What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nintendo NX - Next Gen Harware Concept

Walt Flanigan

Referee
NX IS NINTENDO'S NEW NEXT-GENERATION HARDWARE CONCEPT

BY JENNA PITCHER

NINTENDO / 17 MAR 2015

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata today mentioned the company is creating a new next-generation hardware concept called NX during a media event today.

Iwata revealed sparse details of the new "dedicated game system" during a joint announcement of its partnership with Japanese mobile gaming company DeNA. The partnership will result in the development of smartphone games starring Nintendo characters along with a new multi-platform platform software service.

"Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service," Iwata said via official translation. He also said that NX is not directly related to the service platform.

"As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX,'" he said. "It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year."

That's... quite a lot to process. The notion of a "new concept" could simply be marketing speak, or it could be the company showing it's unfazed by the Wii U's problems and it will continue to innovate. But what of the Wii U? Does this mean The Legend of Zelda may not be the savior of the console but instead its swansong? This is made less likely by the membership mentioned today spanning Wii U and NX, though it's not impossible.

Years ago, Nintendo referred to the DS as the "third pillar" of its entertainment business, bridging the gap between consoles and handhelds. What if this is a new vision, in which the Wii U and 3DS are for the more committed gamers, with the NX being a new phone-like creation? Nintendo has said it's scared of losing 3DS sales if it made titles available on mobile platforms and the codename, "NX" could easily imply "Nintendo crossover". There's also the ongoing chatter about the health-based quality-of-life hardware the company has been mentioning.

Of course, the biggest hint we have to go on is the phrase "dedicated game system". This certainly seems to imply a new home console, and the pairing of the announcements should certainly stop headlines predicting the company is leaving the living room behind.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/nx-is-nintendos-new-next-generation-hardware-system

afinalsin666

First Grade
Which in turn can't compete with a low end PC.

Hopefully whatever it is it has actual controls this time, hate waddling and swiping and such. Give me a gamepad dammit.

perverse

Referee
Which in turn can't compete with a low end PC.

Hopefully whatever it is it has actual controls this time, hate waddling and swiping and such. Give me a gamepad dammit.

The Wii U has a fantastic gamepad.

41jK%2BTGzztL.jpg

Works with just about every title worth playing.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The button layout looks a bit like the new Steam controller that's coming out later in the year. Except the right stick is a touch pad.

perverse

Referee
Give me Wind Waker HD over anything the PS4 has to offer.

I actually quite like the massive ass game pad the console comes with, those controls are a good alternative for anyone who doesn't like it though.

Me too, dude... I have no qualms using the gamepad... it's quite comfy and the extra dimension the second screen often gives gameplay is sweet. The Wii U suffers brand issues and lack of 3rd party support, but I really like mine.

Dogs Of War

Coach
This could be great for Nintendo to release a new console that is possibly higher powered than what's out there currently. Especially if they can line up the right first party titles and get 3rd parties back on board.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Seems more like an acknowledgement that they have a fledgling hardware business, and trying to shift the scope to a more software driven business model.

The Wii U has been a monumental failure, and the handheld market faces some huge competition as phones get better and better. It's a smart strategy to use their IP on mobile, but has plenty of risks in diluting their existing markets.

As for the new console, Microsoft and Sony alike would already be developing the successors to XBO and PS4 respectively as well. It isn't exactly 'news' to say some new hardware is in R&D, seems like this announcement is there simply to say they aren't abandoning this section of their business.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Nintendo needs to go for power.

I do love the WiiU gamepad and find it very useful. Especially for multiplay, equipment and maps.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
You'll never get the same feel and accuracy on a touch screen.

On a different note it still baffles me that the Dreamcast failed. I loved that thing.

Storm13

Juniors
Nintendo merge both their console and handheld divisions into the same building not to long ago and also add with Iwata has been speaking about for the past couple of years having both systems in the future working on the same OS so games will be easy to port over from one device to the other. So maybe this NX will be the first step in that direction.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The Nintendo NX Will Be Out March 2017 Worldwide

Brian Ashcraft

Today 3:13amFiled to: NX

The Nintendo NX Will Be Out March 2017 Worldwide
Nintendo just announced that the Nintendo NX will be out in March 2017. That release window is global.

Via a financial release, Nintendo states, “For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed ‘NX’ with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.”

In a tweet, the company pointed out that “NX” is still only the console’s codename.

Oddly, Nintendo apparently will not be showing the still unrevealed NX platform at this year’s E3, according to Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki, who was at today’s Nintendo financial briefing in Osaka.

The new Zelda game, originally announced for 2015, is now also scheduled for 2017. The title is slated for both the Wii U and the NX.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-c...ook&utm_medium=Sociawww.leagueunlimited.comow

McLovin

Staff member
I was never really a "Nintendo" person tbh. Always stayed true to Sega... Master System, Megadrive, hell even Dreamcast. Then when they died off, moved onto Sony...

Will this new system be on par with say a PS4, Xbone in terms of specs, graphics, etc? Or are we talking next next gen.. probably too early to tell..

Wato

Juniors
Way to early to tell but surely it has to be if it's not than it will be dead on arrival. The fact their not showing it at e3 seems crazy and has me a little worried but to be honest the wii and wii u have burnt me badly so I can't envisage picking it up and unless they mend their relationship with third party developers I can see I a lot of people feeling the same.

Big Pete

Referee
I was never really a "Nintendo" person tbh. Always stayed true to Sega... Master System, Megadrive, hell even Dreamcast. Then when they died off, moved onto Sony...

Will this new system be on par with say a PS4, Xbone in terms of specs, graphics, etc? Or are we talking next next gen.. probably too early to tell..

No official word but that seems to be the general impression.

Even so, the GameCube was one of the most powerful systems of it's time and yet Nintendo lost substantial market share that generation. It's going to take a series of good decisions in order for Nintendo to regain the confidence of consumers.

At this stage, they've already made some iffy choices. An Easter launch-window is already suspect in of itself, as is the decision to launch the system with a Wii U Port. On the plus side, it's one of their flagship titles so it should capture substantial interest, especially from those who were turned off by the Wii U. On the other, it illustrates Nintendo's laziness and how they constantly recycle the same games over and over again. Especially if rumours such as a plan Smash 4 and Splatoon port turn out to be true.

In fairness, this is all just surface level observations. I don't study the video game market enough to know what factors truly influence demand. However, as a potential consumer I'm concerned that spending my hard earned on Nintendo is going to lock me in for their first party games and nothing more. Nintendo will have to gain more third-party support and improve it's online functionality if it wants my business on launch.

Latest posts