What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Sydney Bears trial match Thurs 8th Feb

Rabbits20

Immortal
Defence is an attitude and if all the boys are close then they’ll play for eachother in defence. I keep wondering about Nicholls though. I have a feeling he might make the 17 over Turner.
I'm looking forward to seeing next week how they go....

Nicholls is an interesting one.

You heading out there?

ThingFish

Juniors
That’s honestly great to see. Good on the older Souths boys getting down there and showing their support. The banter between the squad is top knotch on instagram. Haven’t seen them like this since 2014. Hopefully this is a big signal about the tightness of the squad.
I’ve been off Twitter and FB for a while now, but that’s what I noticed 2012-14 the banter between the squad on social media was close. Some of it got a bit weird like the George penis selfie and Peatsy talking about sports bets he’d won and lost. But it really reflected a close team, the meals out together, Issac calling himself the 5th Burgess brother. 2015 it was almost gone completely.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Saw a clip of the Hiroti try and that he and Burns were playing on the right.

Makes me think Burns probably isn't in contention for that left centre position.

ThingFish

Juniors
Saw a clip of the Hiroti try and that he and Burns were playing on the right.

Makes me think Burns probably isn't in contention for that left centre position.
He played solid and will probably be there for depth. A positive is he got rid of that horrible moustache. But he and Hiroti combined well in D as well, gang tackling and showing the winger the sideline.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
He played solid and will probably be there for depth. A positive is he got rid of that horrible moustache. But he and Hiroti combined well in D as well, gang tackling and showing the winger the sideline.
Yeah, I rate Burns as a centre, I just think this means he's probably not in contention to start the season if he played right centre. (Gagai is almost guaranteed that spot and if they were looking at him for that vacant left centre spot, he would have played there for the Bears).

What side of the ruck did they use Talakai on at second row?

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I have to admit I didn’t pay attention. Maybe one of the other guys can help. I know on occasion he came flying out of the line a nailed some poor dudes.
Lol all good mate....and that doesn't surprise me, he's a sawn off little beast

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I’ve been off Twitter and FB for a while now, but that’s what I noticed 2012-14 the banter between the squad on social media was close. Some of it got a bit weird like the George penis selfie and Peatsy talking about sports bets he’d won and lost. But it really reflected a close team, the meals out together, Issac calling himself the 5th Burgess brother. 2015 it was almost gone completely.

Haha yeah it’s classic though. Reynolds is an absolute crack up with his impression of an English accent. I haven’t seen this side of him in a while. He actually looks pretty fit as well. No more gut.

George Burgess is scary lean. Looks like a male model.

Travitoh

First Grade
Burns definitely has talent. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't play first grade this season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yes I’ll definitely try everything I can to get there. I really wanna see the boys in action after all the preseason hype.
Seibs saying he won't risk AR and GI mightn't be ready for round 1........

But yeah it'll be good to see the boys in action...

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Not sure why we even signed Gagan.
He will be the new Dane Nielsen

You can’t fill up a squad of 30 with all NRL ready players. Besides Gagan was absolutely electric in the younger grades before he got injured. He puts his body on the line and is probably why he got injured. You go through every squad in the NRL and there will definitely be a few duds.

Nielsen couldn’t even crack a 3rd division super league side and was nearing retirement when he came to us so I don’t think the two can be compared. If Gagan gets a good run at the bears he could come good, mostly because he’s still young.

themacemaceman

Juniors
R20 you may have read this article. Thought I'd post it for everyone.
This is from the "League Live App"

South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold insists he has no reservations about pulling star duo Greg Inglis and Adam Reynolds from both the team's trials due to injury issues.

Seibold has already ruled Inglis out of warm-up matches against Wigan and St George Illawarra as the captain continues his recovery from a knee reconstruction.

However Reynolds could also be saved until the Rabbitohs' round one match against the Warriors as he remains on ice following a minor ankle complaint a fortnight ago.

"We're not looking to play Greg in the trials," Seibold told AAP on Friday.

