What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"No Guarantee" on SuperLeague Expansion: RFL

Nothern

Juniors
Nigel Wood, Chief exec of RFL, is quoted on BBC website as stating that expansion of Super League is not guaranteed. He states consideration will only be given if enough viable alternative proposals are made. Hope this is more of a kick up the backside to those wanting to apply than a bit of backtracking. Anyone know any more?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
It's the NRL expansion clause circa 2004.

When Gold Coast weren't clearly number 1, they weren't going to give one out.

Once GC made it clear they were number 1, then they awarded it away.

SL is making sure they will keep expansion on hold until Celtic and Toulouse are stronger than every other bid.

winnyason

Juniors
to me this say's wood was not overly impressed by his meeting with toulouse team in leeds, not looking good maybe widnes & salford in.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
It's the NRL expansion clause circa 2004.

When Gold Coast weren't clearly number 1, they weren't going to give one out.

Once GC made it clear they were number 1, then they awarded it away.

SL is making sure they will keep expansion on hold until Celtic and Toulouse are stronger than every other bid.

It appears that way, but makes sense too.

nadera78

Juniors
I think it's to do with some of the Englsih clubs who seem to be assuming that because they are already in ESL then they are guaranteed a licence. Only last week the RFL's legal eagle was talking about the system for awarding places and he was very keen to emphasise the importance being placed on having a stadium and facilities in place, not on a drawing board in someone's office.

It's part of a campaign to alert a few clubs to the fact that they aren't taking this seriously. For me, clubs like St's and Bradford are going to get in this time around, but they will be told in no uncertain terms that they need new stadia by 2012, or else it's goodbye.

In-goal

Bench
I think the above post is the most likley, Bradford and St's must improve their facilities in the very near future other wise the RFL must move forward without them.

nadera78

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
That would be a VERY brave step to take. I'm not saying it's the wrong step just a very brave one.

True, but (in my opinion) it is necessary. Odsal is a slum, I have no idea how the home fans put up with it on a regular basis. And Knowsley Rd is just as bad. They should be condemned.

screeny

Bench
Didn't Odsal get a major revamp, especially of the corporate facilities fairly recently? I've never been and although I understand it's basically the same stadium, I was under the improession that the facilities had at least been modernised.

nadera78

Juniors
They put new seats in the main stand, and built corporate suites behind one goal. The other two sides (and two corners) are basically just a long piece of concrete, with no roof. They are cumbling concrete steps built decades ago. There are new toilets and a bar though.

What makes it worse is that it has it's own micro-climate where, no matter the weather in the rest of Bradford, Odsal is always cold and wet. And sometimes misty. And that's in the summer!

Latest posts