What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Point Moaning When It Happens !

mickdo

Coach
I think the AFL have the rule that there has to be at least one game at the MCG each week of the finals. Perhaps a similar thing could work for the NRL. In the first week of the finals we keep it so that all higher ranked teams get to play at home. For the second week the highest ranked team in the first game would have first call at getting to play at their home venue, and if they don't want it then the higher ranked team in the other game would have the option. But none of the lower ranked teams in a game should be given the option. :?:

Razor

Coach
The schedule needs planning, and even if a 2nd week game was listed at Lang Park ( Suncorp ) , there is every chance with the way the standings and draw pans out, that the Broncos might be playing in Sydney, while 2 Sydney teams have to head up to Brisbane.

In the semi-final several years ago when there was a prelim-final in Brisbane, the Roosters-Broncos game was to be in Sydney due to the way it worked out, and 2 Sydney teams were to face off in Brisbane.

The NRL changed it during the week so the Brisbane-Roosters game was in Brisbane. Of course it caused outrage, understandibly. It's fine playing games in Brisbane, as long as you don't alter the rules after the event to give a side an unfair advantage.

Sportsjock

Juniors
And Razor thats exactly why its fine for PigSkin to come here talking up a Brisbane semi final , but not in exchange for assurance that the Broncos play there!

If fate turns out that way, so be it , but why should the Broncos be given a nice home game when they don't deserve one?

For some teams, the entire semi final series is an away game ( melb, canberra, newcastle ) , so I am unsure why Brisbane deserves a 2nd round game just for the Broncos :lol:

I think the bottom line is Sydney has proven itself to show major support for WHOEVER plays, while there is no confidence at all that a Brisbane semi final between Newcastle and the Roosters etc will draw any decent crowd in Brisbane if a game is given to them.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I can remember the Roosters, who finished 4th, played 4 away games, while the teams that finished 5th and 6th got home games.

I say leave it. It's anold chestnut of an argument, which is not fixed by having a 'home' game. Brisbane garnish plenty of support in Sydney, and often win. Them, Melbourne and Newcastle have all beaten Sydney based sides in grand finals under that that rule.

Surandy

Bench
As far as I can recall the games for weeks 2 and 3 of the finals are currently played in Sydney due to contractual commitments with the grounds. I think the contracts end in 2005 so in 2006 we may see home finals in weeks 2 and 3.

Pigskin

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
And Razor thats exactly why its fine for PigSkin to come here talking up a Brisbane semi final , but not in exchange for assurance that the Broncos play there!

If fate turns out that way, so be it , but why should the Broncos be given a nice home game when they don't deserve one?

For some teams, the entire semi final series is an away game ( melb, canberra, newcastle ) , so I am unsure why Brisbane deserves a 2nd round game just for the Broncos :lol:

I think the bottom line is Sydney has proven itself to show major support for WHOEVER plays, while there is no confidence at all that a Brisbane semi final between Newcastle and the Roosters etc will draw any decent crowd in Brisbane if a game is given to them.

I think your missing the point

I don't want guaranteed finals in Brisbane or anywhere else.

I just want every team to host finals if and when they deserve it .... therefore no scheduling until the teams are decided that will play in it

then the higher ranked team chooses the venue

Oink !

Parra_Boy

Juniors
I think that's fair enough, if Brisbane are in the Grand Final and play somebody on a lower place on the ladder then them I think that they should have the Grand Final in Brisbane, same goes for Melbourne and New Zealand.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Parra_Boy said:
I think that's fair enough, if Brisbane are in the Grand Final and play somebody on a lower place on the ladder then them I think that they should have the Grand Final in Brisbane, same goes for Melbourne and New Zealand.

When Manchester United played Liverpool in the FA Cup Final, it was hosted in London (and now Cardiff) even though both clubs are from The North. It's all part of the tradition.

It's bad enough now that Channel Nein has dictated that we have a night Grand Final, but to move it away from Sydney would be the final straw...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
Unless you are trying to say that Brisbane should get a semi final in week two, and the Brtoncos should AUTOMATICALLY be allowed to play at home if still playing in the semi finals?!?!??!?!?!?! EVEN IF THE DRAW AND THEIR POSITION SAYS THEY ARE TO PLAY THAT WEEKEND AT THE SYDNEY VENUE?!?!??!

Then it seems unfair doesn't it?

About as unfair as a non-Sydney based team earning the right to a home semi and then having to travel to Sydney to play it just so the sponsorship/corporate boxes can be sold months ahead ;-) .

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think that we should do it as in the US with the Superbowl, cities bid on hosting the event by way of showing what sort of entertainment, promotion etc of the event they will do, then the league descides who gets it, the 1997 superleague final went fine in Brisbane, and I can't see why they couldn't host the event. And imagine if Melbourne put in a bid to host the event, with promotion of the game all throughout Victoria, I'd like to see that!

xwizit

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
I think that we should do it as in the US with the Superbowl, cities bid on hosting the event by way of showing what sort of entertainment, promotion etc of the event they will do, then the league descides who gets it, the 1997 superleague final went fine in Brisbane, and I can't see why they couldn't host the event. And imagine if Melbourne put in a bid to host the event, with promotion of the game all throughout Victoria, I'd like to see that!

that would work great imo

Latest posts