What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-eels footy stuff

emjaycee

Coach
What exactly does this mean? .... what are the other 47%?

From the article:

Third-party agreements, which include:

• Marquee player allowances, capped at $600,000 per club;
  • Whole of game sponsorship leveraging, often with State of Origin sponsors or government organisations;
  • Tools of trade, usually contra deals for boots or headgear; and
  • Arm's-length agreements, which are private deals between players and sponsors.

emjaycee

Coach
I can't be assed doing the sums, but the figures and percentages in that article look wrong.
Total third party arrangements (incl. marquee allowance, tools of trade and whole of game sponsorship as well as private "tpa's") equal $9.6m but the allowable marquee allowances are less than $4.5m. This is on average less than $250k per club from a possible $600k per club.

I call bullshit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, the third party arms length deals are just, well, bullshit for mine

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can't be assed doing the sums, but the figures and percentages in that article look wrong.
Total third party arrangements (incl. marquee allowance, tools of trade and whole of game sponsorship as well as private "tpa's") equal $9.6m but the allowable marquee allowances are less than $4.5m. This is on average less than $250k per club from a possible $600k per club.

I call bullshit.
I call bullshit on anything released by Greenburg or the NRL.

strider

Post Whore
The total amount of third-party agreements in 2017 was $9.6 million spread among 198 players.
Am i missing something or is it just a massive coincidence that this amount is exactly the amount of marquee allowance? ... 16 x 600k

84 Baby

Referee
The total amount of third-party agreements in 2017 was $9.6 million spread among 198 players.

Of that amount, $3.76m is paid by the private sector and goes to 93 players. However, eight players earn 50 per cent of that figure

Dafuq? Total TPAs = $9.6m to 198 players
$3.76m of that is paid by private sector? to 93 of the players?
So $5.84m is paid by clubs/NRL/public sector? And I assume across the full 198 and not the remaining 105? So which teams aren't using up their marquee allowance?
But anyway $1.88m goes to all of 8 players (guesses Billy the Cat, #CAMMILLIONAIRE, Turdston, Cronk? Shaun Johnson? Hayne? Woods? DCE?) which is $235k each. But the other 85 average about $20k each? Why the f**k has there been so much media speculation over players crying over not being paid TPA? $20k is drop in ocean compared to contract

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So $5.84m is paid by clubs/NRL/public sector? And I assume across the full 198 and not the remaining 105? So which teams aren't using up their marquee allowance?
But anyway $1.88m goes to all of 8 players (guesses Billy the Cat, #CAMMILLIONAIRE, Turdston, Cronk? Shaun Johnson? Hayne? Woods? DCE?) which is $235k each. But the other 85 average about $20k each? Why the f**k has there been so much media speculation over players crying over not being paid TPA? $20k is drop in ocean compared to contract
But it's still $20k

TheParraboy

Staff member

You could argue an up an comer on 180k contract, and getting 20k 3rd party = $200,000 annual salary

Are you suggesting he just forget about 10% of his salary, that was promised, most likely in writing?

strider

Post Whore
But the people you hear upset about their missing TPAs are usually fairly high paid merkins .... sure 20k is 20k but it seems fishy to me

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
You could argue an up an comer on 180k contract, and getting 20k 3rd party = $200,000 annual salary

Are you suggesting he just forget about 10% of his salary, that was promised, most likely in writing?

An up and comer on $180k wouldn't be getting TPA's. It's your $700k+ players that have the TPA's. Why would a company pay money for a no name?