What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL admit f/pass error V Panthers

Valheru

Coach
Look to be a marginal pass at best to Rapana during that 3rd Raiders try. I wonder what Tony thinks?

RWB

Bench
Anyway I can't think of a club who would hold a grudge against a touch judge, its not like people will be whinging about this still 7 year down the track just move on. It will all be forgotten about next week.

What did you say his name was? Younis?

562ee252e7f6f1c0da01ed80ce40edc0

Cockosh

Juniors
So by coming out to make a judgement on a clear forward pass Archer is contradicting the policy that bunker can't rule on forward passes as technology is insufficient. The either can or they can't. Why come out in this particular instance given there have been far worse instances.

thorson1987

Coach
Anyway I can't think of a club who would hold a grudge against a touch judge, its not like people will be whinging about this still 7 year down the track just move on. It will all be forgotten about next week.

What did you say his name was? Younis?

562ee252e7f6f1c0da01ed80ce40edc0

How blind is the merkin????

17409802_10155871061239428_1032078344_n.png

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Archer needs to also admit that George Burgess should have been sent off and Josh Starling should never have been penalised in front of the posts

But he won't because that wasn't a prime time game so he doesn't care

Valheru

Coach
A blatant forward pass out of dummy half by the sharks. I look forward to tony's opinion.

TheFrog

Coach
I still remember Martin Weekes in the 1991 Grand Final, and we won.

This Year?

Immortal
I think the pass was forward and I think it's good that Tony Archer has come out and been transparent with his opinion on it.

The only issue I have is why he seems to pick and choose the calls he wishes to come out publicly on. If he's going to offer commentary on calls in a game then there needs to be consistent commentary for every game across every round.

This. I think the only ways refs will improve is with public reviews. Everything else that has been tried so far hasn't worked.

Danish

Referee
Tony archer is a f**kwit, and is directly responsible with trying to ruin rugby league.

His statement is all the more geniused as the NRL explicitly states that you cannot reliably judge passes going forward based on video due to the inconsistency of angles. If he had even half a brain in his head he would word his statement as something like:

"I believe the pass went forward from my viewing, but given videos are not reliable for such judgements I will back the decision of the referees and touch judges on the field"

If he can absolutely decide the pass went forward, then there is no treason why video refs shouldn't be allowed to rule on all passes in the lead up to a try

adamkungl

Immortal
Everyone: You can't rule on forward passes on video
Everyone 10 mins later: We wuz robbed! Clearly forward, just look at the video!

adamkungl

Immortal
On principle though, the referees boss publicly correcting referee mistakes or oversights is a disaster and is typical of Archer's regime.

So they got it wrong and publicly admit it. What now? Do Penrith get 2 points? Nope. Just a bunch of pissed off fans being handed justification by the NRL to bag the NRL more.

The refs word should be the final say on the matter, rightly or wrongly. Leave the sooking to players coaches and fans.

age.s

First Grade
I'd be fine with blatant forward passes being ruled on by the video ref (we know them when we see them) but there's no way the bunker would be able to stop themselves from ruling on the marginal ones.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hmm everyone knew the pass was forward, Rorters still won nothing to see here.

Pretty much. What do they achieve by commenting on it aside from fuelling the fire?
Fans don't need extra excuses to bag blind refs and touchies.

Danish

Referee
I'd be fine with blatant forward passes being ruled on by the video ref (we know them when we see them) but there's no way the bunker would be able to stop themselves from ruling on the marginal ones.

What constitutes "blatant"?

The pass was at worst 50cm forward if at all. Personally I think it certainly floated forward but that doesn't matter. I would hardly say it was a "blatant" toward pass.

fact is things look much more "blatant" when they are happening against your side, as plenty of calls look to me against the roosters.

I'd much rather see the referees boss chastising one of his team for not sending someone for a deliberate elbow than have him making a line ball forward pass the key discussion point of the weekend. I mean FFS that pass ruling wasn't even close to the worst ruling in that single game (not calling Toops out was far worse)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Haven't read most of the discussion but I have seen a couple of people suggest this was "match deciding".

If it happened inside the final minute with no recourse for the Panthers - fine.

It happened with what, five to go? Penrith didn't score to get back in front - their fault.