What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Draft Season 2018

shiznit

Coach
Now with the college football season over we are moving into the senior bowl...

Which to me is when I start looking at the draft.

Mel Kiper has also released his first mock...

b69555aq2ua01.png

DC_fan

Coach
For once I agree with Kiper. Dallas need a disruptive tackle who is huge, and Vea fits this description.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I really don't see the 9ers taking Ward at all. Doesn't fit the CB mould the 9ers have been going for since Lynch took over.

nick87

Coach
I think the Eagles are a prime candidate to trade back unless something stupid happens like with Rueben Foster... like if Roquan Smith free falls, the idea of plugging him into this D, i mean, you have to pull the trigger

if we use the pick, i think OT is the right value/need pick, there will be some good ones there who can take a year to learn under JP, and you hope at best you get a franchise LT, or at worst a long term RT with Lane moving to LT. Miller/Williams fit the bill, would prefer Williams because i think he's a sure fire RT at worst, which is fine when we have Lane who i think could easily be an elite LT

Shorty

Staff member
For once I agree with Kiper. Dallas need a disruptive tackle who is huge, and Vea fits this description.
Yep makes sense.

I can't believe the hype Mayfield is getting.
This is a kid that basically stormed off from Texas Tech and walked on OU.
There's being arrogant and there's being a grade A diva.
Mayfield is the latter, and that's not even getting into how undersized he is.
Some Browns fans want him at #1!

DC_fan

Coach
Yep makes sense.

I am not sure he is #1 overall talent. But I suspect he will go in the top half of the first round. As for his size, we will need to wait to the combine to get a correct height

beave

Coach
Yep makes sense.

He will get destroyed in the NFL.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Yep makes sense.

For the senior bowl, he measured at 6' 3/8" and 9.5" hands. Weighed in at 216lbs. He's big enough.

As a Broncos fan, I hope we take him at #5. He lifts players around him, goes through progressions pretty well and is obviously great at extending plays when the pocket falls apart around him, he definitely needs to show he can be more comfortable under centre though. He's got a shitload of talent and the best QB in the draft IMO. He looks like he could have more talent than Russel Wilson if his ego is applied in the right way. He's obviously a guy everyone loves to hate if he isn't on your team but he seems to be a real leader in the locker room and all his team mates talk highly of him.

Rosen has more character questions than Mayfield IMO. I really don't get the hype around Allen at all, he has the accuracy of a scud missile and shows no touch, he is Paxton Lynch 2.0. Darnold obviously looks like the real deal and Lamar Jackson also looks great as a later 1st, early 2nd pick.

With that said, this is a pretty stacked QB draft class, any in the top 5 or 6 have a pretty good shot of being in the NFL for a long time.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Size is often really overrated.

Don't know how good he'll be but Mayfield will have a better career than Josh Allen who is the prototype every scout wants when it comes to size.

skeepe

Immortal
For the Raiders is love to see us take Minkah Fitzpatrick or Roquan Smith if either are still available by pick 10.

I think I favour Fitzpatrick a little more at this stage because our DBs really need help - TJ Carrie being our best performer there doesn’t sit well with me.

That said, linebacker may be a bigger need if we can’t do a deal to bring Bowman back.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Josh Allen summed up in a 33 second video. Has an absolute cannon for an arm but man is he a massive project, it's insane that people are talking about him potentially being #1 overall.

shiznit

Coach
For the Raiders is love to see us take Minkah Fitzpatrick or Roquan Smith if either are still available by pick 10.

I think I favour Fitzpatrick a little more at this stage because our DBs really need help - TJ Carrie being our best performer there doesn’t sit well with me.

That said, linebacker may be a bigger need if we can’t do a deal to bring Bowman back.
Unless something comes up health or character wise... Fitzpatrick won’t be on the board when we pick.

It’s still early but I think Smith should be...

If we want Fitzpatrick we will have to trade up in the first... which Reggie never does.

Shorty

Staff member
He will get destroyed in the NFL.
How many times have we seen this sh*t already?
The fantastic college QB that almost always bombs in the NFL.
I don't get the hype.
For the senior bowl, he measured at 6' 3/8" and 9.5" hands. Weighed in at 216lbs. He's big enough.

As a Broncos fan, I hope we take him at #5. He lifts players around him, goes through progressions pretty well and is obviously great at extending plays when the pocket falls apart around him, he definitely needs to show he can be more comfortable under centre though. He's got a shitload of talent and the best QB in the draft IMO. He looks like he could have more talent than Russel Wilson if his ego is applied in the right way. He's obviously a guy everyone loves to hate if he isn't on your team but he seems to be a real leader in the locker room and all his team mates talk highly of him.

Rosen has more character questions than Mayfield IMO. I really don't get the hype around Allen at all, he has the accuracy of a scud missile and shows no touch, he is Paxton Lynch 2.0. Darnold obviously looks like the real deal and Lamar Jackson also looks great as a later 1st, early 2nd pick.

With that said, this is a pretty stacked QB draft class, any in the top 5 or 6 have a pretty good shot of being in the NFL for a long time.
He's not big enough to take at #1 no way and not in that conference.
I've only heard character flaw rumours of Rosen, nothing confirmed.
Rosen imo is the best in the draft, the others aren't as complete.

Mayfield is very Manziel, oodles of time in the pocket that he won't be getting in the NFL.
That said maybe in that regard Denver is a target, Elway likes him.

I like Allen but unfortunately he's got too many flaws at this stage...I think he's getting attention because he's a bit Wentz like (small system, big guy, likable etc).

