What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
A Toorak Tractor.

Toorak?

Picked up a pretty good set of gates from there one night

21014754_10154924212801009_57353063_o.png

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade
Here's one for Pou, who I think attempted to claim that marriage was always religious rather thanarising from society's views and needs - and also attempted to claim that church leadership reflects the view of the poeple who follow it..

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/archi...c-community-and-the-pope-20170820-gy03xk.html

The "reality" here is that opinion polls show consistently that 60 to 70 per cent of Australian Catholics support marriage equality. They see it as no threat to their families or to the sacramental ideal of marriage to which many of them aspire. They are the ones with a grounded, implicit understanding of the role marriage plays in the reality of people's lives, not just in societies where their church has some influence, but worldwide.

Indeed, for 1500 years of its history, Catholic marriage operated in exactly this way, according to societal norms and laws, not church ones. The great scholastic theologian Thomas Aquinas argued explicitly that "[as to marriage's] other [non-theological] advantages…such as the friendship and mutual services which husband and wife render one another, its institution belongs to the civil law". This respected view reflects the common sense that puts the archbishops out of step with the majority of Australian Catholics.

0-2...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Here's one for Pou, who I think attempted to claim that marriage was always religious rather thanarising from society's views and needs - and also attempted to claim that church leadership reflects the view of the poeple who follow it..

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/archi...c-community-and-the-pope-20170820-gy03xk.html

The "reality" here is that opinion polls show consistently that 60 to 70 per cent of Australian Catholics support marriage equality. They see it as no threat to their families or to the sacramental ideal of marriage to which many of them aspire. They are the ones with a grounded, implicit understanding of the role marriage plays in the reality of people's lives, not just in societies where their church has some influence, but worldwide.

Indeed, for 1500 years of its history, Catholic marriage operated in exactly this way, according to societal norms and laws, not church ones. The great scholastic theologian Thomas Aquinas argued explicitly that "[as to marriage's] other [non-theological] advantages…such as the friendship and mutual services which husband and wife render one another, its institution belongs to the civil law". This respected view reflects the common sense that puts the archbishops out of step with the majority of Australian Catholics.

0-2...
That just shows it came from older religions. Everyone knows the Catholics co-opt folk spirituality. It's probably the same for all Christian sects but the Catholics are famous for it.

I would say that marriage co-opted religion, not the other way around.

Back in the day, it was important to have absolute certainty that the child coming out of the womb belonged to the male partner. He was, after all, about to work his short lifespan to pass on whatever he could and give his limited resources to keep the child alive.

So, how do you absolutely ensure that the woman only breeds with that one specific man? You make them swear an oath before the highest power - the gods - and attach retribution from those gods to breaking that oath.

As such, marriage (and thus society) needed to appropriate the power of the gods into unions, so they co-opted religion as made it the core part of marriage.

Seems logical to me.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Back in the day, it was important to have absolute certainty that the child coming out of the womb belonged to the male partner. He was, after all, about to work his short lifespan to pass on whatever he could and give his limited resources to keep the child alive.

So, how do you absolutely ensure that the woman only breeds with that one specific man? You make them swear an oath before the highest power - the gods - and attach retribution from those gods to breaking that oath.

As such, marriage (and thus society) needed to appropriate the power of the gods into unions, so they co-opted religion as made it the core part of marriage.

Seems logical to me.
Cool story, but it needs more lizard people.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol, laughable logic. And again no supporting links.

Thanks for coming.
There's plenty of supporting links, but just like your sources they are all politicised and therefore easy to discredit. The fact is history is a soft 'science' and therefore vulnerable to political influence and lacking in the controls (such as reproducibility) that make the hard sciences reliable.

Humans invented religions (and still do) to enforce social norms. Marriage has always been one of those norms, and for the entirety of human history the norm has been marriage between a man and a woman only. Because anything else has never made sense.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Seems logical to me.
Exactly. Supernatural authority has always been used to enforce norms. It didn't start with Christianity (or its precursor Judaism).