What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Draft Season 2018

Shorty

Staff member
Rosen has been quoted as saying he's only in it for the money and has the playboy reputation. Also reportedly all of his teammates hate him. Funnily enough, Rosen too has had to try and refute Manziel comparisons over the years.

Manziel was a rich drug addicted playboy in university. One where there were constant rumours and off-field incidents circling about his behaviour. Mayfield had one significant incident and he acts like a douche on the field. There are parallels as I said, but they aren't close to the same level of behaviour and Mayfield is a much, much more talented player and a leader in his locker room. Manziel couldn't read defences and resorted to hail mary play after play, which can work at the college level, Mayfield doesn't play that way at all.

For a guy who is a terrible person and doesn't care about the game, his coach sure doesn't seem to agree. Calling him a once in a lifetime special player and chokes up when talking about his character.
You got a link for that Rosen stuff? Seems super weird he'd say that considering his folks are apparently doctors lol.
I've heard he is outspoken about things, he's not a Trump fan etc, hottub in his dorm.
Usual jock d**k stuff but that he's also very football intelligent and professional.
He throws very well, familiar with NFL schemes and has the size obviously.

Coaches will of course talk up their boys, so I don't take much stock in that.
The main comparison with Manziel is maturity which is clearly a concern.
Bolting from cops is just ridiculous, this was just last year too.
In any case he'd be worth the risk late 1st or early 2nd, but a worry in top 10.
I don't think field wise he's like Wilson, maybe Brett Favre and the way he uses his body is closer to Brees.

If they both have character concerns you'd prefer to take the one that has more potential and upside.

Btw Allen looked at lot better in the Senior Bowl, as did the OSU quarterback.
There's a lot of good quarterbacks in this draft.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You got a link for that Rosen stuff? Seems super weird he'd say that considering his folks are apparently doctors lol.
I've heard he is outspoken about things, he's not a Trump fan etc, hottub in his dorm.
Usual jock d**k stuff but that he's also very football intelligent and professional.
He throws very well, familiar with NFL schemes and has the size obviously.
Manziel's parents are super rich as well, I'm not sure what his parents do has to do with it? Publications have been running with articles saying he is happy to play football and earn the big money to support his playboy lifestyle and has no issue saying controversial things as it gets him in the news and boosts his value. How much of that is true, I don't know. However, it certainly sounds a lot more familiar with Manziel over a guy that is well liked on his team and has a reputation for being a very hard worker.

Coaches will of course talk up their boys, so I don't take much stock in that.
The main comparison with Manziel is maturity which is clearly a concern.
Bolting from cops is just ridiculous, this was just last year too.
In any case he'd be worth the risk late 1st or early 2nd, but a worry in top 10.
I don't think field wise he's like Wilson, maybe Brett Favre and the way he uses his body is closer to Brees.
Of course coaches will talk up their players, but you certainly wouldn't have seen that kind of talk come from Kevin Sumlin about Manziel. At many times they wouldn't even speak to each other if reports are to be believed.

I'm not defending bolting from cops, it's idiotic, but if idiotic stuff put QB's leadership abilities under a cloud, some of the greatest QB's ever would never have made it.

If they both have character concerns you'd prefer to take the one that has more potential and upside.
Which is Mayfield IMO. He's got all the skills and will be a player team mates rally behind. He has the intangibles. Rosen is talented, no question but I don't think he is the superstar that he is being made out to be.

Btw Allen looked at lot better in the Senior Bowl, as did the OSU quarterback.
There's a lot of good quarterbacks in this draft.
I watched the game. Mayfield only had 2 drives and left the game at halftime. Allen and Lee both had much more game time. All of North's QBs were outplayed by Lauletta.

Looking at an All Star game to determine a players worth is a fools errand, unless you're talking about 4-7th rounders.

shiznit

Coach
Rosen's ceiling is Jay Cutler. You don't want Jay Cutler.
Interesting you say that... I was actually thinking the other day about Jay Cutler as a comp for Josh Allen.

I think hes got that prototypical size that they look for and a big arm...

But you worry about his accuracy... he misses some easy throws.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Interesting you say that... I was actually thinking the other day about Jay Cutler as a comp for Josh Allen.

I was thinking more attitude wise with Cutler and Rosen comparison because I think it's what will hold Rosen back. The guy doesn't have the drive to make it big.

Allen feels like the next Blake Bortles to me. Not in measureables, just level of play. He'll look good for 3-4 game stretches and the horrible for the next 3-4.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Josh Allen by all accounts seems pretty driven. His accuracy is a huge concern. I read something really interesting about his stats in that in terms of his receivers, they had one of the lowest drop rates of any the QB's in the draft (something like 4.5%), compared to the likes of Mayfield and Jackson are 11%+. So his lack of accuracy is actually even worse than it looks compared to his competition, in that his receivers are actually boosting his stats or he isn't even close to hitting them that they don't register as a dropped catch.

Allen may turn out to be a great QB, you can coach accuracy, but he's at least a 2-3 year project and a huge gamble at the pick numbers people are touting him at. He is a Browns pick if I ever saw one.

As for Rosen, everything I've heard about him, I just don't get where the hype is coming from. Talent only gets you so far. I'd take Darnold, Mayfield and even Allen or Jackson if that meant we could draft Barkley. I say that, and watch the Broncos take Rosen if he's available hah.

Last edited:

Zigwaa

Bench
Interesting to see if this dude gets drafted, one handed linebacker. I can't see an NFL team taking a chance but would be a great story if they did.

