What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

strider

Post Whore
Scientist have discovered exoplanets (whatever that means) which are likely to support life.

Thing is that they are 40 light years away.

So If I wanted to go there it would take me 40 years travelling at the speed of light ? Is that how it works ?

Merkins on the ABC say that science is "so excited" about this find.

TBH the cash to discover this find should have been pumped into global warming.

https://www.inverse.com/article/28182-nasa-discovers-7-exoplanets-potentially-habitable-trappist-1
They're spending too much time trying to find planets just like ours ... no one wants to find aliens just like us - we want cool aliens who can do cool things we cant ffs

Gronk

Staff member
Update. Excited chick from NASA says that using current technology we could fly there in 120,000 years travel time..

Gronk

Staff member
They're spending too much time trying to find planets just like ours ... no one wants to find aliens just like us - we want cool aliens who can do cool things we cant ffs
Stephen Hawkins said the same thing. Don't wake up the bear he said. You don't want to meet them.

Gronk

Staff member
Fair enough. I despise the merkin too. Regardless of our opinions of the host though, there is video evidence of this muppet claiming that beating your wife is a last resort.

Yep and apparently 25% of your neighbours feel that DV is OK at times, provided that he shows some remorse.

Many of us think violence can be excusable
VicHealth CEO Jerril Rechter says there is still a lot of work to do when it comes to changing peoples' attitudes.

"What we do know is that violence is a choice. It's not an instinct," she said.

"It is never acceptable and no woman ever invites it or deserves it."

The report says excusing violence undermines support for the notion that it is a choice and that people using it ought to be held accountable.

INFOGRAPHIC: Excuses for domestic and sexual violence (per cent agree) (VicHealth)

Even though up to one in five believe there are circumstances in which violence can be excused, since 2009 there has been a decrease in the number who believe that domestic violence can be excused if the violent person is regretful afterward.

More men than women still think regret is an excuse (26 per cent vs 17 per cent).

When it comes to sexual violence, more Australians now agree that rape results from men not being able to control their need for sex. The proportion of women agreeing with this statement increased from 32 per cent in 2009 to 41 per cent in 2013, outstripping the 39 per cent to 44 per cent among men.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-18/charts-attitudes-to-violence-against-women/5750014

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yep and apparently 25% of your neighbours feel that DV is OK at times, provided that he shows some remorse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-18/charts-attitudes-to-violence-against-women/5750014
Your attempt to dilute the appalling comments by raising the shocking general population DV stats is concerning to say the least.

DV is deplorable no matter who it is committed by but my point (if you actually bothered to read it) was that it was a leader of a particular community justifying it based on ideological beliefs.

How you can almost defend that is absurd.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Keyser Trad is a knob and will always try and justify every last bit of the Koran. We know this already. We also know that there are a lot of other Muslim leaders who think his comments are appalling.

Yes, Trad's comments are terrible and he should be f**king ashamed of himself. But let's not pretend that Bolt didn't know exactly what he was doing here. He engineered the whole thing to create the sort of outrage that we are seeing. It might even get a few more people tuning into his show.

It's the same trick that the f**kwits at Q&A use to get the lefties fired up and it is absolute shit. When ratings and media relevance are at stake it is easier to maintain and reinforce the divide instead of presenting things that help unite people.

Gronk

Staff member
Your attempt to dilute the appalling comments by raising the shocking general population DV stats is concerning to say the least.

DV is deplorable no matter who it is committed by but my point (if you actually bothered to read it) was that it was a leader of a particular community justifying it based on ideological beliefs.

How you can almost defend that is absurd.

I'm not defending anyone, in fact I am highlighting my long held opinion that a huge percentage of males of our species are scum.

You only have to see the cave man type attitudes towards DV. Don't get me started on those scumbag men who use religion as an excuse to degrade, humiliate, incarcerate, mutilate and even murder women.

Latest posts