What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes they do, except Kangaroos have pulled out of any test matches next year lol. Way to grow the game on the back of WC momentum Greenberg! Couldn't believe when they said Saturdays game was the first time NZ has played on home soil for three years! Then when we wonder why Int RL struggles to get attention!!

I didnt know either of that. Shit...

I reckon the problem is that players get most of their paycheck from club football and the ARLC gets most of its income from their too.

Id presonally like to see the ARLC expanded further to take in NZRL and the other Pacific/Asian nations (Australasian/OceanicRLC). That would place them as hosts of international games (as is the case with Origin) rather than one half of the participants. Then, the focus would shift from "Australia needs all the best players" to "we need the most exciting contest".

Basically, it would mean the ARLC could offer equal match payments whether a guy turns up for the Roos or Tonga/Samoa/Whoever (as happens whether you turn up for NSW or QLD).

Further on this, the ARLC should put a holt on the club salary cap (or even lower it if they can) and put all future pay-rises into rep payments. Players would be crawling over each other to get into these teams and, in one stroke, the ARLC would have taken a big slice of power away from the club bosses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the nrl should let the players decide if they want to earn $40k a game for representing their country! I'm pretty sure if they'd asked them if 17 of them would like to earn $120k playing an ashes series next year they wouldn't have had problems putting a team out!

I didnt know either of that. Shit...

I reckon the problem is that players get most of their paycheck from club football and the ARLC gets most of its income from their too.

Id presonally like to see the ARLC expanded further to take in NZRL and the other Pacific/Asian nations (Australasian/OceanicRLC). That would place them as hosts of international games (as is the case with Origin) rather than one half of the participants. Then, the focus would shift from "Australia needs all the best players" to "we need the most exciting contest".

Basically, it would mean the ARLC could offer equal match payments whether a guy turns up for the Roos or Tonga/Samoa/Whoever (as happens whether you turn up for NSW or QLD).

Further on this, the ARLC should put a holt on the club salary cap (or even lower it if they can) and put all future pay-rises into rep payments. Players would be crawling over each other to get into these teams and, in one stroke, the ARLC would have taken a big slice of power away from the club bosses.

You will find that the ARLC are the ones who do ensure that those who play for NZ do get the same match fee as those who play for Australia. IIRC, Steve Mascord brought it up in an article a few weeks back.

As to your suggestion, mate the club football brings in the $. If the commission tried to do what you suggested, the clubs would vote the Commissioners out or split from them all together. It's a nice sentiment but unrealistic that it would happen. On that score you'd probably find the NRL clubs and NRL players on the same page.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/98d1d516356bddf2ab3a74b4b9b038ea

RATINGS DIVE A WORRY

ALL Aussie footy codes are experiencing tough television ratings times.

A-League figures were down 18 per cent on the previous year. In the NRL, Fox Sports is slightly up but Channel 9 is down eight per cent. It’s a bigger struggle in the AFL, with ratings down about 12 per cent.

The Super Rugby on Fox Sports is doing best of all … up about three per cent.

The most positive #nrltalkupthegame story is the incredible support from rugby union-mad New Zealand for the Warriors.

Ratings on Sky TV for Warriors matches are up by an incredible 22 per cent.

AJB1102

First Grade
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/98d1d516356bddf2ab3a74b4b9b038ea

RATINGS DIVE A WORRY

ALL Aussie footy codes are experiencing tough television ratings times.

A-League figures were down 18 per cent on the previous year. In the NRL, Fox Sports is slightly up but Channel 9 is down eight per cent. It’s a bigger struggle in the AFL, with ratings down about 12 per cent.

The Super Rugby on Fox Sports is doing best of all … up about three per cent.

The most positive #nrltalkupthegame story is the incredible support from rugby union-mad New Zealand for the Warriors.

Ratings on Sky TV for Warriors matches are up by an incredible 22 per cent.

So half a dozen merkins accidentally tuned into the Union long enough to count in the ratings.

NZ isn't "rugby union-mad" they just like a winning team - easy when the All Blacks flog the Wannabes for fun. Warriors play good and they're the top ticket. LETS GONE WARRIORS!

King Ben

Juniors
At the halfway mark of the season, the NRL is set to eclipse the AFL as the most watched football code on TV in 2018. If current trends continue, the NRL will have a higher premiership season audience than the AFL for the first time since 2011.

The Oztam ratings relate only to club games in both codes and, with State of Origin matches always represented in the top five most watched programs on TV, rugby league is headed for a historic season.

The cumulative live audience for NRL games in Australia has been 43.0 million for the first 11 Rounds, compared to 43.3m last year. The AFL’s cumulative live audience is 36.9m for its first 9 rounds, compared to 42.9m last year.

The average free-to-air Audience for the NRL is 612,689 in 2018, compared to 317,003 for the AFL. The AFL will say that it has cross-over timeslots and doesn’t go free to air with the same games nationally, but the raw numbers show that NRL is dominant.

The average subscription TV audience (Foxtel) for the NRL is 244,853 in 2018, compared to 180,387 for the AFL.

https://outline.com/gFfkqv

But I thought it was all doom and gloom!!

Screen-Shot-2016-12-21-at-10.51.38-PM-300x189.png

RoosTah

Juniors

T-Boon

Coach
I maintain that if TV $ is everything now and nobody cares about crowds then we should maximise the game for TV.
Make the game go longer, have better stoppages for TV ad opportunities, have one game every night rather than predominantly on weekends which was always about crowd attendance etc.

I maintain that if TV $ is everything now and nobody cares about crowds then we should maximise the game for TV.
Make the game go longer, have better stoppages for TV ad opportunities, have one game every night rather than predominantly on weekends which was always about crowd attendance etc.
The only thing you maintain is your idiocy .

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL TV ratings are going well. I hope the trend of the AFL struggling continues. I hate that sport.
Regards,
T-Boon

T-Boon

Coach
what are the predictions for tonight. I am tipping biggest ever SoO TV. It is going to be good to see origin without Smith, Slater, Cronk, Gallen, Pearce etc.

Billythekid

First Grade
what are the predictions for tonight. I am tipping biggest ever SoO TV. It is going to be good to see origin without Smith, Slater, Cronk, Gallen, Pearce etc.

I don't see anything particular about this year that will see any records set. It'll be inline with previous years. Probably depends if the match is close or a blowout.

QLD ratings will be interesting. Will they still tune in with similar numbers despite losing all their stars?

Also will Melbourne get a boost in ratings from the match being played there?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see anything particular about this year that will see any records set. It'll be inline with previous years. Probably depends if the match is close or a blowout.

QLD ratings will be interesting. Will they still tune in with similar numbers despite losing all their stars?

Also will Melbourne get a boost in ratings from the match being played there?

Yes, yes and hopefully more nsw than usual now they actually have a chance of not being humiliated again