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/draft201...handed-lb-shaquem-griffin-gets-invite-combine

Shaquem Griffin is heading to the NFL scouting combine after all.

The star linebacker from the University of Central Florida has received an invitation to the combine, his agent confirmed Tuesday. It's a significant development as Griffin attempts to become the first player with one hand to be drafted during the league's modern era, according to the NFL.

The news of his combine invitation comes after Griffin stood out at the Senior Bowl, where he was named practice player of the week.

"Thank you all for all ya'll support. The entire nation's behind me and I couldn't do it without you. I'm going to let you know: something special's coming soon and you're going to see it," Griffin said in a video he tweeted. "They invited the right one to the NFL combine. I'm going to show you. I've got a lot to prove. Against all odds."

shaquem griffin

✔@Shaquemgriffin

#NFLcombine bound!!
1f64f-1f3fe.png
1f64f-1f3fe.png
1f64f-1f3fe.png
#AgainstAllOdds

4:43 AM - Jan 31, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Griffin's left hand was amputated at age 4 because of a congenital condition called amniotic band syndrome. Despite that, he was a two-year starter at UCF and a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection both seasons. He was the AAC's defensive player of the year in 2016 and was named the defensive MVP of the Peach Bowl, which completed UCF's 13-0 2017 season.

That he was not included on the initial list of combine invitees came as a surprise to many, including his twin brother, Shaquill Griffin, a cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks.

"I feel like any other player who has the accolades that he has and everything that he's accomplished, he'd be the first person to have a combine invite," Shaquill told ESPN last week. "And you're going to tell me the reason why is because of his situation? That's not fair. I'm not sure what else he has to prove at that point. That's the reason why I stood up [for him], not just because he's my twin brother. He proved everybody wrong, he did everything he's done, he has all the accolades, he's a baller. I don't see why he shouldn't have a combine invite."

San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch said. "I think everyone's watching closely. You talk to people at UCF, and they talk about a program-changer. A guy who is obviously inspiring, but not just inspiring -- who was a big-time contributor.

"So if you keep checking the boxes ... and this [week] was another box for him, and I think he's accounted for himself very well."

Griffin was credited with four tackles during the Senior Bowl game.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Interesting to see if this dude gets drafted, one handed linebacker. I can't see an NFL team taking a chance but would be a great story if they did.

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/draft201...handed-lb-shaquem-griffin-gets-invite-combine
I can't see anyone willing to take a punt on him in the draft. He may get picked up as a udfa though, he did look good in the senior bowl but did have a miss on that hand which would obviously reinforce doubts.

Super talented kid considering his disability though, would be an amazing story if he makes it

Shorty

Staff member
Rosen's ceiling is Jay Cutler. You don't want Jay Cutler.
Yes I'd agree with that but I think he's just really arrogant.
If he's arrogant but has the football to back it up it's not as big deal, there are plenty in the NFL.

FD we'll just agree to disagree, I completely disagree with everything you said.
Thank goodness Dallas isn't looking for a quarterback this year.

With A.Smith gone, CLE is still looking interesting.

abpanther

Staff member
Yep makes sense.

I can't believe the hype Mayfield is getting.
This is a kid that basically stormed off from Texas Tech and walked on OU.
There's being arrogant and there's being a grade A diva.
Mayfield is the latter, and that's not even getting into how undersized he is.
Some Browns fans want him at #1!

Man I couldn't disagree more, I'm very high on Mayfield

Shorty

Staff member
Man I couldn't disagree more, I'm very high on Mayfield
Most people are.
I watched some film this morning and still don't think he's a better prospect than Darnold or Rosen.
Like 90% of Mayfield's throws are to wide open receivers, even Lamar Jackson (who I think someone might get for a steal) threw to tighter windows.

I think Darnold goes number 1, he's very promising.
Haven't watched much on Allen so might do that next.

Tom155

Coach
Cool little video about Josh Rosen, Derwin James, Orlando Brown + others preparing for the combine/draft

nick87

Coach
Mayock pre-combine conference call is out there for your ear holes.
Finished listening this morning, love Mike. Sounds like he thinks McGlinchy or Evans/Vander Esch might be there for the Eagles @ 32
Though i agree with him that a trade down for someone coming up for a QB so they get the 5th year option might be the best option

zombie jesus

Staff member
Finished listening this morning, love Mike. Sounds like he thinks McGlinchy or Evans/Vander Esch might be there for the Eagles @ 32
Though i agree with him that a trade down for someone coming up for a QB so they get the 5th year option might be the best option
I think the Steelers and Eagles might be on the same draft path.

nick87

Coach
I think the Steelers and Eagles might be on the same draft path.
Yeah i think so, Eagles probably looking at Off the ball LB's, OL, TE and S... Sort of matches the Steelers

the major deviation maybe that the steelers might need to consider a Qb pretty early. Not first round but probably taking a stab in the dark in rounds 2 or 3

zombie jesus

Staff member
Yeah i think so, Eagles probably looking at Off the ball LB's, OL, TE and S... Sort of matches the Steelers

the major deviation maybe that the steelers might need to consider a Qb pretty early. Not first round but probably taking a stab in the dark in rounds 2 or 3
QB should be off the board, Ben will play out his 2 years and maybe beyond, he got the OC he wanted. Art Rooney was talking about an extension, he doesn't say much, but when he does it usually happens. Jones and Dobbs can sort out the depth chart between them.

First 2 rounds I think they take defensive BPA that's not a DL leaning towards LB/S. Even the first 3 rounds if they hold onto Bell. Offensive side is settled.