What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Canard

Immortal
There must be a reason the industry and media focus is on metro rather than consolidated but can't figure it myself? The nrl tv ratings would be screwed without the nsw regional viewers, thank god for country nsw and us not having to rely on Sydney!

Why do you specifically state NSW? Is there some data your using that I'm not across.

I would think regional QLD would make up a huge chunk of those figures given that unlike most states more than 50% of the population resides outside the capital city.

T-Boon

Coach
According to talking footy (I googled it), NRL pissed on the AFL from a great height. The huge difference being the QLD/NSW regional market which is essentially as big as a capital city on its own.

That is good.

But I see that regional isn't included in the AFL numbers. I know there isn't much regional in SA and WA but there is a bit in Vic (Geelong etc) which would build their number up a bit. Is Wollongong considered regional for these purposes? I know Newcastle is.

With the NRL ratings equal to or better than the AFL we should get the same amount of $ or more. The only problem is their games go a lot longer on TV (we could address this by stopping the clock when ball is out of play and adding quarter time breaks - adding an extra 20 odd minutes to coverage). The other thing is the free to air networks consider the ad opportunities after their many goals to be highly valuable. We could better that by changing conversions a bit to be similar to the NFL points after touchdown where it is contested and you can go for another touch down. This would take slightly longer than a conversion, justify more ads and be way more likely to be watched than a simple conversion attempt.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
There must be a reason the industry and media focus is on metro rather than consolidated but can't figure it myself? The nrl tv ratings would be screwed without the nsw regional viewers, thank god for country nsw and us not having to rely on Sydney!

I guess it could be interesting to keep an eye on who buys ad space during NRL games.

I guess Bunnings, Macca's, KFC etc. There are as many Bunnings, Maccas and KFCs in regional NSW as there are in Metro.

applesauce

Bench

Metro Sydney, Brisbane(+Gold Coast) has more desposible income and consumerism than regional areas?

Population density and demographics probably also has something to do with it.

Billythekid

First Grade
Metro Sydney, Brisbane(+Gold Coast) has more desposible income and consumerism than regional areas?

Population density and demographics probably also has something to do with it.

There is no question that this is the reason. When you start including places like Wollongong and Newcastle as rural though I'm not sure that logic really applies.

Newcastle is a growing population quickly approaching 500K with a high population density. It's surrounded by other growing populations (the hunter is on its way towards 1 million people in 2030-2040). It doesn't make sense for an area like this not to be counted as metro.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

Probably dates back to NBN / WIN / PRIME days when all regional stations were independently owned.. so didn't really matter to the Metro advertising sales teams..

It is an antiquated model..

Panfas

Juniors
http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...nine-its-the-end-of-the-party-20170216-guemu5
For Seven, Ten and Nine: it's the end of the party
by Neil Chenoweth
• Updated Feb 17 2017 at 8:31 AM

On Thursday Ten Network chief executive Paul Anderson spelt out what everyone else in television already knew – that the party, that long splendid display of hubris, excess and good times that has marked the industry for decades, is over.

Seven West Media chief executive Tim Worner made the same point the day before, though he didn't actually put it like that. What's really telling is that he tried to say the reverse.

How is television advertising? It's looking a little stronger for 2017, Worner told analysts, and Seven shares promptly got a kicking, down 9 per cent at one point.

Stronger ads? Not so much, Ten said in a guidance update on Thursday: "The advertising market remained extremely short in terms of forward bookings". Yet despite signalling a dreadful result for the half, its shares closed just 3¢ down.

Of course this is television, so while the three networks say what they must for analysts and fund managers, their most powerful messages are to each other.

Musical chairs
The falling television advertising market now resembles a game of musical chairs, and when Mr Marks releases Nine's results for the first half next Thursday, this round he'll be the one left standing without a chair.

Seven's half-year report cites KPMG Free TV figures that metropolitan TV advertising was down 4.5 per cent year on year for the December half. SMI data shows that fall continuing in January, down 4 per cent.

Whatever else is happening in television, this is the critical figure. If the size of the total pie is falling, the nature of the industry changes.

Despite all this, Seven said it saw "growth in February and March for the first time since 2014" and "the market beginning to trade longer".

Deutschebank, Macquarie, UBS and Credit Suisse analysts appeared to treat this like a press comment by Kellyanne Conway.
To be fair, Seven's television income in the December half was up $36 million, or 5.4 per cent, though that was with the Olympics, but television costs were up $78.4 million, or 16.4 per cent.

