What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not the Pirates?

Misanthrope

Staff member
What about the Gold Coast Pintaras ??? or Gold Coast Camiras ????

With the obvious difference being that corsair as a word is far older than the car you're speaking of.

Bomber

Bench
Gold Coast Mantarays

But I still prefer the Pirates.....you scurvy son of a biscuit-eater

Bomber

Bench
If the Gold Coast wanted to set a date to announce their mascot will be the Pirates, I can think of no better day than September 19 - International Talk Like A Pirate Day.

http://www.yarr.org.uk/

How to be talkin' like a Pirate!
This advice be from a pirate by the alias of wunderhorn1, who be postin' his information here and kindly gave permission for us to be usin' it.

Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!"

Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'". Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".

Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be".

[Cap'n Tony adds that ye should use 'yarr' as a general cheer, as well as to start some o' yer sentences.]

[Several pirates also added that ye always be speakin' in the present tense - never the past or future!]

Pirate vocabulary:

Arrrrr: Much like the Hawaiian "aloha," it can mean hello, good-bye, etc.
Ahoy: Hey!
Avast: Stop!
Aye: Yes.
Fathom: depth measurement of six feet
Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
Grog: A pirate's favorite drink.
Jack: a flag or a sailor
Landlubber: "Land-lover," someone not used to life onboard a ship.
Lass: A woman.
League: three miles
List: lean to one side
Loaded to the Gunwales (pron. gunnels): drunk
Matey: A shipmate or a friend.
Me: My.
Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.
Son of a Biscuit Eater: a derogatory term indicating a bastard son of a sailor
Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
Squiffy: a buffoon
Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
Sweet trade: the career of piracy
Thar: The opposite of "here."
Yo-ho-ho: Pirate laughter

Arrrrr....

Sound advice. And we also be havin' these words submitted by cap'ns on the high seas:

Wi' a wannion:
Cap'n Crap Beard also be emailin' me to say that wi' a wannion be pirate-speak for with a curse, or with a vengeance.
Shiver me timbers!:
Cap'n Andy cannot be believin' that we be missin' out "Shiver me timbers!", which be an exclamation of surprise.

Cat o' nine tails:
Cap'n Tucker be noticin' that we not be havin' cat o' nine tails, the whip for floggin' mutineers, and land ho, which be yelled from the crows' nest when ye be sightin' land.
Lily-livered:
Cap'n Keelhaul be remindin' us of lily-livered, meanin' faint o' heart, and also...
Keelhaul: which be a truly vicious punishment where a sailor be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship - thanks to Shoeless Jess for the all-too-graphic description.

Booty:
Dirty Anne Flint say we be forgettin' booty (treasure) and 'avast, ye sea dogs!', which be loosely translated as 'hey! you lot!'
Davy Jones' Locker:
Cap'n Buckley reminded us o' the term Davy Jones' Locker for the bottom o' the sea.
Doubloons:
Cap'n Nightingale told us of doubloons, pieces of gold...
Hang 'em from the yardarm:
...and also of this hideous piratical punishment.
Pieces o' eight:
Cap'n Lurrie corrected an earlier entry - pieces o' eight, be meanin' pieces o' silver which can be cut into eights to be givin' small change.
Swabbies!:
- an' also o' this insult for other seamen.
Wench:
Burnin' Byron told us o' this term for a lady, although ye not be wantin' to use this around a lady who be stronger than ye.
Swashbucklin':
The Dread Red Ed emailed to remind us o' this term for fightin' and carousin' on the high seas!
Buccanneer:
- an 'also this term for a pirate who be answerin' to no man or blasted government.
Scurvy dog!:
About a dozen pirates be emailin' to remind me o' this fine insult!
Walk the plank:
Many cap'ns also reminded us o' this punishment...
Black spot:
an' also o' this - to be 'placin' the black spot' be markin' someone for death.
Jolly Roger:
an' also o' this name for the pirate flag.
Me hearty:
Many pirates be emailin' to tell us o' this term for a friend or shipmate.
Gentlemen o' fortune:
Cap'n Seagy emailed wi' this slightly more positive term for pirates!
Corsair:
A corsair be a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye! (thank ye, Cap'n Fuji, who also be sendin' the next 'un)
By the Powers!:
Cap'n Henry Somerset wrote in to tell us o' this piratey exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
Fiddlers Green:
Cap'n Innes emailed about this place, the private heaven where pirates be goin' when they die.
Gallows meat:
What a pirate'll be, if he be caught... (thank ye, Rose o' the Rampant Stag)
Swaggy:
A scurvy cur's ship what ye be intendin' to loot! (Bloody Jak Cur, thank ye for this an' the next)
Furner:
A ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an' plunder.
If ye be havin' examples o' pirate talk that not be here, you should be emailin' the web cap'n at the address below! But owin' to a flood o'email that I be gettin recently, I now only be addin' SHORT, PIRATICAL words, not merely nautical ones an' not bloody phrases!

