What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Platinum League

siv

First Grade
What does the new Northern Platinum League mean to QLD Cup ?

14 teams

Everyone now fielding a top team, u20s, u18s and u16s

johnny plath

Juniors
Who knows. Qld cup already has 14 teams, but two come from outside of qld in PNG hunters and Tweed Seagulls. There had been some reports of a push to get a Toowoomba team back into the fold within the next 2 years I think, so not sure how that plays out now. Maybe Tweed heads return to the southern conference? PNG has been a great success and can't imagine them being cut.

In terms of under age teams, with the exception of PNG, all of the Q cup teams are represented in 16s and 18s, although the Gold Coast rep teams play as Gold Coast Green and White, rather than Burleigh Bears and Tweed Seagulls. Toowoomba, Central Crows, and Victoria State teams also compete in 16s and 18s comps, so not sure how this plays out. So Cyrill Connell and Mal Meninga cups are currently 16 team comps.

U20s is a different set up with just the South East Qld teams competing in the FOGS colts comp, which is a ten team comp. Basically covers Sunshine Coast in North, Toowoomba in the west and down to tweed heads. I guess changes will be made if they are committed to 2 x 14 team conferences with consistency throughout all grades/ages.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Who knows. Qld cup already has 14 teams, but two come from outside of qld in PNG hunters and Tweed Seagulls. There had been some reports of a push to get a Toowoomba team back into the fold within the next 2 years I think, so not sure how that plays out now. Maybe Tweed heads return to the southern conference? PNG has been a great success and can't imagine them being cut.

In terms of under age teams, with the exception of PNG, all of the Q cup teams are represented in 16s and 18s, although the Gold Coast rep teams play as Gold Coast Green and White, rather than Burleigh Bears and Tweed Seagulls. Toowoomba, Central Crows, and Victoria State teams also compete in 16s and 18s comps, so not sure how this plays out. So Cyrill Connell and Mal Meninga cups are currently 16 team comps.

U20s is a different set up with just the South East Qld teams competing in the FOGS colts comp, which is a ten team comp. Basically covers Sunshine Coast in North, Toowoomba in the west and down to tweed heads. I guess changes will be made if they are committed to 2 x 14 team conferences with consistency throughout all grades/ages.

Why not a single gold coast-tweed team to free up the 14th spot for toowoomba. Not as if wither side are in the finals year in year out.

Would burleigh and tweed not be better placed in the brisbane premiership so it is in effect the Elite SEQ club competition like ron massey cup in sydney

Diesel

Referee
I haven't seen much about the northern conference, it's (as always) all about NSW. Is there anything saying the QLD conference needs to be 14 teams?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yeh, 14 seems a pretty arbitrary number. If the are 16 viable teams, i cannot imagine them cutting two to get to the magic one-four.

Thats true but you dont want to dilute the 2nd tier too much otherwise it wont get that elite tag that richo is pushing.

14 in each conference seems like a reasonabke balance for now. I was also thinking would it be better to have fiji and png in qld then any kiwi sides in the south.

Last Week

Bench
I haven't seen much about the northern conference, it's (as always) all about NSW. Is there anything saying the QLD conference needs to be 14 teams?

I dare say because the Qld Cup is pretty well balanced as is. Minimal changes required.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Why not a single gold coast-tweed team to free up the 14th spot for toowoomba. Not as if wither side are in the finals year in year out.

Would burleigh and tweed not be better placed in the brisbane premiership so it is in effect the Elite SEQ club competition like ron massey cup in sydney

Toowoomba is a long way from being able to establish a Queensland Cup club. It was a basket case last time with little local interest.

I don't expect Burleigh and Tweed would be too excited about combining to be a single Gold Coast - Tweed team. Why not ask St George and South Sydney to merge and see what reaction you get?

siv

First Grade
14 teams is the old Super League period number that allows for 26 rounds of home and away matches

We have 24 rounds and 3 byes at NRL level today

So if you assume last round is first eeek of the finals it all lines up

The Partisan

Toowoomba is a long way from being able to establish a Queensland Cup club. It was a basket case last time with little local interest.

I don't expect Burleigh and Tweed would be too excited about combining to be a single Gold Coast - Tweed team. Why not ask St George and South Sydney to merge and see what reaction you get?

Yes as stated on similiar themed threads.... The Clydesdales are light years away from returning to top flight RL in the Sunshine state. A repeat of 'Bris..woomba' players being bussed up from the capital city on game day doesn't sit well with the locals. Unfortunately its location, lifestyle and climate aren't big drawcards for potential players - especially young fellows without a family.

Best bet for Toowoomba would be a 'South Qld Super Six' comp with the likes of rep teams from the Gold Coast, Sunny Coast, Ipswich, Wide Bay, and maybe a Brisbane 2nd Division Rep team.

Quidgybo

Bench
Surely the Toowoomba A Grade competition could produce a squad that would be at least as competitive in the QLD Cup as existing teams drawn from Rockhampton and Mackay, no? I would have thought the biggest issue is funding, not players.

Leigh.

The Partisan

In a word ..........No :(

Toowoomba's standard of comp is dropping slowly but surely. They would have to have the support of players aligned to an NRL club. If not the Broncos; a 2nd Bne team. Either way ...the players would be Brisbane based and would hardly know the name of the main street in T.ba.

To put their level into perspective ....Toowoomba had 50 put on them for no reply by the BRL 2nd Grade Rep team a couple of seasons back. A one off that i know can happen to anyone....but realistically an ISC squad from Redcliffe or Ipswich or Easts would do the same on a weekly basis. The Toowoomba 20's team has had this reality for the last couple of years.

The Partisan

If the NRL / ARLC wanted to re-invigorate RL in country areas i feel the key need is variety.

Arrange for teams who don't usually meet ( say Gold Coast v Cairns) to do so in some kind of North v South round robin.

Two pools of four teams each. End up with a top 4 for 2 semis. GF played in centre with greater number of wins or for and against if required.

So it's Toowoomba, Wide Bay; Gold Coast; Ipswich v Townsville; Mackay; Cairns and Mt Isa.

At the same time play the QLD Outback Challenge with the four pool teams not involved the semis playing off to get a winner to play the Outback winner. So could end up with Wide Bay v Central West for the McAuliffe Memorial Cup !

The Partisan

And no i haven't forgotten Rocky or Gladstone....just not used in this example (like Border Bushrangers )

The Partisan

Just under 2 years since I floated my 'SEQ Super Six' and 'State Eights' idea ......so a perfect excuse to revisit !