What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nintendo NX - Next Gen Harware Concept

Parra Pride

Coach
They'd be silly to show it off if it wasn't the remastered version, running a five year old game wouldn't be as impressive even considering it was a portable version.

Pommy

Coach
Bethesda have said they haven't confirmed any games for the switch yet. The same with the company who makes the NBA game they showed.
If my memory serves me Nintendo pulled this same stuff with the Wii U and there was a string of 3rd party games that never actually made it to release.
It looks interesting but if it's only as powerful as a PS4/XB1 I'm not sure how they can compete with those huge instal bases.
I do hope it takes off though I always had Nintendo consoles snes/64/game cube/wii. Wii u was the first I missed.

Storm13

Juniors
NBA2K was a launch title for the wiiu. Most of the third party games were just missing key features which didn't make it an attractive offer.

Can't wait to play Zelda 24/7 next year.

Parra Pride

Coach
Bethesda have said they haven't confirmed any games for the switch yet. The same with the company who makes the NBA game they showed.
If my memory serves me Nintendo pulled this same stuff with the Wii U and there was a string of 3rd party games that never actually made it to release.
It looks interesting but if it's only as powerful as a PS4/XB1 I'm not sure how they can compete with those huge instal bases.
I do hope it takes off though I always had Nintendo consoles snes/64/game cube/wii. Wii u was the first I missed.

Bethesda said they were happy to collaborate on the trailer, but can't confirm anything at this time. If they collaborated to show it in the trailer it's fair to assume it's coming.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Nintendo have said though, that this primarily a home gaming system, I don't think it's supposed to be a 3DS replacement.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Nintendo have said though, that this primarily a home gaming system, I don't think it's supposed to be a 3DS replacement.
Which makes it a hard sell. Ignoring controller ergonomics, if it isn't a viable portable gaming system, then how are they going to justify performance of the xbox one when Sony and Microsoft are providing significant upgrades as soon as 20 days from now.

It's a cool concept, but they needed to provide battery life that will make it a compelling system away from the TV. Otherwise it's similar to the Wii U with a jigsaw puzzle controller. Hopefully it has more battery life than what is being rumoured or it will be relegated to the usual nintendo fan boys early uptake and ghost town further down the line. They need the key differentiator between its competitors to be compelling if it can't compete on processing power.

Who is going to buy it over Sony or Microsoft offerings, if sitting on a couch and playing it on the TV is your primary option? They have better controllers for that situation and more powerful consoles, with proven online services and massive game libraries.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I will buy it. Mainly cause of the ip's they own are ones I like to play

plus there every 2nd consoles seem to be good combined with the handheld stuff which adds to the concept.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Bethesda said they were happy to collaborate on the trailer, but can't confirm anything at this time. If they collaborated to show it in the trailer it's fair to assume it's coming.

See I don't see it like that. If this was PS or XBox Bethesda would have confirmed the release.
If the game is in the trailer and they still can't confirm it's release to me that says they're waiting to see if it looks like it worth their time and money bothering.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
See I don't see it like that. If this was PS or XBox Bethesda would have confirmed the release.
If the game is in the trailer and they still can't confirm it's release to me that says they're waiting to see if it looks like it worth their time and money bothering.
Nintendo have also come out and said that footage is not representative of the games / graphics that will be on the console.

EA have also said they have no intention of bringing Mass Effect to the console.

It'll be interesting to see what 3rd party support there is. A lot of publishers have come out in support of the console, but won't commit on what games will make the cut. It appears it is very much a wait and see approach.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah they’re obviously marketing this a lot better than they did the Wii U and they’ll have no problem roping in the Nintendo faithful, but they’ll need some good 3rd party titles at launch to attract new customers.

They should really package the console with a Splatoon sequel too. That would take off.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yeah they’re obviously marketing this a lot better than they did the Wii U and they’ll have no problem roping in the Nintendo faithful, but they’ll need some good 3rd party titles at launch to attract new customers.

They should really package the console with a Splatoon sequel too. That would take off.

The thing is, that many parents would see this as a way to give the kid a handheld device and a full system.

Now for hardcore gamers, well that's not really nintendo's market anyway. Those people are only ever going to buy MS or Sony. It's then trying to get casuals in like the original Wii did, and 3rd parties need to be able to develop stuff for it, but I think they do get a lot on the 3DS, who may be able to make that jump to a switch type device.

Some of the concepts like local multiplayer with multiple switches around is amazing. Sharing a screen not as much fun.

perverse

Referee
The thing is, that many parents would see this as a way to give the kid a handheld device and a full system.

Now for hardcore gamers, well that's not really nintendo's market anyway. Those people are only ever going to buy MS or Sony. It's then trying to get casuals in like the original Wii did, and 3rd parties need to be able to develop stuff for it, but I think they do get a lot on the 3DS, who may be able to make that jump to a switch type device.

