Not as stupid as the dicks who vote for him

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Surely, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

The government’s policies have stopped the boats,” he said. “They’re not coming, so the circumstances of rejecting boat arrivals has been achieved.”

Albanese said that the previous Labor government was wrong to believe that Australia’s border policies were not a “pull factor” for asylum seekers, which is why it changed tack when Kevin Rudd regained the leadership and reinstated offshore detention.

Albanese said Labor in government would be “tough on people smugglers” without being “weak on humanity”.

Asked about human services spokeswoman Linda Burney’s call for a time limit on offshore detention, Albanese said he did not support a timeframe but he believed Australia could end “long-term indefinite detention” that has led to refugees taking their own lives and mental anguish.

He suggested making the program more humanitarian by increasing the refugee intake, working with the UNHCR, achieving faster third-party resettlement of refugees and offering permanent rather than temporary protection visas.

“The range of changes I’ve pointed out are there – but no change in terms of people who arrive by boat, they wouldn’t be settled in Australia,” he said.

https://amp.theguardian.com/austral...ed-the-boats-and-opposes-detention-time-limit

I'm shocked I tells ya

2. mave

mave Bench

Bill would be getting very very nervous I would think.

3. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

He’d want a decent result come super Saturday

Albo going in dry on Bill

4. Mong

Mong Post Whore

Normally I would have no issue with him being leader. He has ruled it out though, starting off as leader as a proven lying merkin would make him none better than the others.

Lynoman likes this.
  5. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

Could be all sorts of things there, super Saturday 'aint the only election in play. There's a rather more important one next year, and should Bill fail to get Labour over the line in that one, his position would obviously be untenable.

Albo put himself up in 2013 and he knows he has the support of the rank and file, it would be pretty naive to believe he has no further ambition to lead the party.

It's always been a case of when, which from my understanding of the rules put in place by Rudd, would need either a significant revolt from the caucus, or Bill to declare the position up for grabs. Given the right within the caucus hold enough numbers, I really don't see Albo getting a shot before the federal election, as why would they ( the right ) risk giving up the position of leader to a member of the left?

6. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

I believe Labor are going to lose a Federal election that they should win quite well, purely because of Shorten's leadership.

He's so boring. And what's worse, he's a boring merkin who's been around for a long time as opposition leader so there is zero element of freshness about him as potential PM.

But perhaps Shorten's biggest crime is that he stands for nothing. He just reels off endless dull scripted speeches; never giving off a sense that he believes passionately in anything.

Albo is the opposite. He has passion and personality and you get a sense that he's always believed in his policy positions.

It's why I like him and believe he'd win the next election as leader.

Over to you Labor. Personally I think they'll stick with Bill and lose what should be the unlosable election.

mave and Jimbo like this.
  7. Surely

The one already there is a lying Merkin who got the position despite the members not wanting him, even a little vote rigging to assist.

8. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

Tbh I think you could almost swap Bill in to replace Mal as leader of the coalition and slot into the Prime Minister-ship, whilst popping Mal into position of the leader of the Labor party, and not too many would notice the difference

mave and Parra like this.
  9. Mong

Mong Post Whore

Yes, that was my point.

10. Surely

Shorten told reporters on Tuesday he would leave Victorian preselections to the Victorian Labor party and its officials but “one thing I will make clear, though, both internally and externally: I back my sitting MPs”.

“If I have got sitting members who want to keep contributing, I want them on the front line,” he said. “What I will offer is a period of stability for my MPs ... I will make sure I protect my sitting MPs.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/austral...or-powerbrokers-against-targeting-sitting-mps

Classic dodgy bill, I won't interfere but I will.

11. mave

mave Bench

They are both Vanilla.

Albo is by far more emotive, and I like the fact that he appears to stand for his principles.
    Agree with him or not, but you know what you are getting with Albo.

12. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Albanese is the perfect guy to run in this modern day political environment because he is such an absurd character. However it is probably too late and Labor needs to live and die by Shorten now. I still think Shorten is going to win as an aside but he is so vanilla that the liberals are a chance no matter how bad they are. They just need a few wins in a row and suddenly boring old Shorten isnt that great of an option.

EDIT

Also if you want to talk Albo v Shorten i dont think Shorten could hold this seat (well maybe he could if he went into the election as the expected Prime Minister but put Shorten in Albos position a high ranking bloke in shadow cabinet and I don't think Shorten would retain Grayndler)

13. Smack

Smack First Grade

thoughts on Linda's point about time limits in off shore detention?

14. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

I don't think you can hold people without charge indefinitely

Just from a purely financial point of view it makes no sense

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

It will be a key outcome of Labor's national conference. If Bill can't keep the left under control, border control could well evolve back into a key election issue

If Turnbull is intelligent enough to call them on it, of course...

Smack likes this.
  16. cerberus

cerberus First Grade

Bill clearly isn't news limited's candid.
    Hence the incessant drone of the billboardarazzi

Pantherjim. and Lynoman like this.
  17. Smack

Smack First Grade

She is in my electorate too, really making a name for her self since she got elected. I think the left are taking a liking to her.

18. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

The Australian Democrats were killed off because they tried to out-left the Greens

The ALP would do well to remember that

19. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

What, so being in opposition as the “alternative Government” there’s no point in providing an alternative ideology and policy because “but....but... The left!” ?

cerberus likes this.
  20. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

Not at all PJ

My point is that Australia already has a party for left wing extremists. As the Democrats found out to their peril, we don't need another one