And we'll just see with Adam. He's missed two weeks of work. It's not a whole heap of work that he's missed but I'd rather our whole focus is round one against the Warriors.

"With all due respect to our two trial games, it's about making sure that we have our best team available for round one and both Reyno and Greg are very experienced."

Seibold, who is entering his first season as an NRL head coach, believed Reynolds was primed for a career-best season before his ankle blew up during a camp in Canberra.

However the former NSW State of Origin playmaker isn't in doubt for the season-opener.

"He's had a particularly good pre-season. He's been there day one. He had a bit of hiccup at the AIS camp, just an overload with his plantar fasciitis causing him some dramas," Seibold said.

"He's been in a boot for two weeks but he won't have any issues starting the season proper."

Seibold clarified his cautious approach with Inglis had nothing to do with the depression issues the representative star addressed last season.

The Rabbitohs' March 10 home fixture against the Warriors will be almost exactly one year since Inglis underwent major knee surgery.

"Greg's right at the pointy end of his rehabilitation, so we're certainly not going to rush him back. He's going to be thereabouts at the start of the season," Seibold said.

"But if he needs another week or two or three even, we're not going to put any pressure on him. We'd rather Greg come back a couple of weeks too late and than too early.

"Everyone wants to know what position he's going to play - he's trained at fullback and also trained at left centre over the pre-season. We'll do what's best for Greg and for the team."

callmack1

Staff member
R20 you may have read this article. Thought I'd post it for everyone.
This is from the "League Live App"

South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold insists he has no reservations about pulling star duo Greg Inglis and Adam Reynolds from both the team's trials due to injury issues.

Seibold has already ruled Inglis out of warm-up matches against Wigan and St George Illawarra as the captain continues his recovery from a knee reconstruction.

However Reynolds could also be saved until the Rabbitohs' round one match against the Warriors as he remains on ice following a minor ankle complaint a fortnight ago.

"We're not looking to play Greg in the trials," Seibold told AAP on Friday.

And we'll just see with Adam. He's missed two weeks of work. It's not a whole heap of work that he's missed but I'd rather our whole focus is round one against the Warriors.

"With all due respect to our two trial games, it's about making sure that we have our best team available for round one and both Reyno and Greg are very experienced."

Seibold, who is entering his first season as an NRL head coach, believed Reynolds was primed for a career-best season before his ankle blew up during a camp in Canberra.

However the former NSW State of Origin playmaker isn't in doubt for the season-opener.

"He's had a particularly good pre-season. He's been there day one. He had a bit of hiccup at the AIS camp, just an overload with his plantar fasciitis causing him some dramas," Seibold said.

"He's been in a boot for two weeks but he won't have any issues starting the season proper."

Seibold clarified his cautious approach with Inglis had nothing to do with the depression issues the representative star addressed last season.

The Rabbitohs' March 10 home fixture against the Warriors will be almost exactly one year since Inglis underwent major knee surgery.

"Greg's right at the pointy end of his rehabilitation, so we're certainly not going to rush him back. He's going to be thereabouts at the start of the season," Seibold said.

"But if he needs another week or two or three even, we're not going to put any pressure on him. We'd rather Greg come back a couple of weeks too late and than too early.

"Everyone wants to know what position he's going to play - he's trained at fullback and also trained at left centre over the pre-season. We'll do what's best for Greg and for the team."
Thanks for that Mace.

I think it's wise to not play Reyno and GI in the trials now, we just can't afford to risk them because at the end of the day (with all due respect), trials are just trials and there are no points on offer.

Can't wait for next week and Round 1 though, absoulutely hissing!

southsport

First Grade
Thanks for that Mace.

I think it's wise to not play Reyno and GI in the trials now, we just can't afford to risk them because at the end of the day (with all due respect), trials are just trials and there are no points on offer.

Can't wait for next week and Round 1 though, absoulutely hissing!

Agree with that, also it will be a good chance to look at the abilities of others in those positions.