Some of the concepts like local multiplayer with multiple switches around is amazing. Sharing a screen not as much fun.
Actually, I think you'll find many hardcore gamers like to go with the PC/Nintendo combination, you get the best access to the full range of games available. Consoles are a bit of a joke to just about every hardcore gamer I know, actually... and I've been in and out of the competitive gaming scene for 15 years.

While I agree with Firey that battery life will make or break the system, to an extent, I think it's prudent to remember that you only get 4-5 hours out of a 3DS, and it's running on damn near 10 year old hardware. The 3DS, while slow with uptake, has been a big success for Nintendo. I think it'll be surprising what the market will accept if the content is good. Under 3 hours is a deal breaker and will hurt the system... 3-5 hours is the grey area, over 5 hours and battery life will be be a total non-issue.

I think it will land in the grey area... so it's anyones guess there. As usual with Nintendo, it's hard to gauge. Local multiplayer and a truly portable console could be a massive game changer, though. I think Nintendo is hedging their bets by calling it a home console so that if the battery life is insufficient, they can wave it off. If it's successful, you can definitely say goodbye to the 3DS long term. If it's unsuccessful, then the 3DS still has legs in it yet.

How the device charges is something that could mitigate poor battery life somewhat, too. If they go with an industry standard like USB-C, and you can charge it anywhere you could charge a phone... then you might be in business regardless of battery life.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm sure you'll be able to strap a power bank to it too.

It wouldn’t effect me personally. I can’t think of a time that I’ve played my 3DS for 3 hours straight.

Parra Pride

Coach
I'm sure you'll be able to strap a power bank to it too.

It wouldn’t effect me personally. I can’t think of a time that I’ve played my 3DS for 3 hours straight.

I'll easily smash a good chunk of time out on new Pokemon games when they're released. Never too far from a charge cable though.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Actually, I think you'll find many hardcore gamers like to go with the PC/Nintendo combination, you get the best access to the full range of games available. Consoles are a bit of a joke to just about every hardcore gamer I know, actually... and I've been in and out of the competitive gaming scene for 15 years.
I have to disagree with that completely. Xbox has zero exclusives these days, but Sony pumps out a massive amount of exclusives, short of having Zelda, Pokemon and Smash Bros, Nintendo doesn't really have much that you would deem as 'hardcore'. Nintendo fans are a different beast, there would be a lot more multi platform gamers using PS4 or Xbox One over Nintendo fans IMO. There are only 13 million Wii U consoles sold to date anyway, many of those would fall into the younger demographics. The Wii was the ultimate casual console. Both the Wii U and Wii also had lower attach rates than their competitors, which isn't indicative of overly dedicated user bases.

People who pump the most hours into games are the ones with online services. What exactly is 'hardcore' anyway? Your platform of choice and anecdotal evidence? Consoles generally have higher player counts and I don't think a player who sinks 1000+ hours into a game on any platform is more or less hardcore than anyone else on another platform. I don't know how the PC master race arguments still exist or persist, some people prefer to sit at a desk and play, others prefer to sit on a couch. I have a PC running a GTX 1070 and I still prefer to play on my PS4.

While I agree with Firey that battery life will make or break the system, to an extent, I think it's prudent to remember that you only get 4-5 hours out of a 3DS, and it's running on damn near 10 year old hardware. The 3DS, while slow with uptake, has been a big success for Nintendo. I think it'll be surprising what the market will accept if the content is good. Under 3 hours is a deal breaker and will hurt the system... 3-5 hours is the grey area, over 5 hours and battery life will be be a total non-issue.

I think it will land in the grey area... so it's anyones guess there. As usual with Nintendo, it's hard to gauge. Local multiplayer and a truly portable console could be a massive game changer, though. I think Nintendo is hedging their bets by calling it a home console so that if the battery life is insufficient, they can wave it off. If it's successful, you can definitely say goodbye to the 3DS long term. If it's unsuccessful, then the 3DS still has legs in it yet.

How the device charges is something that could mitigate poor battery life somewhat, too. If they go with an industry standard like USB-C, and you can charge it anywhere you could charge a phone... then you might be in business regardless of battery life.
I think the real issue is that it is a large portable device, the 3DS / 2DS appeal is you can throw it in your pocket and play it anywhere. The switch doesn't have that appeal and for that size, one would expect at least 4-5 hours of play time, otherwise what is the appeal over your phone? Nintendo exclusives only take you so far in this regard and there would be little motivation for someone to take it beyond their front door and if that is the case, why would one choose to play games at home on a device that has poor ergonomics, less power and in all probability, rudimentary online services?

As game streaming improves over the next few years, who is to say microsoft, sony or steam don't have a controller that clicks around your mobile phone to give the same functionality within your home? It's even within the realm of possibility that one of them could launch something like that before March. Sony already has remote play for PC, Mac, iOS (unofficially) and Android, the peripheral situation is just a pain in the ass.

They need to make it compelling to leave the house with, if they can't sell people on that, then people aren't going to buy it over their competitors unless they are fans of Nintendo's brand of games.