What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Old Timer

Coach
Given your logical, rational thinking also advocates dropping Aitken I’d suggest that’s not as convincing as you think it is. Maybe get in touch with your feelings - tons of evidence out there that emotional intelligence improves decision making.
In fairness the survey re centres at the beginning of the year had many people in the drop Aitken camp.
Many have bailed out of that the basis of a few tries and talk of SOO plus the fact we are winning so hindsight is a wonderful thing for them however there are those that still believe that bad defensive lapses and the inability to pass to the wingers are the core issues for them so they remain in the camp they originally selected as they still see the problem .
Winning changes a lot of things and also masks a lot of things but in amongst it are people who are dogged in their beliefs and until that aspect changes for them they are entitled to hold their position.
Not everyone can be a swinging voter.

ouryears

Bench
Your maths is as bad as you knowledge of the knock on rules.
We scored 4 they scored 3 i.e. 3/4's of what we did therefore we scored 25% more than them.
Your Maths is worse than your knowledge of the rules OT.

We scored 1 more try than their 4 which is 33.333% more buster.

It isn't 1 more try in 4.
It is 1 more try than their 3.

Take your self righteous attitude out of here.

PS. To help you, enter 4÷3 into Google search old fella.
= 1.3333%

I await your apology

I am going to have to put you on ignore soon, just like SBD already is.

You are just too painful.

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
In fairness the survey re centres at the beginning of the year had many people in the drop Aitken camp.
Many have bailed out of that the basis of a few tries and talk of SOO plus the fact we are winning so hindsight is a wonderful thing for them however there are those that still believe that bad defensive lapses and the inability to pass to the wingers are the core issues for them so they remain in the camp they originally selected as they still see the problem .
Winning changes a lot of things and also masks a lot of things but in amongst it are people who are dogged in their beliefs and until that aspect changes for them they are entitled to hold their position.
Fair enough - I was willing to give aitken the spot at the beginning of the year, and he’s been better than I hoped he would be. He’s got improving to do in his defence reads and passing no doubt. But I can also see he has improved both this year, presumably by identifying and working on them, and I expect to see that continue.

dragoninmexico

Juniors
Fu$k this ! Wingers do so much more than score tries and stop tries from being scored these days. He is still outside of Nene our number one Metre gainer each week(backs ) . His work in the middle of the field getting us out of trouble is still better then most other wingers. Ado Carr gets on the outside of most wingers in the NRL so to crucify him because of yesterday is just totally unfair.
Some people just need to whinge about something because we are winning each week. I'm pretty sure he ran 200 plus metres on Anzac day and 130 plus metres yesterday.
He is still in my team every week.

ouryears

Bench
Fu$k this ! Wingers do so much more than score tries and stop tries from being scored these days. He is still outside of Nene our number one Metre gainer each week(backs ) . His work in the middle of the field getting us out of trouble is still better then most other wingers. Ado Carr gets on the outside of most wingers in the NRL so to crucify him because of yesterday is just totally unfair.
Some people just need to whinge about something because we are winning each week. I'm pretty sure he ran 200 plus metres on Anzac day and 130 plus metres yesterday.
Hallelujah, I 100 per cent agree.
Nighty for PM one day too.

ouryears

Bench

If we listened to some people on here, we would need a NEW FULLBACK, 2 NEW CENTRES,
2 NEW WINGERS and a NEW HOOKER.

6 new players.

Oh....and Latimore too.

Dufty, Nighty, Nene, Lafai, Aitken, Latimore and McInness all have been told to go by many on this forum.

They still have a hangover from 2017. Nice supporters hey.
Who needs enemies?

TomRedVRiver

Bench

People are allowed to change their position on something when there is enough reason to be swayed.
Aitken epitomises that for us this season. We are winning precisely because guys like Aitken have lifted and are performing at a level that they hadn't prior to 2018. That's called progress.

"Talk of SOO" doesn't just happen, there's usually reason for it.

Old Timer

Coach
Your Maths is worse than your knowledge of the rules OT.

We scored 1 more try than their 4 which is 33.333% more buster.

It isn't 1 more try in 4.
It is 1 more try than their 3.