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Mayfield is very Manziel, oodles of time in the pocket that he won't be getting in the NFL.

I like Allen but unfortunately he's got too many flaws at this stage...I think he's getting attention because he's a bit Wentz like (small system, big guy, likable etc).
I honestly don't see the parallels between Mayfield and Manziel, it's certainly easy to draw them as they're both outspoken college players, but that's where it ends. Mayfield is a lot more accurate and has great decision making on both short and long plays. Manziel played the sport because he loved the idea of being a celebrity, Mayfield's make up seems to be that he loves the game and his team mates love playing with him. Manziel was a show pony in college always going for the big plays, there is a lot more nuance in the way Mayfield plays.

It's a lazy comparison IMO. Rosen has an off-field reputation closer to Manziel, minus the drug abuse.

I don't think Mayfield will go #1. I'm not even convinced the Browns will draft a QB #1 or #4, I think they'll try and get Cousins in FA, snag Barkley and trade away their other pick. But who knows with the Browns, I think if they pick a QB, they pick Rosen or Allen (based on talk from their local media).

shiznit

Coach
How many times have we seen this sh*t already?
The fantastic college QB that almost always bombs in the NFL.
I don't get the hype.

I’m not a big fan of taking Rosen early....

The more I see of the kid the more I really hate the idea of taking him with a top 5 pick.

I’ve seen a bit of his tape now.... and I’ve read up on the evaluations on him also... to me I think there’s no doubt he’s the most polished QB prospect in the class... and because of that he’s the most pro-ready.

But I just don’t see anything overly special about him. He’s kinda average everywhere and I just don’t know if he’s the franchise changing piece that teams are looking for this early in the draft.

I like Darnold better. He’s not as polished... But I think you can polish the rough spots... I think his upside flashes Aaron Rodgers IMO...

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I’m not a big fan of taking Rosen early....

The more I see of the kid the more I really hate the idea of taking him with a top 5 pick.

I’ve seen a bit of his tape now.... and I’ve read up on the evaluations on him also... to me I think there’s no doubt he’s the most polished QB prospect in the class... and because of that he’s the most pro-ready.

But I just don’t see anything overly special about him. He’s kinda average everywhere and I just don’t know if he’s the franchise changing piece that teams are looking for this early in the draft.

I like Darnold better. He’s not as polished... But I think you can polish the rough spots... I think his upside flashes Aaron Rodgers IMO...

Never trust USC QBs more often than not they end up being Busts, or at best Carson Palmer

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Rosen will not end up at the Browns. Almost zero chance.

Darnold if they're smart, Allen if they want to keep on Browning.

Pick up a vet QB for a year or two so they can sit and learn.

Shorty

Staff member
I honestly don't see the parallels between Mayfield and Manziel, it's certainly easy to draw them as they're both outspoken college players, but that's where it ends. Mayfield is a lot more accurate and has great decision making on both short and long plays. Manziel played the sport because he loved the idea of being a celebrity, Mayfield's make up seems to be that he loves the game and his team mates love playing with him. Manziel was a show pony in college always going for the big plays, there is a lot more nuance in the way Mayfield plays.

It's a lazy comparison IMO. Rosen has an off-field reputation closer to Manziel, minus the drug abuse.

I don't think Mayfield will go #1. I'm not even convinced the Browns will draft a QB #1 or #4, I think they'll try and get Cousins in FA, snag Barkley and trade away their other pick. But who knows with the Browns, I think if they pick a QB, they pick Rosen or Allen (based on talk from their local media).
Rosen has rumours of being a douche or difficult.
Peyton had them as did Rodgers.
Mayfield has (and the personality does fit with Manziel, I notice fanboys hate it but the shoe fits..) had a dui, running from bloody police, stripped of captaincy, god knows how many on field poor sports behaviours.
He also plays behind a star studded offensive line and rarely has to make NFL throws.
But I'm sure he'll get overdrafted.

Rosen will not end up at the Browns. Almost zero chance.

Darnold if they're smart, Allen if they want to keep on Browning.

Pick up a vet QB for a year or two so they can sit and learn.
Yep I agree with that.
I think they should persevere with Kizer, who lasted an entire season and shows promise and get A.Smith.
But they have a few draft picks up their sleeve, they're a good position.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Rosen has rumours of being a douche or difficult.
Peyton had them as did Rodgers.
Mayfield has (and the personality does fit with Manziel, I notice fanboys hate it but the shoe fits..) had a dui, running from bloody police, stripped of captaincy, god knows how many on field poor sports behaviours.
He also plays behind a star studded offensive line and rarely has to make NFL throws.
But I'm sure he'll get overdrafted.
Rosen has been quoted as saying he's only in it for the money and has the playboy reputation. Also reportedly all of his teammates hate him. Funnily enough, Rosen too has had to try and refute Manziel comparisons over the years.

Manziel was a rich drug addicted playboy in university. One where there were constant rumours and off-field incidents circling about his behaviour. Mayfield had one significant incident and he acts like a douche on the field. There are parallels as I said, but they aren't close to the same level of behaviour and Mayfield is a much, much more talented player and a leader in his locker room. Manziel couldn't read defences and resorted to hail mary play after play, which can work at the college level, Mayfield doesn't play that way at all.

For a guy who is a terrible person and doesn't care about the game, his coach sure doesn't seem to agree. Calling him a once in a lifetime special player and chokes up when talking about his character.

Last edited: