What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The fact that there are other issues on the right side doesn’t men Nighty still isn’t a major weakness. For mine, it’s his attack (or lack thereof) that is suffering and suggests it’s time he pass the torch.

Speaking of Nightingale's alleged attacking impotency, did you notice the one time Saints had a major overlap, the opportunity fell by the wayside when Aitken failed to utilise quick hands, and decided to only pass at the very last moment with the defence converging?

Yes, Nightingale's diminishing speed is a factor - not that he was ever blessed with this gift - but the problem isn't ALL of his doing.

getsmarty

Immortal
Speaking of Nightingale's alleged attacking impotency, did you notice the one time Saints had a major overlap, the opportunity fell by the wayside when Aitken failed to utilise quick hands, and decided to only pass at the very last moment with the defence converging?

Yes, Nightingale's diminishing speed is a factor - not that he was ever blessed with this gift - but the problem isn't ALL of his doing.

Correct, but he did get bundled into touch again....Aitken rarely passes....The talk of him being an Origin player is premature...he is an excellent defender 1 on 1...I'd pick Roberts or Tom turbo over aitken everyday of the week...

BennyV

Referee

I agree that it’s not all his doing. But he contributes the least at this stage, so he’d be the first casualty* in fixing the problem.

*player casualty. Coach should be first.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Correct, but he did get bundled into touch again....Aitken rarely passes....The talk of him being an Origin player is premature...he is an excellent defender 1 on 1...I'd pick Roberts or Tom turbo over aitken everyday of the week...

It's pretty bloody difficult NOT to go into touch with two or three blokes on your back.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I agree that it’s not all his doing. But he contributes the least at this stage, so he’d be the first casualty* in fixing the problem.

*player casualty. Coach should be first.

Well, your last sentence SHOULD be a given.

However, it's a 'defensive' lineup of Hunt, Aitken and Nightingale standing alongside each other that also needs addressing.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Another one of these stupid arguemtns to keep him .. The numbers and structure on the right … Well .. if there is an overlap on the right edge whose job is it to recognise and call numbers across …

hint .. it is not hunt/frizell or Aitken.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Another one of these stupid arguemtns to keep him .. The numbers and structure on the right … Well .. if there is an overlap on the right edge whose job is it to recognise and call numbers across …

hint .. it is not hunt/frizell or Aitken.

Question: how do you know that the person concerned DOESN'T call numbers across in the event of overlaps?

The real issue is not only 'structure', it's also the fault of players being reactionary.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Agreed. As far as the team goes, the one offering the least is Nightingale, so he should be the first to go. Then assess the rest.
Yeah cos changing the right winger will make a huge impact. He hasn't caused a single loss this year you know.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I read about his 'diminishing' speed as if he used to be Chariots Offiah FFS, he has never been real quick so that ain't the problem here guys.

possm

Coach
Again nightingale comes in and again Penrith score there first try on the next tackle. All plays down nightingale side it took latimore to chase peachy down
I'd say that under instructions, Nightingale followed Aitken in and they both came away with nothing. It has happened so many times before.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Nightingale has not scored since round 1. A great player over the many years and mentor for younger players. However we have now lost to all top 4 teams and we need a quality outside back to assist our forwards bringing the ball back as Nene has done that successfully mostly this year.
Mate he has only got the ball in a try scoring position once this year, and he scored. Name another time this year when a wonderful right side move was executed only for Nightingale to be put in the clear to score. You can't. Stats lie.

BennyV

Referee
Mate he has only got the ball in a try scoring position once this year, and he scored. Name another time this year when a wonderful right side move was executed only for Nightingale to be put in the clear to score. You can't. Stats lie.
Lol such rubbish.

He’s been put in the clear multiple times from more than 20m out, including once on the weekend when Aitken passed to him in the first half, in a position where many quicker wingers score a try, and he’s been rounded up without issue.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Agreed. As far as the team goes, the one offering the least is Nightingale, so he should be the first to go. Then assess the rest.
I also agree. I really believe we need to get a winger who can;

1. Relieve our forwards in kick returns
2. Have pace in attack
3. Have pace in defence
4. Have size in tackling the best wingers and centres in opposition
5. Able to take high balls
6. And of course score tries regularly.
Any one out there fit that category?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I also agree. I really believe we need to get a winger who can;

1. Relieve our forwards in kick returns
2. Have pace in attack
3. Have pace in defence
4. Have size in tackling the best wingers and centres in opposition
5. Able to take high balls
6. And of course score tries regularly.
Any one out there fit that category?
How about Oates?

ouryears

Bench
What guy near the sideline? He wasn't there when peachy made the break for the first try.
Oh right, so if he stays out on the sideline while 3 players run at Aitken, that will stop a try?

So you don't realise it's up to our scrambling defence from Fritz, Hunt, Widdop and Sims who are meant to come across as well?

Ohhhh, and Dufty is meant to be there too.

And where was our lock in cover defence....no where to be seen, no scrambling defence whatsoever.

Let's blame the winger.

st shaneoh

Juniors
Oh right, so if he stays out on the sideline while 3 players run at Aitken, that will stop a try?

So you don't realise it's up to our scrambling defence from Fritz, Hunt, Widdop and Sims who are meant to come across as well?

Ohhhh, and Dufty is meant to be there too.

And where was our lock in cover defence....no where to be seen, no scrambling defence whatsoever.

Let's blame the winger.
This isn't the 1960s. The lock is a middle forward now not a cover defender. Dont try to make excuses for a player who is over the hill. He was a great player but his time is up

The Damo

Juniors
I'd say that under instructions, Nightingale followed Aitken in and they both came away with nothing. It has happened so many times before.
That’s not what happened. Aitken was in the tackle and stayed at marker. How Nighty and the others on the right left 15 metres of the field empty is a total mystery to me.

Latest posts