Take your self righteous attitude out of here.

PS. To help you, enter 4÷3 into Google search old fella.
= 1.3333%

I await your apology

I am going to have to put you on ignore soon, just like SBD already is.

You are just too painful.
They scored 1 try less than us.
We scored 4 tries and they scored 3 tries and in doing so scored 3/4 of the tries we did i.e. 75%
Therefore they are 25% short of doing what we did.
If they had of scored 2 tries they would have scored half as many as us i.e. 50%
If they had of scored 1 try they would have scored 25% of what we scored.
As we are leading the comp surely the correct comparison (if we are the benchmark) is what others do compared to us rather than what we do compared to them.
I am sure pretty that is how Bellyache and the other coaches will see it.

Old Timer

Coach
Fair enough - I was willing to give aitken the spot at the beginning of the year, and he’s been better than I hoped he would be. He’s got improving to do in his defence reads and passing no doubt. But I can also see he has improved both this year, presumably by identifying and working on them, and I expect to see that continue.
I am an unabashed Mann fan however voted for Aitken in the survey as I believed he deserved first chance to put his stamp on the position.
Year to date he hasn't done anything so bad for him to lose that position although there are some signs still apparent to me that need to be addressed and IMO only by playing 1st grade can that be done.
However, his improvement in other areas such as hole running and try scoring which I always believed he had in him are well received but for me they do not mask the areas he must address to confirm his status as a starting centre not just for now but for years to come.
I think he can make it and the club will benefit greatly from it but if he doesn't improve his passing and his defensive reads he will become "just a centre" which for me is not enough for him to hold down a full time spot.
Good thing is there are signs of improvement but I do understand why others hold their position re the things he is lacking in.

MilanDragon

Juniors
They scored 1 try less than us.
We scored 4 tries and they scored 3 tries and in doing so scored 3/4 of the tries we did i.e. 75%
Therefore they are 25% short of doing what we did.
If they had of scored 2 tries they would have scored half as many as us i.e. 50%
If they had of scored 1 try they would have scored 25% of what we scored.
As we are leading the comp surely the correct comparison (if we are the benchmark) is what others do compared to us rather than what we do compared to them.
I am sure pretty that is how Bellyache and the other coaches will see it.

Mate you’re dead set picking an argument for the sake of it.

Our output was 33% greater than theirs.

You’re 100% right they scored 75% if what we did, however that doesn’t mean we scored only 25% more than them.

So let’s say we have 25% more than them.. which is true, yiu then have to do 25/75 which comes back to us scoring 33% more than them.

They scored 25% less than us, however we had a 33% greater output than them.

Personally I think the correct output isn’t what others do in comparison to us, but rather how much better we do than anyone else. Therefore our output needs to be better than anyone else’s.

Otherwise if we sit at 100% and watch to see what others’ output is they will over time catch up to our 100%. By going 70-80-90 etc.
However if we see what others are doing and we wan to be x percent above that our goalposts are always shifting. So for example if our aim is to be 10% better than the second best side, they start at 80% we are 88%, they improve to 90% we are at 99% etc

slippery5

Juniors
I actually blame McGregor for the 3 tries against Nighty, instead of playing a compressed defence on the right side, we should have put more faith in our one on one defence & instructed Nighty to stay on the outside of ADC otherwise the result will be exactly what happened.
Lafai on left was brilliant staying on the outside of Chambers shutting with his one on one defence.
In saying that, if there is another option ie: Lomax, he needs to be blooded.

Bench
I for better or worse always have Aitken, Lafai and Nightingale in my side. Aitken is probably playing injury free at the moment. Lafai is a very good defender and on his day is a great attacking center. Nightingale, not as fast as most wingers but is very good under the bomb and does continually takes hit ups.
I would have these three players in first grade unless injured. He has won a premiership and brings a wealth of experience. I do hope he retires at the end of this season and goes out with another premiership.

RufusRex

Post Whore
You can bag Flo, but the fact is Aldo Carr has been doing that to wingers all year, and will continue to, he’s a speed machine.
Flo still ran for 112 metres yesterday, most of that the hard yards bringing the ball out of trouble, mistake free runs, he’s worth his weight in gold for that alone.

