What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No team dies on my watch

smithie

Juniors
DAVID Gallop has vowed to use the game's anticipated $1 billion-plus TV deal to ensure the survival of Sydney's financially stressed clubs before opening the door to any new interstate teams in an expanded NRL.

In a wide-ranging interview to mark his 10-year anniversary today as NRL boss, Gallop insists the game can't abandon its traditional market and old clubs such as the North Sydney Bears - or the proud and passionate fans who were lost to the game when they folded.

"Our saturation of Sydney is a really important part of the game's success,'' Gallop said, ``When the Bears went out of the competition we lost support on the north shore.

"If we lose a team in any area of Sydney, it's difficult to expect them to just migrate to another team.

"We don't want to lose any fans, particularly with our competitors being active in our heartland. I think all Sydney clubs will survive and it's important they do.''

Sydney clubs including Cronulla, Penrith and even premiers Manly are all struggling for funds.

The Sharks are still without a major sponsor and can't even afford to put on a chief executive.

Poker machine taxes, smoking bans and the tough economy have placed massive strain on Sydney clubs who have for decades relied on Leagues Club grants just to survive.

"It's an increasingly competitive market and their traditional funding models through leagues clubs are under pressure,'' Gallop said.

"A good broadcasting deal which will alleviate a lot of pressure on them and others .

"My view has been for a while that we wait until 2015 and allow our existing 16 clubs and players to share in the benefits of the next TV deal for at least a couple of years.''

And in a defiant message to Parramatta, the Roosters, the Bulldogs and his biggest critic Phil Gould who all privately campaigned last year for a new CEO, Gallop insists he is still the best man for the job.

"The NFL is the biggest sport in the world in terms of a domestic footy competition and they've only had a handful of commissioners since World War II,'' he said.

"Like most things nothing beats experience in dealing with challenges.

"I've signed a new contract and like everyone else I'm looking forward to working in our new environment.

"My experience as the CEO with 10 years' experience is an important part of the new structure.

"We have eight new people with great credentials but for the most part they're on a steep learning curve about rugby league.''

Gallop recently signed a four year contract to work under the game's new independent commission.

The deal was negotiated by the new chairman, Brisbane based businessman John Grant.

"I'm very proud to have clocked up such a significant milestone in this kind of job,'' Gallop said.

"The spectacle on the field and the closeness of the competition are the highlight of what we've achieved.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/no-team-dies-on-my-watch/story-e6frexnr-1226262448246

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can polish a turd as much as you like .......

It is very unlikely to be before 2015 anyway now given how long Gallop and his cronies have taken to hand the game over. What he never mentions is the money the game losses for those two years of only having 8 games to show instead of 9. Conveniant that he forgets to mention that and no one has yet asked him the question!

docbrown

Coach
Is it really 100% Gallop's fault that the Independent Commission has dragged out the way it has?

I don't think so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Three questions he never answers (or isn;t asked) when he comes out with the 2015 line:

1. How does having two seasons with only 8 games instead of 9 to sell bring more money in?
2. How does having 16 teams instead of 18 for 2 years give more money to those 16 clubs and how much?
3. If the game gets a billion $'s plus wont there be enough money available to both give the existing 16 clubs substantially bigger grants AND bring in two new teams?

I would love to know the answers to these questions, it might make it easier for us poor saps that are sat in the hope of one day having a team to follow make the comments about having to wait another 3 years so failing clubs can get a prop up easier to swallow!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Three questions he never answers (or isn;t asked) when he comes out with the 2015 line:

1. How does having two seasons with only 8 games instead of 9 to sell bring more money in?
2. How does having 16 teams instead of 18 for 2 years give more money to those 16 clubs and how much?
3. If the game gets a billion $'s plus wont there be enough money available to both give the existing 16 clubs substantially bigger grants AND bring in two new teams?

I would love to know the answers to these questions, it might make it easier for us poor saps that are sat in the hope of one day having a team to follow make the comments about having to wait another 3 years so failing clubs can get a prop up easier to swallow!

You have a club to follow and they lost last night, stop whinging about everyone else's bloody teams, without them, there'd be no hope of a WA team.

Beowulf

Juniors
Great to see him come out publicly re the Bears. It's only good news from here.

Stand aside, here come the mighty Bears!

Beowulf

Juniors
Gallop insists the game can't abandon its traditional market and old clubs such as the North Sydney Bears - or the proud and passionate fans who were lost to the game when they folded.
"Our saturation of Sydney is a really important part of the game's success,'' Gallop said, ``When the Bears went out of the competition we lost support on the north shore.
"If we lose a team in any area of Sydney, it's difficult to expect them to just migrate to another team.
"We don't want to lose any fans, particularly with our competitors being active in our heartland....''

Well if that isn't the clearest indication that the Bears are coming in I don't know what is. We're not going to be abandoned - the only way to avoid that is a license. There's no way he can retract those statements - he would have chosen them deliberately, knowing how sensitive Bears fans are abt their plight....they can't be that cruel, not after everything that's happened over 15 years!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if there is any evidence anyone can point to re the 40k RL fans that abandoned the game when the Bears where booted? Since then crowds are higher and TV audiences are higher, what counter evidence is there that backs up this ascertion? Not saying that many Bears fans didn't turn off from the game but I do wonder how this figure has been come to and what research has been done that backs up this claim?

Being generous, Norths had about 12k fans who went to games regularly.

I wonder if there is any evidence anyone can point to re the 40k RL fans that abandoned the game when the Bears where booted? Since then crowds are higher and TV audiences are higher, what counter evidence is there that backs up this ascertion? Not saying that many Bears fans didn't turn off from the game but I do wonder how this figure has been come to and what research has been done that backs up this claim?

