What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL admit f/pass error V Panthers

GongPanther

Referee
NRL referees boss Tony Archer has admitted the match officials should have denied the Roosters their match-winning try against the Panthers on Saturday night.

"From the vision you can see that the touch judge is in good position to rule on the pass," Archer said.

"After reviewing all the available angles and slowing the play up, I have determined that the pass is forward.

"It's my expectation that the referees should have ruled that way."

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2017/03/19/nrl_admits_referee_e.html

Well...what can one say? I'd rather leave it up to the neutrals who had money on the Panthers with their pick the winners/margins tickets.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Jeff Younis also got a call wrong earlier in the game when Anthony Toupou was standing on the touchline & recieved a pass & there was no call from him.
I'd think we'd like these calls to be made & they be correct , they aren't always & never will be.

I still think the Raiders were dudded by another incorrect call going the other way in rnd 1

we seek perfection.
we'll never achieve it though.

maple_69

Bench
I'm not super broken up about this call. It's early in the year, we are nowhere near in full flight yet but took the Roosters all the way only to lose on an incorrect call or three.

The comments from Archer shit me though. Yeah just confirming my boys lost you 2 premiership points. No apologies to the club, talk about what they're going to try and do to address the situation. It's about 3 weeks in a row a forward pass howler non call from the touchie has directly decided a game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players make mistake, coaches make mistakes, refs make mistakes. Or would you rather every play was scrutinised by video ref prior to the next play of the ball?

When a coach comes out and says, player x cost us the game due to his error, then refs can cop equal flak.

RWB

Bench
I think the pass was forward and I think it's good that Tony Archer has come out and been transparent with his opinion on it.

The only issue I have is why he seems to pick and choose the calls he wishes to come out publicly on. If he's going to offer commentary on calls in a game then there needs to be consistent commentary for every game across every round.

GongPanther

Referee
The shame thing about it is it detracts away to what was an adsorbing contest.I will be watching again.

Will be watching the refs with interest throughout the rest of the season if they actually dud the Roosters out of a match.

Probably depend on the market.

GongPanther

Referee
I think the pass was forward and I think it's good that Tony Archer has come out and been transparent with his opinion on it.

The only issue I have is why he seems to pick and choose the calls he wishes to come out publicly on. If he's going to offer commentary on calls in a game then there needs to be consistent commentary for every game across every round.

My overall beef with the video review is they look for every other ruling that can award or take away a try.

Why is it so when they don't rule on a forward pass,even when in general play,most rulings on forward passes are clear cut?

A forward pass is an actual rule of the game.They should implement it in the video ruling a try ASAP.

simmo05

Bench
I am neutral for this game, it was borderline and could have gone either way in my opinion. The tigers got pulled up for similar last week. You can live with those. The ones that really annoy me are the blatant, 1m forward ala broncos round 1 that they dont pull up, and the 400 dummy half passes every game that are forward

simmo05

Bench
I'm not super broken up about this call. It's early in the year, we are nowhere near in full flight yet but took the Roosters all the way only to lose on an incorrect call or three.

The comments from Archer shit me though. Yeah just confirming my boys lost you 2 premiership points. No apologies to the club, talk about what they're going to try and do to address the situation. It's about 3 weeks in a row a forward pass howler non call from the touchie has directly decided a game.
Why doesn't he wait til the end of the round, still a couple of games left and they are bound to bugger something up

Knight76

Juniors
I'm with RWB.

This decision was singled out because it was a match deciding decision. In the Knights V Titans game there was that hundred pass try that the media are touting as a potential try of the season. In that was a blatant forward pass with the player standing still, and flopping the ball out forward.

The linesman was in a good position, didn't make the call.

Why single out this one call?

I'd rather them not comment, and deal with it in house. There are plenty of other things that lead to games being lost than one or two bad ref calls.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
This year it seems that a lot of forward passes have been missed or let go.
There will be another half a dozen of these bad calls before the seasons done, one in the finals possibly. More video refs, bunker f**k ups etc.
I really long for the days before video replays became intergrated into our game to this point.
Refs on field make the call during the game. That's it. Everyone else deals with any fallout after the game once it's been scrutinised.
Just keep the game going.

davi

Juniors
The pass was forward, but it wasn't as shockingly forward as the one the Broncos scored against the Cowboys.

I think the posters on here who have argued for video ref to rule on forward pass have said only for the shockingly forward passes, but not the ones that go a fraction forward.

I still wouldn't support bringing the video ref in to decide on a forward pass.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I feel like ours vs the Cowboys has to be one of the worst in history.

However, they should start apologising for tries that are disallowed which actually weren't forward.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I can cop that it was forward

What I resent is people saying Penrith were robbed

A forward pass wasnt the reason they lost. They lost because the Roosters created an overlap - if the pass was backwards, we've have the e act same result.

And even if you take away the try, Roosters would still be 2 - 1 for tries.

Vic Mackey

Referee

A forward pass wasnt the reason they lost. They lost because the Roosters created an overlap - if the pass was backwards, we've have the e act same result.

Or if their fullback attacked the grubber instead of laying out the red carpet for Gordan the forward pass wouldn't have mattered.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I feel like ours vs the Cowboys has to be one of the worst in history.
Yep. Did Archer come out and state that they got it wrong there?

If not his selective nature is very curious indeed.

Personally I think it's very irresponsible for Archer to come out and pick and choose which calls he wants to say that the refs got wrong.

Puts pressure on the refs during Roosters matches.

Meanwhile, Penrith fans: build a bridge and take a long walk to get over it.

TheFrog

Coach

The winner of a game of Rugby League is the side that scores the most points, not the team that scores most tries. The lords of the game have had 110 years to change it, but they have not yet done so.

Meanwhile, Penrith fans: build a bridge and take a long walk to get over it.
Says the bloke who started a 50+ page thread on how unfair the draw was.