Which other winger has allowed Addo Carr 5 line breaks and 3 tries this season?

If you think 112 metres is a mark of success for a winger then you may as well play Leeson Ah Mau on the wing .. He would be faster and has better footwork.

The two top tasks for a winger in NRL are

1. Score tries
2. Stop opposition wingers scoring tries

Metres is a distant third

As it is Nighty is still way behind Nene in terms of metres this season and nene is doing it from less carries ... Plus he is actually scoring tries - most of which Nighty in similar positions would be incapable of scoring.

We are carrying him because of things he did in 2010 not because of what he is doing now.

Jason nightingale is the most error prone winger in the entire NRL, is contributing nothing to our for column and contributing plenty to our against.

It is a perfect time to blood a junior or at the very least put in a bloke who when compared head to head on the wing in 2016 proved he was better than nightingale in the same position.

Old Timer

Coach
Mate you’re dead set picking an argument for the sake of it.

Our output was 33% greater than theirs.

You’re 100% right they scored 75% if what we did, however that doesn’t mean we scored only 25% more than them.

So let’s say we have 25% more than them.. which is true, yiu then have to do 25/75 which comes back to us scoring 33% more than them.

They scored 25% less than us, however we had a 33% greater output than them.

Personally I think the correct output isn’t what others do in comparison to us, but rather how much better we do than anyone else. Therefore our output needs to be better than anyone else’s.

Otherwise if we sit at 100% and watch to see what others’ output is they will over time catch up to our 100%. By going 70-80-90 etc.
However if we see what others are doing and we wan to be x percent above that our goalposts are always shifting. So for example if our aim is to be 10% better than the second best side, they start at 80% we are 88%, they improve to 90% we are at 99% etc
If the comparison is about number of tries scored then the people that scored the least number of tries should be compared to the people that scored the most tries and not vice versa.
We scored 4 which for the want of a term is the 100% mark to be achieved by the opposition and seeing they scored 3 tries they achieved 75% of that mark.
On that basis my maths is perfectly correct.
Not sure why winners of a contest (in this case most tries scored) would want to compare themselves to the loser, as it is an old saying but a good saying "winners are grinners and the rest can please themselves".

dragon_around

Juniors
Nightingale, not as fast as most wingers but is very good under the bomb and does continually takes hit ups.

And that's a huge standout when against other wingers. The hit ups he is willing to take puts others to shame.

If you watched the last Broncos game, Boyd was afraid of the ball and threw it away every chance he got rather than take a hit.

giboz71

First Grade
Agree, need to stay grounded and continue to look at how we can improve.

But it was actually 4 tries to the dragons and 3 to the storm, therefore we had more tries.

Also you do need to factor in penalty goals as it means we are in attacking positions, therefore doing all the right stuff. I’d happily win games where we score less tries but win because of penalty goals. I have no issue with that - do you?

Absolutely.

We won emphatically, don’t let 4-3 tries prove otherwise. The 4 penalty goals meant that we sustained pressure and they needed to give away penalties to stop us.

Warriors did the same thing to us but this time we took the points on offer.

If we had decided to take more taps, who knows how many more tries we would have scored.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Which other winger has allowed Addo Carr 5 line breaks and 3 tries this season?

If you think 112 metres is a mark of success for a winger then you may as well play Leeson Ah Mau on the wing .. He would be faster and has better footwork.

The two top tasks for a winger in NRL are

1. Score tries
2. Stop opposition wingers scoring tries

Metres is a distant third

As it is Nighty is still way behind Nene in terms of metres this season and nene is doing it from less carries ... Plus he is actually scoring tries - most of which Nighty in similar positions would be incapable of scoring.

We are carrying him because of things he did in 2010 not because of what he is doing now.

Jason nightingale is the most error prone winger in the entire NRL, is contributing nothing to our for column and contributing plenty to our against.

It is a perfect time to blood a junior or at the very least put in a bloke who when compared head to head on the wing in 2016 proved he was better than nightingale in the same position.
is that stat correct - the most error prone winger in the league? I dont believe it.