(Also, be ye aware that savvy an' parlay be no more piratical than a scurvy KaZaA landlubber usin' dialup: they be invented by Disney for their film. The real pirates' code be here - be notin' that parlay not be in thar!)

Bomber

Bench
I was thinking last night about what was said in the very first post in this thread - along the lines of "We can't have the Pirates because it presents a bad image".

Well, what about these?

Cowboys - American Cowboys shoot indians. Australian Cowboys shoot road signs.
Broncos - Horses kill people every month
Knights - They kill dragons
Sea Eagles - Fly around and then pounce on unsuspecting and defenseless prey
Roosters - Cockfighting
Rabbitohs - Slaughters of rabbits and sell for profit
Dragons - They kill knights.
Tigers and Panthers - Predators
Bulldogs - Have been known to attack cats
Sharks - Nothing more to say
Raiders - In the same boat as the Pirates; rape and pillage
Storm - Can cause heartbreak and massive damage
Warriors - The word literally means 'people at war'
Eels - Slimy bottom-feeders; can electrocute

Every name in the NRL has a bad image!

DINGb@T

Juniors
What about the "Gold Coast Canecutters"?

Fairly local and would have some cool merchandise. Ever seen a cane machette? I grew up on a banana farm just south of Tweed where we used the things. They're pretty mean looking with the hooks on them. The examples below are a bit new (no self respecting farmer would be seen with one in that condition) but they give the idea. Also have the green cane farmers hat (small, soft brimmed bucket hat- before they were fashion items) which would look awesome if half the crowd were wearing them- not as good as the cowboy hat, or aggressive but still unique. Not to mention the old King Gees or Hard Yakka gear (all depends on who you get as sponsor I spose). That might be getting a bit too country but you could see it as a tribute to a dieing industry.

Reckon it would look awesome having a logo with a cane fire in the background with the silohette of a farmer with cane knife in hand for the foreground. Course you'd have to have a mean looking farmer but that can be managed.

As for the history of cane cutting they were once the best paid labourers in Australia with the hard work to prove it. Now days they use machines but back in the day they did it all by hand and, understandably, they were all tough as nails.
Might not be to everyones tastes but its local :)

PS You wouldnt be selling the knives as merchandise that's for sure. Not unless they were blow up things like the hands you get
1031_banner.jpg
Cane farmers caps were/are like this but they're green and usually stained with sap :)

Kingytek

Juniors
Bomber said:
I was thinking last night about what was said in the very first post in this thread - along the lines of "We can't have the Pirates because it presents a bad image".

Well, what about these?

Cowboys - American Cowboys shoot indians. Australian Cowboys shoot road signs.
Broncos - Horses kill people every month
Knights - They kill dragons
Sea Eagles - Fly around and then pounce on unsuspecting and defenseless prey
Roosters - Cockfighting
Rabbitohs - Slaughters of rabbits and sell for profit
Dragons - They kill knights.
Tigers and Panthers - Predators
Bulldogs - Have been known to attack cats
Sharks - Nothing more to say
Raiders - In the same boat as the Pirates; rape and pillage
Storm - Can cause heartbreak and massive damage
Warriors - The word literally means 'people at war'
Eels - Slimy bottom-feeders; can electrocute

Every name in the NRL has a bad image!

And roosters wake people up, thats pretty annoying......

macavity

Referee
What about the "Gold Coast Canecutters"?

bit long, but I get where you are coming from; it could work. some good imagery there.

am I the only one that thinks they just gotta adopt red, yellow, black and white as their colours?

Works well for Bradford and offers alot of opportunities.

The orange and aqua only works with a sea animal, and looks pretty gay regardless.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Oh come on...

What about the Raiders? Raping and pillaging is all the Vikings did, no offence to Vikings reading this. I wish people would stop over analysing things.

Nothing will be more important than public opinion and with that the Pirates are #1.

As a person of strong Viking decent, i take offence to this!

:shock:

But seriously, thats a stupid excuse not to use pirates. Personally i think its a gay name, but that excuse is just poor!

Coaster

Bench
The colours represent thhe colours of the Gold Coast

The name be it :
Pirates, Griffons, Suns, Dingos, Canecutters, or Cattledogs
It will be reflected in the Coast, it will be Adopted by the Coast, and it will be a shining light on Australia just like the Gold Coast.

Bring it on
The Gold Coast has evolved
and the NRL are about to feel it

Latest posts