Read between the lines
When an industry is in decline – as it is when television advertising continues to fall – the focus switches to cutting costs and stealing market share ... which probably explains Ten's curious guidance update on Thursday.

At its annual meeting in December, Ten's Anderson said first-quarter revenue was up 1.9 per cent, with costs up "middle single digits". That suggests half-year revenue up $4 million and costs up about $16 million, which would cut EBITDA by about $12 million.
Thursday's update said that half-year sales would be up 1.2 per cent, and EBITDA would be down $10 million to $15 million, and into the red. That's pretty much smack on line with the previous guidance. It's a terrible result, but why the update?

As damage control after Seven's mauling, it was useful to confirm to the market that the damage at Ten was no worse than previously noted. Ten shares opened at 90.5¢ and dipped to 82¢ before recovering to 87.5¢.

It also underlined the key point that Ten had not lost market share. If television advertising was down 4.5 per cent overall, and Seven revenue was up $36 million, where did that increase come from? They hadn't taken those sales from Ten.

It was a little message to Hugh Marks. Seven's gain must have come at Nine's expense. A spokeswoman declined to comment but pointed to remarks at the annual meeting that Nine always knew the Olympics would affect revenue.

It's a Pyhrric victory for Seven. For decades the networks have bid up sporting rights to outlandish levels, sure in the knowledge that rising ad revenues will cover them. Now it's a new industry, and that boat might not float.

Panfas

Juniors
It is also really easy to get around the AFR paywall. When the page loads, select all (ctrl-a) and copy, then paste into MS Word or whatever you use.

Your welcome ;)

colly

Juniors
Thanks Panfas
Here is a new one
http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-to-170-million-20170421-gvpyve.html#comments
It looks bad for ten, shame as i had a idea to sell a expansion game ( as if ) The proposal would be two new teams (Pacific and PNG) where they play MOST home games, this is possible due to currency/economy these two teams, they could be fully funded for $5 million.

Sell it too TEN for $ 7 million per year/35 million 5 years. Plus with having a October/November world cup every year in Australia/NZ, again anther sell (I think Seven brought this year for 5/6 Million) anther $35 million.

Paullyboy

Coach
I was listening to the Triple M NRL radio show that came on at 6pm last night. I was just getting out of the car, so didn't hear it all, but they quoted the Brisbane Lions TV figures and the numbers were unbelievably poor despite being aired on two free-to-air channels.

Does anyone know where to find those figures? I thought it'd be quite enjoyable reading.

colly

Juniors
Why were my 2 posts deleted!?
Well yesterday i quoted a The Australia story. It was about Ch 10 and sport rights. Seems their fully valued.
Maybe because i used the the story writer name the MoD got pesky about copyright. Who knows?
The next post i made used the term , like homosexual as in Australian Football league, you guess (GFL) I thought it might be about being more inclusive because both posts got shitcanned.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well yesterday i quoted a The Australia story. It was about Ch 10 and sport rights. Seems their fully valued.
Maybe because i used the the story writer name the MoD got pesky about copyright. Who knows?
The next post i made used the term , like homosexual as in Australian Football league, you guess (GFL) I thought it might be about being more inclusive because both posts got shitcanned.
http://leagueunlimited.com/forum-rules

Sourcing Material, Copyright and Allegations
It is important that members provide a source to back up any claims. Any posted material without a source (URL or published reference) may be removed. By 'material' we mean any text or image which is posted by members in the forums. The removal of any such material is totally at the discretion of the site owners, Admin and Mods of LeagueUnlimited.

Sourcing Material
Sourcing material means providing due credit to the ORIGINAL source. If that source has an URL (website) link, then the URL must be included. If no URL is available, then the published reference must be included in the post. Please note that while the member posting the published source is entirely responsible for its validity, the Admin and Mods of LeagueUnlimited may remove any post or source reference at their discretion.

IMPORTANT: Sourcing material with an URL link does not mean putting in a link to a third party website. That is, websites, blogs or forums where the original material has been copied from the original publication. In particular, Wikipedia is open sourced and can be edited by readers, and is therefore not considered a reliable source.

In addition, members are restricted from using another publisher's material for the purpose of advertising their own website or publication. (see Advertising)

Copyright
Where applicable, all material remains the property of the original author and/or publisher. Should the original owner of the material require the removal of their material from the forums, please contact the site owners by email forums@leagueunlimited.com