What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFLize the NRL in Team Numbers

alien

Referee
Best option for me would be to merge the SL and NRL (as separate conferences), put together groups of four and build the season around that.

Australasian Conference:
West Sydney Group: Wests Tigers, Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers, Canterbury Bulldogs.
East Sydney Group: Cronulla Sharks, Manly Sea Eagles, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters.
NSW Country Group: St George Illawarra Dragons, Canberra Raiders, Newcastle Knights, Central Coast Bears.
Queensland Group: Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Brothers, North Queensland Cowboys, Gold Coast Titans.
Pacific Group: Melbourne Storm, West Coast Pirates, Auckland Warriors, Wellington Orcas.

European Conference:
West: St Helens, Warrington Wolves, Widnes Vikings, Wigan Warriors.
Central: Salford Red Devils, Huddersfield Giants, Bradford Bulls, Leeds Rhinos.
East: Wakefield Wildcats, Castleford Tigers, Hull FC, Hull KR.
France: Catalan Dragons, Toulouse Olympique, Aude Cathare, Avignon Bisons.

Play everyone in your conference once (Aus: 19 games; Euro: 15 games)
Play everyone in your group a second time (3 games)
Play one team from every group in the other conference (Aus: 4 games; Euro: 5 games)
Play one team from every group a second time (Euro only: 3 games)

Each team playing 26 games in the season.
Straight knockout play-offs (top of each group plus highest points from the remainder).
Conference final followed by World Club Final.

In time, expand conferences by adding extra groups in new areas. Easier to add groups of four from new areas than new leagues. They may get sides at times, but they will only pay a few cross group games a season.

A World NRL. That's the future.

so it wouldnt be called nrl then. it would be called something like "world rugby league", and there should be a team in adelaide

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
so it wouldnt be called nrl then. it would be called something like "world rugby league", and there should be a team in adelaide

Well technically it isn't an NRL now anyway as NZ isn't in Australia.

And there should be an Adelaide team in, but they haven't submitted a bid so I didn't include them.

alien

Referee
Well technically it isn't an NRL now anyway as NZ isn't in Australia.

And there should be an Adelaide team in, but they haven't submitted a bid so I didn't include them.

well the nrl is australia's comp but we allow a nz team to be apart of it but a world rugby league would be run by australia and england

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
personally my idea is that the NRL should have around 20 teams each team playing each other once shorten the season to make way for more internationals.
The current clubs plus Central Queensland, Wellington, Perth, 2nd Brisbane team. I doubt we will ever see Pacific Island sides enter the NRL the only 2 who I believe will come close is Fiji or PNG but that is about 20 or 30 years away. Personally there should be a semi-pro Pacific Club Championship competition for Samoa, Tonga, Fiji to compete in something for the APRLC to consider..