What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No team dies on my watch

alien

Referee
"No team dies on my watch"

i wonder if that goes for nsw cup teams too since it looks like wests ashfield wont be funding wests magpies after this season...

Beowulf

Juniors
"No team dies on my watch"

i wonder if that goes for nsw cup teams too since it looks like wests ashfield wont be funding wests magpies after this season...

True. The threat is the IC might insist that NRL teams have their own reserve grade team iso the u20 comp. Magpies is the thin edge of the wedge. Same fate might await the non-NRL NSW Cup sides such as North Sydney Bears, Newtown Jets?

Bundaberg Cup....or more likely, fold?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tough one, I think a more national 2nd tier comp would be more interesting to TV and sponsorship but would obviously cost a lot more to run and damage some of our historical NSW and Q'land clubs. We know Leagues clubs are running out of money so the idea that they will continue to fund these teams to the tune of $750k a year is probably not realistic for many and the NRL clubs are also claiming poor and saying they can;t afford to fund a 2nd tier. A compromise position maybe needs to be found where a combination of NRL club, ARLC fudning and leagues clubs chipping in us used to set a min income level for each club and then other expansion areas such as Victoria, WA, NZ, PNG etc are assisted to join the Satet comp most suited to their locations?

An end of season comp between the two state comps might also help generate funds?

RedVee

First Grade
True. The threat is the IC might insist that NRL teams have their own reserve grade team iso the u20 comp. Magpies is the thin edge of the wedge. Same fate might await the non-NRL NSW Cup sides such as North Sydney Bears, Newtown Jets?

Bundaberg Cup....or more likely, fold?

Either that, or the reverse. A revived 2nd Division that now includes teams like the Maggies, Norths, Newtown, Steelers etc.
That could become a palatable location for a club that takes a relocation bait. Eg ( not advocating) if Cro Sharks take a final stumble, they may be able to continue within this 2nd Div style comp, while having some sort of presence in the NRL as the Wellington ( Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, CQ ) Sharks.

docbrown

Coach
Why not just have the Under 20's side called Balmain Tigers and the NSW Cup side called the Western Suburbs Magpies?

docbrown

Coach
I still think the NSW cup should be reformatted. I think that rather than have Sydney clubs with few juniors playing that side, we should link them up with a couple of regional sides -

Southern Division:
Riverina, South Coast, Canberra, Illawarra

Northern Division:
Northern Rivers, New England, North Coast, Central West

Central Division:
Newcastle, Central Coast, Manly & 1 other Sydney club

Sydney Division:
Newtown Jets, Campbelltown & 2 other Sydney clubs

Then below that a Sydney Group with teams affiliated to NRL teams as well

newman

First Grade
Good news from Gallop, clubs falling over, going broke or relocating only hurts the code. A sensible approach to restructuring the comp in a minor fashion can now be layed down by the IC.

f**k the bears.

Beowulf

Juniors
Good news from Gallop, clubs falling over, going broke or relocating only hurts the code. A sensible approach to restructuring the comp in a minor fashion can now be layed down by the IC.

f**k the bears.

Thank f**k for the bears I think you mean! :lol:

RLNY

Juniors
I would agree that relocating or contracting teams should only be used as a last resort.

alien

Referee
balmain couldnt even afford their own nsw cup team. they were balmain RYDE EASTWOOD tigers, because ryde eastwood leagues club were paying for them. why do magpies have to make the sacrifice and die (merging with balmain in nsw cup just because balmain cant afford it). magpies should be the wests tigers feeder team in the nsw cup, and all nrl players not required for 1st grade go to the magpies. im sure if that happened wests ashfield & maybe even wests campbelltown would definitely help fund the side and the money wests tigers would save on not having to spend money on a nsw cup side could go to the juniors. im sure the magpies could train with wests tigers once a fortnight or whatever to keep a connection with wests tigers 1st grade side, and the players from magpies who get into the 1st grade side would train all week with the wests tigers too

docbrown

Coach
balmain couldnt even afford their own nsw cup team. they were balmain RYDE EASTWOOD tigers, because ryde eastwood leagues club were paying for them. why do magpies have to make the sacrifice and die (merging with balmain in nsw cup just because balmain cant afford it). magpies should be the wests tigers feeder team in the nsw cup, and all nrl players not required for 1st grade go to the magpies. im sure if that happened wests ashfield & maybe even wests campbelltown would definitely help fund the side and the money wests tigers would save on not having to spend money on a nsw cup side could go to the juniors. im sure the magpies could train with wests tigers once a fortnight or whatever to keep a connection with wests tigers 1st grade side, and the players from magpies who get into the 1st grade side would train all week with the wests tigers too

Like I said, I don't see why the Under 20's Toyota cup side couldn't just be called Balmain Tigers - in most cases it's just called Tigers any how.

That leaves the Magpies for the NSW Cup.

alien

Referee
Like I said, I don't see why the Under 20's Toyota cup side couldn't just be called Balmain Tigers - in most cases it's just called Tigers any how.

That leaves the Magpies for the NSW Cup.
i think the under 20s team has to be called the same as the firstgrade team because its under nrl, but the bundy cup team could have been called balmain tigers

Latest posts