What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
No but they do have 4 games and they are the best timeslot games. I would of thought the NRL would of sold digital rights exclusive but looks like Telstra will have to share 4 matches with ch9.

The streaming rights for those games have yet to be sold, Smith was very clear on this at the announcement.

"And we still have simulcast rights, pay TV, New Zealand and international television rights to be negotiated.

Smith said that, while the initial focus had been on free-to-air rights, the NRL had already held extensive discussions with a number of operators involved in pay television and streaming rights.

"The digital media market is changing rapidly and it is our view that new and exciting opportunities will develop with Fox Sports and other providers," he said.

"By 2018, the digital world will be very different and we want to be in the best possible position to take advantage of any changes."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-nrl-925-million-tv-deal-20150809-giv9vt.html

applesauce

Bench
The streaming rights for those games have yet to be sold, Smith was very clear on this at the announcement.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-nrl-925-million-tv-deal-20150809-giv9vt.html

Nope. Simulcasting of the premium online games is on the table for Telstra.

Channel 9 have non-exclusive online rights to their 4 games.

With Nine having gained four matches live, including streaming rights, Fox Sports will now reconsider its options. The pay-TV operator had also been keen for some digital streaming rights, given it will launch a new Fox Sports app later this year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...ion-rights-20150809-giva5s.html#ixzz3pefayDeh

DMS

Juniors
After watching the wwe network today i can't help to think the nrl should be using their model for the next broadcast rights....its a great service they offer

LESStar58

Referee
Why would John come out and refute it?

That would mean he is paying attention to the spin doctors, bloody hell he has bigger things on his mind than replying.

The commission has done very well to ignore all these story's so far i don't see that changing.

The more the ARLC stays quite the more News shits its self that it might loose NRL or have to pay market value.

Unfortunately most Aussies follow MSM like Gospal. I have no doubt the ARLC can hold its nerve but can the mass of NRL fans do the same, i don't think so.

It just makes me f**kin angry is all!

Perth Red

Post Whore
LOL how could I forget this goose.

Sorry what I mean't was which club CEO.

Strangely I think the struggling clubs have lost an ally in smith. He clearly believed they all need to be rescued no matter the cost to the NRL. I doubt grant and Samuels will be so accomodating. I don't doubt some ceo's would like to,see grant gome and the clubs have more control of the commission.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Strangely I think the struggling clubs have lost an ally in smith. He clearly believed they all need to be rescued no matter the cost to the NRL. I doubt grant and Samuels will be so accomodating. I don't doubt some ceo's would like to,see grant gome and the clubs have more control of the commission.

You could be right in this....

There were reports previously that Smith felt every Sydney club should be protected while Grant believed in a kind of "survival of the fittest".

Last Week

Bench

Sacking one commissioner isn't going to give the clubs more power. It would take 14 clubs and either the NSWRL or QRL to vote a commissioner out. And even if they succeeded, the remaining commissioners are the ones who choose the replacement.

No journalist has the inside track on the negotiations. No one had any idea that the deal with Nine was coming. No club chairmen, no Channel 9 employees, no ARLC employees (Paul Kind anyone?). Not one leak. Both parties conducted themselves professionally. The standard line is that they are in negotiations and cannot comment. Those in the negotiating room at News Corp are doing the same. These journalists are just fan boys of News Corp.

The day before the last deal was announced, News journalists were saying it was going to be worth something like $800million total. Not one of them thought it would get to $1billion, no one predicted that the F&L rights would be dropped, return to night time GF, nothing. The day it was announced, some were saying that the $1billion included streaming, internet and NZ rights but it didn't.

This is just the same formula as last time.

Nerd

Bench
No journalist has the inside track on the negotiations. No one had any idea that the deal with Nine was coming. No club chairmen, no Channel 9 employees, no ARLC employees (Paul Kind anyone?). Not one leak. Both parties conducted themselves professionally. The standard line is that they are in negotiations and cannot comment. Those in the negotiating room at News Corp are doing the same. These journalists are just fan boys of News Corp.

The day before the last deal was announced, News journalists were saying it was going to be worth something like $800million total. Not one of them thought it would get to $1billion, no one predicted that the F&L rights would be dropped, return to night time GF, nothing. The day it was announced, some were saying that the $1billion included streaming, internet and NZ rights but it didn't.

:clap:

docbrown

Coach
Sacking one commissioner isn't going to give the clubs more power. It would take 14 clubs and either the NSWRL or QRL to vote a commissioner out. And even if they succeeded, the remaining commissioners are the ones who choose the replacement.

Hard to argue logically with any of that (though some will try :lol:)

Finding out what the NRL wants is actually easy -- all you have to do is talk to the right people or the people who know the right people.

The problem with the News Ltd hacks is that they're obligated to tow the company line. Publishing anything that conflicts or can affect that -- like saying what the NRL wants in a positive manner -- is frowned upon. That's not journalism. That's corporate PR.

But even if you know what the NRL wants and what their options are (and few do), there are so many variables involved, if you try to put a definitive number on it you're more than likely to be proven wrong.

As you say - no one predicted the exact Channel 9 price before it was announced, especially not the current batch of pessimists, hacks and fumbletards. They usually have an agenda so they can't be taken seriously.

LJC

Juniors
The most potent and attractive sports product on television year in and year out, being rugby league, should not be insulted by the petty crap that snipes at the game courtesy of, particularly News Ltd media. Unfortunately, this is the way of the world, and this magnificent rugby code has to put up with it! Rugby leagues issues are profound and relate to the core of society, the school systems of the world.

Until RL gains decent access to all such scholastic systems this great sport will be on the back burner and ,unfortunately, not to be experienced by millions of people who know no better throughout the world!

It's a sporting tragedy but the 'friends in high places" of a rival rugby code see things differently and unfortunately have the control and influence. Shame on those bigots. They are perpetrating a sporting injustice that not only denies freedom of choice but in the long run a better sports individual. The current RU players are not being tested as they should as on a rugby league field. They have limited opportunity(about a quarter the amount in a game compared to RL) to run and tackle and subsequently much less on ball action.

A real shame!

docbrown

Coach
He said he never apologised to News Corp or Telstra and there's no truth to it at all, so Davidson has been caught out blatantly lying yet again.

Considering it doesn't win him anything and he isn't exactly forced to speak out on the subject - I mean look at how quiet they've been over the past year - it just goes to highlight the News Ltd bullshit factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.