Foxtel and Telstra.

TV is overwhelmingly the favourite viewing technology. Australians, on average, watch close to 96 hours of televisions per month, while watching video on their laptops for close to 5.5 hours, 1.5 hours on their smartphones and 50 minutes on their tablets, according to Nielsen research.

Telstra is in the unique position, among the world's telecommunications companies, of owning 50 per cent of pay TV provider Foxtel and being the principal NRL sponsor, so the extent to which it will push its NRL digital pass, and any other future sport offers, may be limited due to a reluctance to draw viewers away from Foxtel.

Instead, Telstra is likely to focus on mobile and tablet and has already pushed heavily into the area.

The AFL and NRL official apps for smartphones and tablets, developed by Telstra, have been downloaded 1.8 million and 800,000 times respectively.

applesauce

Bench
Fails to mention that advertising revenue is kept in house in addition to subscriptions revenue if the NRL cuts out broadcasters.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Foxtel is worth over $1 billion dollars, maybe 2 billion now

that was built off the back of rugby league and nothing else.

the fact that the nrl can consider digital options will mean Foxtel has to pay what its worth

even on the current deal we are still getting under relative to the AFL.

most of the AFL content isnt exclusive to Foxtel and the NRL is still far and away the top ratings product on the network.

next time around the ARLC should be aiming for 30 - 50% more from Foxtel than what AFL get.

if they lose the rights to the nrl they wont survive with AFL only. they cant afford to lose the league but with first and last rights have yet to pay anywhere near market value for it

insert.pause

First Grade
Foxtel is worth over $1 billion dollars, maybe 2 billion now

that was built off the back of rugby league and nothing else.

the fact that the nrl can consider digital options will mean Foxtel has to pay what its worth

even on the current deal we are still getting under relative to the AFL.

most of the AFL content isnt exclusive to Foxtel and the NRL is still far and away the top ratings product on the network.

next time around the ARLC should be aiming for 30 - 50% more from Foxtel than what AFL get.

if they lose the rights to the nrl they wont survive with AFL only. they cant afford to lose the league but with first and last rights have yet to pay anywhere near market value for it

Based on last year that's no longer true, there were only 12 NRL games in the top 100 rating STV programs in 2013 and I think the highest was like no.30. It's not unexpected when the AFL have every game bar the grand final on STV. The fact that the NRL still have a lot of content exclusive to 9 means they have more to offer foxtel next deal, the afl don't really have anything new to offer in their next deal.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
Based on last year that's no longer true, there were only 12 NRL games in the top 100 rating STV programs in 2013 and I think the highest was like no.30. It's not unexpected when the AFL have every game bar the grand final on STV. The fact that the NRL still have a lot of content exclusive to 9 means they have more to offer foxtel next deal, the afl don't really have anything new to offer in their next deal.

NRL averaged 240k vs 220k for AFL

the figures this year show league in front except for one or two games.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Telstra is in the unique position, among the world's telecommunications companies, of owning 50 per cent of pay TV provider Foxtel and being the principal NRL sponsor, so the extent to which it will push its NRL digital pass, and any other future sport offers, may be limited due to a reluctance to draw viewers away from Foxtel.

NRL should be doing this in house and letting Telstra get involved

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
We should be winning by more than 20k per game

As our fox games are exclusive and theirs on the majority aren't

Fox games are a bit of a worry

Used to top 350k a game.

Now lucky to get 250k

Status
Not open for further replies.