Being generous, Norths had about 12k fans who went to games regularly.

That's plain silly. All teams have more fans then what their attendances show. Do you believe that the Roosters only have 14k fans? Or that the Dragons only have 23k fans? Obviously not.

You also forget the most important aspect of that number. The North Sydney Bears were around since day dot and if anything 40k fans at the time of their culling is if anything the absolute bare minimum. It's a huge region of Sydney and now also the Central Coast, not discounting nationally spread out fans.

I think 40k is well below the actual number.

elbusto

Coach
Gallop insists the game can't abandon its traditional market and old clubs such as the North Sydney Bears - or the proud and passionate fans who were lost to the game when they folded.
"We don't want to lose any fans, particularly with our competitors being active in our heartland....''

Well if that isn't the clearest indication that the Bears are coming in I don't know what is. We're not going to be abandoned - the only way to avoid that is a license. There's no way he can retract those statements - he would have chosen them deliberately, knowing how sensitive Bears fans are abt their plight....they can't be that cruel, not after everything that's happened over 15 years!
I think you are reading too much into that mate.

I think a Perth Team and another in QLD are easily the most logical outcomes of expansion. I would put Perth first tbh.

As for Central Coast Bears - long way off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's plain silly. All teams have more fans then what their attendances show. Do you believe that the Roosters only have 14k fans? Or that the Dragons only have 23k fans? Obviously not.

You also forget the most important aspect of that number. The North Sydney Bears were around since day dot and if anything 40k fans at the time of their culling is if anything the absolute bare minimum. It's a huge region of Sydney and now also the Central Coast, not discounting nationally spread out fans.

I think 40k is well below the actual number.

True but I would suggest the 12k fans who attend games are the die hards and the ones most likely to no longer follow the NRL, the majority of the rest were the stay at homes who might have bought the odd tshirt and watched on TV, these fans are far less likely to have abandoned the game all together and probably continue to watch the game on TV and occasionally go along to a game. As I said viewing figures at the ground and on TV are up since the Bears demise so I am not sure where these 40K have been lost?

Not that it really matters, I could say the same about Perth, we had probably 40k plus when you combined Reds crowds and WA Tv audiences back in the 90's, in fact I could argue with the massive influx of NRL fans from the East the game is actually losing a heck of a lot more fans yearly by not having representation in WA for those fans to follow and remain engaged with the game.

elbusto

Coach
True but I would suggest the 12k fans who attend games are the die hards and the ones most likely to no longer follow the NRL, the majority of the rest were the stay at homes who might have bought the odd tshirt and watched on TV, these fans are far less likely to have abandoned the game all together and probably continue to watch the game on TV and occasionally go along to a game. As I said viewing figures at the ground and on TV are up since the Bears demise so I am not sure where these 40K have been lost?

Not that it really matters, I could say the same about Perth, we had probably 40k plus when you combined Reds crowds and WA Tv audiences back in the 90's, in fact I could argue with the massive influx of NRL fans from the East the game is actually losing a heck of a lot more fans yearly by not having representation in WA for those fans to follow and remain engaged with the game.
I visited Perth for work two months ago. It is blatantly obvious to anybody we need a Team there. The place reeks of money and there are QLD/NSW people all over the bloody place!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep, in my local shopping centre yesterday we had two RL clubs recruiting Jnrs (one of them was telling me their Jnr numbers have gone from 70 to 170 in 4 years!) and two shop assistants stopped me to talk about my Reds polo I was wearing. You see heaps of NRL gear now and the numbers of workers from the East coast gets bigger every year. We will get 12k+ paying up to $45 on Saturday to watch a trial game FFS! Perth is a no brainer. Brisbane or CC is the real debate.

elbusto

Coach
Yep, in my local shopping centre yesterday we had two RL clubs recruiting Jnrs (one of them was telling me their Jnr numbers have gone from 70 to 170 in 4 years!) and two shop assistants stopped me to talk about my Reds polo I was wearing. You see heaps of NRL gear now and the numbers of workers from the East coast gets bigger every year. We will get 12k+ paying up to $45 on Saturday to watch a trial game FFS! Perth is a no brainer. Brisbane or CC is the real debate.
It wil be a QLD Team almost certainly in Brisbane.

As for Central Coast Bears - long way off.

When you've finished climbing from under the rock that you've been sleeping in, go to the CCBears thread and read re: sponsors, corporate partners, financial members, business plan and the sustainability of the bid. Then evaluate that with comments made by Gallop and just close often he and the Bears bid team discuss matters. Then you'll realise that we're not a long way off. Matter of fact we have it all covered thus far.

As I said viewing figures at the ground and on TV are up since the Bears demise so I am not sure where these 40K have been lost?

Viewing numbers are also up since the Reds, Rams and Crushers demise. Should we evaluate them under the same misguided view as well? Or does it only apply to the Bears? There is without a doubt 40k minimum fans lost to the game since the Bears demise, the NRL wouldn't make up numbers like these for the sake of it. If anything they'd make the number smaller so it wouldn't look "that" bad on the code in the eyes of others for going through such turmoil considering. Greg Florimo believes it's actually closer to 60k and if anyone would know it would be a former Norths, current CCBears CEO.

elbusto

Coach
When you've finished climbing from under the rock that you've been sleeping in, go to the CCBears thread and read re: sponsors, corporate partners, financial members, business plan and the sustainability of the bid. Then evaluate that with comments made by Gallop and just close often he and the Bears bid team discuss matters. Then you'll realise that we're not a long way off. Matter of fact we have it all covered thus far.
If it makes you feel better then that is fine. In the real world you have two chances and I do not like either of them.