What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nic Maddinson

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This is about a week old now, he didn't play in the game against the Vics last week for personal reasons.

Could be anything but I sure hope he is OK.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
The selectors shouldn't have picked him. They went to far in picking youth in his case.

Last edited:

2 weeks

Coach
Test cricket broke the poor kid

Really poor selection in the first place, he was never up to it

Maddo, Cartwright & Mennie all shit selections in the test team

Bazal

Post Whore
He's had a shocking few months of cricket after a fantastic hundred, regardless of anything else that has to take its toll on the poor kid. Might be for the best in the long run, go away and get everything right

Iafeta

Referee
Some of the selections over the past 2 years have been incredulous. He was picked at the wrong time. The correct time was either never or against the West Indies etc.

That said, he's a cracking bat with a sound defence and his bowling looked like he could rip apart a middle order at a moments notice if any notice was issued at all. And his game was coming together. That 22 was outstanding.

2 weeks

Coach
I never thought i'd see another innings as good as Quiney's 9 but Maddo's 22 was 2.4 (recurring) times as good

Iafeta

Referee
I'm not trolling him. I think the way the selectors have mucked blokes around is poor. I can't see the consistent strategy here. The guy got picked, and he failed. It seems from what I've read there's very little feedback, you just get discarded. When you are trying to make a career and you hit the pinnacle, you deserve the respect of feedback. It's what he's built his life towards. He failed - no doubt, but I'm actually surprised he is the first one we know about that has issues.

The 22 comment is a little tongue in cheek. But really it's a shot at the selectors. He had a couple of innings where he needed to try to get on with it. You won't always be successful doing that.

The social welfare of players is very important. Somewhere in all this mess that seems to be glossed over and forgotten.

Anyone who reaches this level has cricket talent. That can't be denied. They should be communicated with and have sound support systems.

It's not just Australian cricket either.

I hope he is back mentally fit to fight on soon.

Timbo

Staff member
He should have been picked in the ODI side and given a chance to find his feet in international cricket. He was very good in the Matador Cup. I was at NSO when he dismantled a pretty decent Victorian attack last year.

It's criminal how they treated him. And Ferguson. And Mennie. And (insert name here).

Iafeta

Referee
Ferguson had been making a ton of runs.

But rather than debate who or who didn't deserve selection, is there a better way to treat players who are dropped? From what I hear there's very little in the way of communication to these guys.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
In the bad old days when you were dropped you used to find out only when a journo rang you and said you're nixed. These days you'd hope they'd tell you, the reasons why and what to do to get back.

For all the perks of being a top level sportsman - $$$$, opportunities, chicks etc - the hard reality is that very few make it and so a bloody lot get spat out. One thing the nrl has improved at and still works on is assisting the young blokes who won't make it, hopefully cricket Australia is using some of their bbl bucks to put in similar processes.

Incorrect

Coach
Almost feels like the selectors got together after Hobart debacle and the convo went;

Hohns - "Who's that young bloke, plays for NSW, last name ends in 'son'.... Something Matterson, or Pattinson??"

Mark Waugh - "You mean Nic Maddinson?"

Hohns - "Yeah that must be him....order him a baggy green and give him a call, tell him he's playing in Adelaide"

Waugh - "Sounds good chief!"

All the while, Hiohns actually meant Kurtis Patterson

lockyno1

Post Whore
To be fair Patterson still has a lot of things to work on. Like a lot of Australian bats he's utterly woeful against spin.

T-Boon

Coach
But rather than debate who or who didn't deserve selection, is there a better way to treat players who are dropped? From what I hear there's very little in the way of communication to these guys.

They should get counselling and medication for PTSD.