What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Broadband is infrastructure.

At this point with some houses having fibre, some copper and some hybrid cable, home buyers are seeking homes with the fastest connection. Agents are stating that buyers are asking if the house has fibre. If no, then they say no thanks. Ask around. True story.
Sounds like it’s affecting house prices. So why should the government pay for it?

Broadband is infrastructure.

At this point with some houses having fibre, some copper and some hybrid cable, home buyers are seeking homes with the fastest connection. Agents are stating that buyers are asking if the house has fibre. If no, then they say no thanks. Ask around. True story.

While I agree that it makes sense for public investment in genuinely high speed broadband, the intended speed of the roll-out was beyond the resources available. Supply and demand are very simple principles.. I'd have been happier with a slower (and ultimately cheaper) roll-out of fibre to the home. What we have ended up with is a very predictable cluster f**k. I'm not on the NBN, but my VDSL2 works fine for all home user purposes and costs me $80/month all in (including phone).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The government is hopeless at providing anything, including infrastructure. Let providers provide this stuff and homeowners pay for it. The government could even force merkins to pay for it by upping their rates.

Johnny Consumer can contribute and give Johnny Taxpayer a f**king break. I understand they’re often the same person, but John C has choice where John T doesn’t.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I hired a Ferrari in Hawaii once and drove it around Oahu to Nth Shore n all that. Was all right but I don't really see the point in owning one.

I've never seen the point in driving a car that does 250 kph when the speed limit is only 60 kph

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You get what you pay for. Private businesses are always keen to fill demand. Especially once the government gets out of the way.

No you dont, just ask people that have had NBN for months at a time and it still doesn't work, and how many billions did it cost ?

One day those billions will bring us up the the 20th century, meanwhile its the 21st century.

The government is hopeless at providing anything, including infrastructure. Let providers provide this stuff and homeowners pay for it. The government could even force merkins to pay for it by upping their rates.

Johnny Consumer can contribute and give Johnny Taxpayer a f**king break. I understand they’re often the same person, but John C has choice where John T doesn’t.

Yeh, but Johnny T frequently receives indirect benefits from Johnny C having access to better infrastructure. In part it is a public good. That doesn't mean that the govt should spend infinite amounts of $$ on it, but it does mean that there is some rationale for public expenditure.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
While I agree that it makes sense for public investment in genuinely high speed broadband, the intended speed of the roll-out was beyond the resources available. Supply and demand are very simple principles.. I'd have been happier with a slower (and ultimately cheaper) roll-out of fibre to the home. What we have ended up with is a very predictable cluster f**k. I'm not on the NBN, but my VDSL2 works fine for all home user purposes and costs me $80/month all in (including phone).

NBN is not only faster it is cheaper. I had the same opinion till I got NBN.

NBN is not only faster it is cheaper. I had the same opinion till I got NBN.

So what do you pay Twizz, and for what? My $80 month is unlimited download, phone. You can't get that on the NBN down here.

I can get up to 50Mbps download. Never have a problem on Netflix or any streaming

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No you dont, just ask people that have had NBN for months at a time and it still doesn't work, and how many billions did it cost ?

One day those billions will bring us up the the 20th century, meanwhile its the 21st century.
These people didn’t pay for it though. Their aggregated taxes did. That means their taxes paid for the aggregated performance of the NBN as provided by the government.

So ultimately they did get what they paid for. They just didn’t have a choice not to.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So what do you pay Twizz, and for what? My $80 month is unlimited download, phone. You can't get that on the NBN down here.

I can get up to 50Mbps download. Never have a problem on Netflix or any streaming

thats a pretty good deal, I used to pay that for about 2/3 mbps with a 500 gig limit. then phone calls were extra and line rental extra $25 a month

I am currently paying $95 a month 100 mbps all you can eat including free voip calls anywhere in Australia no time limits, for an extra $10 I get free calls to all mobiles, no line rental with voip.

Voip phones are pretty cool and you can program them to do shit like mobiles, its effectively like comparing analogue to digital, its just different technology

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeh, but Johnny T frequently receives indirect benefits from Johnny C having access to better infrastructure. In part it is a public good. That doesn't mean that the govt should spend infinite amounts of $$ on it, but it does mean that there is some rationale for public expenditure.
I think fibre to the node is somewhat fair for the government to pay. It’s a damn sight more affordable too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
These people didn’t pay for it though. Their aggregated taxes did. That means their taxes paid for the aggregated performance of the NBN as provided by the government.

So ultimately they did get what they paid for. They just didn’t have a choice not to.

you are assuming everyone has it but they dont, yet they still pay the same taxes as those who do get it, aggregated or not

its a shambles

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
exactly, you changed your tune pretty quick
You assumed my ‘tune’ was that taxpayers didn’t pay for it. However I was saying that taxpayers didn’t derive equal benefits from it.

Obviously my argument is that if every taxpayer had equal access to high speed NBN the government would have spent far too much providing it.

Suitman

Post Whore
I've got ADSL2 via a copper wire.
It's fast and reliable and we can download heaps of shit all at the same time.
This arvo, son was watching you tube clips on the smart tv, I was browsing these type of shitty websites and the daughter was using the Wi-Fi.
All going perfectly as usual.
I'm not sure I want some new technology that I've heard so many bad reports about.