What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Are they f**king kidding? So I could be charged with DUI even though I don't drink alcohol? Or at the very least blow over .0 when I don't drink?

Seems like there is a flaw in the technology! They seem to know about it too but haven't done anything about it........actually that's about the level of incompetence I expect from the government.......not blaming police either by the way, they can only do as they are instructed.

Yes in fact they tell a story of a merkin who got done DUI and all he had was a Bubblo Bill ice cream. He went to court and did a breath test before and after having said ice cream to prove that it registered a BAC reading. You can also fail one of those breath tests (when you count to 10 adjacent to their device) when wearing after shave.

Mate+bubble+o+bill+is+more+than+a+cowboy+face+icecream+_1a222de90c50d867928688dcdb050436.jpg

Kornstar

Coach
Yes in fact they tell a story of a merkin who got done DUI and all he had was a Bubblo Bill ice cream. He went to court and did a breath test before and after having said ice cream to prove that it registered a BAC reading. You can also fail one of those breath tests (when you count to 10 adjacent to their device) when wearing after shave.

Mate+bubble+o+bill+is+more+than+a+cowboy+face+icecream+_1a222de90c50d867928688dcdb050436.jpg

I'm surprised no smart merkin has taken the whole thing to court to have them made invalid completely.

You can get done for DUI regardless of what a breathalzyer says. The offence you are describing is a PCA (prescribed concentration of alcohol) offence. In most states you have the right to request a blood test, which will help you if there was something seriously wrong with breath test (but doesn't automatically overturn the breath results). But if you have just finished a single drink and mouth alcohol is present....tell the bloke who pulled you over when he asks.

ash411

Bench
I'm surprised no smart merkin has taken the whole thing to court to have them made invalid completely.
I can't remember who it was, but someone we hung around when we were younger that said you should always have empty Cherry Ripe wrappers in your car if you fail an RBT, as they can set them off as well.

Dibs

Bench

Quite a few years ago I got pulled over on the way home from footy training. They asked the usual have you had a drink tonight m which I responded no to. I hadn't had a drink in 4 days. Anyway they breath test me and I register .02 so he starts hassling me about lying. I said mate I haven't had a drink there is something wrong with your machine. He just said well it's no big deal you are under anyway. I responded yeah but what if I was on my p plates you would be charging me and I havent had a drink. He just walked away. I don't trust those things. Another night I was with a bloke and we drank a carton of throw downs between us. Went for a drive and they breath tested him and it came back 0. He was shitting himself as he was on his p plates

Gronk

Staff member
You can get done for DUI regardless of what a breathalzyer says. The offence you are describing is a PCA (prescribed concentration of alcohol) offence. In most states you have the right to request a blood test, which will help you if there was something seriously wrong with breath test (but doesn't automatically overturn the breath results). But if you have just finished a single drink and mouth alcohol is present....tell the bloke who pulled you over when he asks.

Yep I know the diff between DIU & PCA. I used DUI anacronym because most people recognise what that means and not the other.

In fact I went DIU (not PCA) when I was about 22.

I have a story which is attached to it actually which involves, a police station at 1am, a lawyer, the courthouse and an envelope of cash. I'll share it one day.

Suitman

Post Whore
I was pulled over and breath tested once. I'd just come from a wedding, and because I was driving, I'd only had a few.
The copper said I was close to the limit, so asked me to let my wife drive instead so we swapped places and she drove home.
Stupid thing was, she'd had a skinful. He didn't test her.
True story.

Kornstar

Coach
I can't remember who it was, but someone we hung around when we were younger that said you should always have empty Cherry Ripe wrappers in your car if you fail an RBT, as they can set them off as well.

Yeah one of the drivers at PH, not sure if it was true but he was very committed to it as he hassle about 300 wrappers in his car at all times just in case.

phantom eel

First Grade
There was even a quote in the SMH artcile from polcie saying the man ws known to police, with no links to terror organisations...

But it doesn't make for as good a story or as many clicks without "terror" in the title.