What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- Tua v Barry

ozbash

Referee
anyone see kevin barry on holmes last night ?
kev was pissed off, apparently his name had been cleared by the courts in relation to the "throwin samoans" allegations of fraudulent management.

seems funny all this crap has started just after don king took control. :roll:

ozbash

Referee
David Tua's former mentor Kevin Barry has painted his co-manager, Martin Pugh, as a model of frugality in response to accusations that the pair cheated the Samoan boxer of $4 million.

Barry claimed on TVNZ's Holmes show last night that Pugh went to the length of sleeping on a mattress in a wardrobe next to the boxer's room.

He outlined a string of expenses incurred from the boxer's tilt at the world heavyweight boxing title, and described Tua as the extravagant one.

"You have trainers, you have manager, you have training camps – there are all the little things, there are all the incidentals that add up," Barry said.

"David's a big spender, like the buying of vehicles – he's spent over $800,000 on vehicles, you know, like hiring vehicles – there's $50,000 worth of hireage to run around in a Dodge Viper while he's in Las Vegas."

"David's very good at spending money."

He claimed that neither manager had access to cash that had been frozen in their accounts after Tua transferred money into his own name and tried to take $1.2 million from Tuaman Inc Ltd – a company in which Pugh is listed as owning all shares.

Barry admitted that the team had "nice training camps" but said the managers "did not live the great life".

"A lot of people have painted this picture of Martin Pugh and it has been very very poorly done and very unfair – Martin comes up and believe it or not lives on the floor of a cupboard off David Tua's bedroom – he sleeps on a mattress in a wardrobe."

He said a lot of people had to be held accountable for remarks made against Tua's former managers.

It was earlier revealed that Martin Pugh was accused of fraud, misappropriation and forgery in court documents that also claimed Tua was owed $4 million. It was reported that an investigation had found that there are no assets in Tua's name – other than a share of his parents' Mangere home.

A statement filed in the High Court and signed by Queen's Counsel Tony Molloy, a Tua lawyer, said Pugh and Barry had failed to prepare accounts for Tua's examination for four years.

"They have cheated him and their conduct has left them with unclean hands."

Pugh and Barry said in their own affidavits they had done nothing wrong; accounts prepared for Tua since the break-up with them as managers were wrong; and that when independent accountants appointed by the court filed their report, they would be vindicated.

JoeD

First Grade
Didn't see it but have been reading about it the paper. There has been a very one sided series of articles (in Tua's favour) running in the Herald. I'll be interested to what happens in court. Is there a date set?

ozbash

Referee
KB was talking defamation on holmes with regard to the herald.
according to barry, they had taken tua's side of the story and had given him crap.

this bloke pugh doesnt have a lot to say for himself either :oops:

Auckland4ever

Juniors
The Herald have been extremely one-sided, from what I've read. I dont know if any of it qualified as defamation, although I havent read everything.

The sooner Tua gets back into the ring the better. I doubt there'll be another fighter from the Sth Pacific with a realistic(albeit slim) chance of becoming Heavyweight Champion, probably not in my lifetime, anyway.

Umm, what does NFT mean?

nibbs

Bench
Pugh is really dodgy. That company in Vanavatu, the land at Pakiri being in the company, not Davids name etc. Its doesn't make sense. Pugh can't be trusted. He's a scumbag who I'd never do business with.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
ozbash said:
non footy topic - high tek eh ? for an old bloke :lol:

Is that all? I thought it might have something to do with telling people not to post defamatory comments about the people involved in the case, especially as it leaves forums like this one open to legal action, & hence facing the prospect of being shut down. Thank God noone would be careless enough to post defamatory comments... ;-)

Latest posts