What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Avenger

Immortal
Ok so i just bought a million dollars of bitcoin, how and where do i spend it? @Avenger?
There are already people around the world who are accepting bitcoin as payment for houses, cars and other services. There are at least two properties in Australia that are doing so.

And that’s the thing. I do not intend to cash in my remaiing bitcoin. I’m waiting for it to be accepted as payment for everyday services which I think it will. For example you need a new TV. That’s a certain percentage of bitcoin. Overseas holiday? Yes sir, that will be a certain percentage of bitcoin.

This is where I think we are headed. Bitcoin is just trying to find its price now until it flattens and we are no where near the end as it needs to get to a market cap of literally trillions before it can be used in this way. Remember it is a finite commodity of just 21 million coins but one coin can be divided to 8 decimal points.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore

Fibre is basically the speed of light. It can not be beaten. But reality is people are getting under 12mbps unless pay more. Some get up to 50mbps. You would have to be lucky to get better then that.
I know people on the UP TO A100mpbs plans with optus and they get around 20-30 mbps.

In 5g testing they downloaded a whole season of game of thrones in something like 10 seconds. And a movie in 2 seconds. Of course this is at ideal conditions.

My issue with wirless is the radiation to brains and testicles.

Gronk

Staff member
Fibre is basically the speed of light. It can not be beaten. But reality is people are getting under 12mbps unless pay more. Some get up to 50mbps. You would have to be lucky to get better then that.
I know people on the UP TO A100mpbs plans with optus and they get around 20-30 mbps.

In 5g testing they downloaded a whole season of game of thrones in something like 10 seconds. And a movie in 2 seconds. Of course this is at ideal conditions.

My issue with wirless is the radiation to brains and testicles.

I explained the reason why the NBN is not delivering advertised speeds ^^^. It is because the IPS are not buying enough bandwidth. Noting to do with the network. Research.

hindy111

Post Whore
I explained the reason why the NBN is not delivering advertised speeds ^^^. It is because the IPS are not buying enough bandwidth. Noting to do with the network. Research.

Can I ask why they arent? Are they limited to what available? Wouldnt they want to deliver fast speeds to get people happy

Gronk

Staff member
Can I ask why they arent? Are they limited to what available? Wouldnt they want to deliver fast speeds to get people happy

Profit. The ACCC are after them but. Telstra first. The rest are in their sights. The ACCC intend to expose dodgy ISPs with the aim that the market will sort out the honest reliable ISPs and expose those providers who are full of excuses.

Telstra offers to compensate 42,000 customers for slow NBN speeds

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...ompensate-42000-customers-for-slow-nbn-speeds

hindy111

Post Whore
Profit. The ACCC are after them but. Telstra first. The rest are in their sights. The ACCC intend to expose dodgy ISPs with the aim that the market will sort out the honest reliable ISPs and expose those providers who are full of excuses.

Telstra offers to compensate 42,000 customers for slow NBN speeds

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...ompensate-42000-customers-for-slow-nbn-speeds

Gronk... So even if have a fibre direct to home you share the fibre link from the telstra switches to the node which then branches off to your house. The more people sharing this link from the telstra switch too node the slower it will become.

They do not run individual fibres from telstra switches to your house. Its spliced.

Imagine units. There may be a fibre off the street node servicing 80 people. That then get split from the node to telstra switch.

Unlike old copper system, your indivudal cable although joined at different locations it was still its own cable all the way to telstra switch if thst makes sense.

hindy111

Post Whore
What I am getting at is if the backbone cable is trying to service too many people it womt make a differemce if have fibre directly to home.

Kornstar

Coach
There are already people around the world who are accepting bitcoin as payment for houses, cars and other services. There are at least two properties in Australia that are doing so.

And that’s the thing. I do not intend to cash in my remaiing bitcoin. I’m waiting for it to be accepted as payment for everyday services which I think it will. For example you need a new TV. That’s a certain percentage of bitcoin. Overseas holiday? Yes sir, that will be a certain percentage of bitcoin.

This is where I think we are headed. Bitcoin is just trying to find its price now until it flattens and we are no where near the end as it needs to get to a market cap of literally trillions before it can be used in this way. Remember it is a finite commodity of just 21 million coins but one coin can be divided to 8 decimal points.

Looking on the surface well done to you for investing by the way, FMD 25k now.....

I get it but looking at the link you shared yesterday there are so many options and only a couple are currently trending up.

I am thinking most people have missed the boat on bitcoin although probably the same thing was said as recent as last week and it has gone up like 15k. People will now look at the other options where i guess there is actually a lot more risk right now.

If i wasn’t leaving for the US next week i would seriously think about putting $1000 just to see where it goes and wouldn’t care if i lost it. But i don’t have the balls to do it tbh.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Genuine question, as I do find it all a bit confusing.

What I don't get, is why do we need another currency? What is so special about bitcoin (and others) compared to, let's say US dollars?

BTW it just hit $18k

Kornstar

Coach
Genuine question, as I do find it all a bit confusing.

What I don't get, is why do we need another currency? What is so special about bitcoin (and others) compared to, let's say US dollars?

BTW it just hit $18k

Yeah that is my thought. It seems so weird that there are now hundreds of other effectively currencies out there based on a fake resource.

Yes Avenger i know they are recorded etc. but it is still from nothing that someone decided to try and sell and people bought them and now they have value.

Gronk

Staff member
Gronk... So even if have a fibre direct to home you share the fibre link from the telstra switches to the node which then branches off to your house. The more people sharing this link from the telstra switch too node the slower it will become.

They do not run individual fibres from telstra switches to your house. Its spliced.

Imagine units. There may be a fibre off the street node servicing 80 people. That then get split from the node to telstra switch.

Unlike old copper system, your indivudal cable although joined at different locations it was still its own cable all the way to telstra switch if thst makes sense.

There is bugger all signal degradation with Fibre to the Premise (best). Some lucky NBN merkins are getting Fibre to the Kerb (good). Fibre to the Node (bad). Hence why Abbott's $2 shop version of the NBN was always destined to fail. You say that fibre signal degrades ? I'd like to see a link. Below is degradation from the node using copper.

vdsl2-attenuation.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There is bugger all signal degradation with Fibre to the Premise (best). Some lucky NBN merkins are getting Fibre to the Kerb (good). Fibre to the Node (bad). Hence why Abbott's $2 shop version of the NBN was always destined to fail.
How did it 'fail'? Are people not using it? Or do complaints = failure? In that case every government fails at everything, all the time. Merkins complain.

The lesson is to keep government out of the providing business.
You say that fibre signal degrades ? I'd like to see a link. Below is degradation from the node using copper.
Is anyone arguing that attenuation is worse with fibre than copper? The argument is that fibre will be replaced very quickly as the optimal choice for high speed data transfer. By something other than copper.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

there are houses on the Gold Coast for sale for Bitcoin, it appears some people are willing to sell properties to buy into it

hindy111

Post Whore
Looking on the surface well done to you for investing by the way, FMD 25k now.....

I get it but looking at the link you shared yesterday there are so many options and only a couple are currently trending up.

I am thinking most people have missed the boat on bitcoin although probably the same thing was said as recent as last week and it has gone up like 15k. People will now look at the other options where i guess there is actually a lot more risk right now.

If i wasn’t leaving for the US next week i would seriously think about putting $1000 just to see where it goes and wouldn’t care if i lost it. But i don’t have the balls to do it tbh.

Dunno my accountant reckons are heaps risky. Could end up with nothing but that in their firm people are talking of the million dollar mark.