What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL admit f/pass error V Panthers

Das Gupta

Juniors
It was a forward pass mistakes happen.
Roosters fans blowing up nothing to see here are hypocrites.
If the shoe was on the other foot and Penrith scored the winning try from a forward pass under the watch of Ben Cummins they would be demanding the result be overturn and the ref sacked.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I really don't understand the point of Archer doing this.

What determination can he make that the video ref could not have made after reviewing the footage?

Watch for the one week crackdown on forward passes where half the passes called up aren't even forward.
The footage review came several hours after the match had finished. Do you want to sit there in the crowd or watch on TV while the NRL takes 20-30 minutes or an hour trying to establish if a pass was forward?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The only way would be to make a forward pass like a knock on. None of this floated forward, blown by the wind, taken forward by momentum shite. If a pass lands closer to the opposition deadball line to where it was thrown, it is forward. Then you could rule on it by video. But it won't happen.
You could do this. It would be totally geniused to do so, but you could do it

bileduct

Coach
The footage review came several hours after the match had finished. Do you want to sit there in the crowd or watch on TV while the NRL takes 20-30 minutes or an hour trying to establish if a pass was forward?
Is this a serious question?

betcats

Referee
It was a forward pass mistakes happen.
Roosters fans blowing up nothing to see here are hypocrites.
If the shoe was on the other foot and Penrith scored the winning try from a forward pass under the watch of Ben Cummins they would be demanding the result be overturn and the ref sacked.

Yeah its a bit rich for fans who were convinced the refs or the nrl had it in for them(while they were winning a premierships and minor premierships no less) to have a go at another clubs fans for blowing up about a shit call. Penrith didn't play to their potential so I don't blame the call for the loss but f**k me it was blatant forward pass that led to the match winning try within the final 5 or 6 minutes, of course fans are blowing up.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not blaming Panthers fans at all. The pass was likely forward. The refereeing is a joke.

I have concerns about the process where the referees boss publicly reviews decisions though, whether it involves Roosters games or not.

betcats

Referee
I'm not blaming Panthers fans at all. The pass was likely forward. The refereeing is a joke.

I have concerns about the process where the referees boss publicly reviews decisions though, whether it involves Roosters games or not.

I wasn't referring to yourself, and I agree Archer coming out and confirming it was an incorrect call is pointless, it doesn't make anything better that is for sure.

no name

Coach
The refs/officials need a Bellamy type coach to absolutely tear them a new one when they f**k up.
Do it privately, but do it.
The refs/officials should be more scared of the ref coach than the players or the media.
They need an air of arrogance about them rather than bumbling their way through games, asking for help with the most basic of decisions regarding tries.

thorson1987

Coach
The refs/officials need a Bellamy type coach to absolutely tear them a new one when they f**k up.
The refs/officials should be more scared of the ref coach than the players or the media.
They need an air of arrogance about them rather than bumbling their way through games, asking for help with the most basic of decisions regarding tries.

This.

Also need to be worried about being dropped for consistent poor performances.

TheDMC

Bench
This year it seems that a lot of forward passes have been missed or let go.
There will be another half a dozen of these bad calls before the seasons done, one in the finals possibly. More video refs, bunker f**k ups etc.
I really long for the days before video replays became intergrated into our game to this point.
Refs on field make the call during the game. That's it. Everyone else deals with any fallout after the game once it's been scrutinised.
Just keep the game going.

It happens every year. The touch judges and main refs are quite simply pretty hopeless in judging forward passes.

Cockosh

Juniors
Yeah its a bit rich for fans who were convinced the refs or the nrl had it in for them(while they were winning a premierships and minor premierships no less) to have a go at another clubs fans for blowing up about a shit call. Penrith didn't play to their potential so I don't blame the call for the loss but f**k me it was blatant forward pass that led to the match winning try within the final 5 or 6 minutes, of course fans are blowing up.
As a chooks fan I would be filthy if that call was against us and understand panthers fans doing so. In saying that I'm enjoying thir meltdown given they were happy to give it to us over rub of the green they go in their semi win against us not so long ago.
I still don't get Archer commenting on that specific error when there so many other rule breaches missed on both sides. Rules are rules.

POPEYE

Coach
This . . . and they need to stop searching for reasons to stop a game.

I'm sure most of us wouldn't pick on them if they let things that didn't matter slide . . . would we?

Danish

Referee

do you actually think it took archer 20-30 minutes of watching and analysis to make his decision? Or more likely do you think he just watched the replay a few times and decided in his own head that it looked forward?

If you actually think he completed some sort of half hour analysis, what exactly do you think he was doing in that time? Complex physics calculations?

As an aside, does anyone know where they actually post Archer's reviews on the NRL website? Nothing listed under the video section

Danish

Referee
The NRL put out a video last Monday showing a Roosters try to Boyd Cordner which should have been disallowed.

It's shit but you don't see the Bulldogs blowing up about it - it was a shit call, it was admitted, we still lost, we move on.

Hang on a tick.... the NRL actually tried to claim that this try:

should not have been allowed???

do you have a link to this explanation of theirs?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
do you actually think it took archer 20-30 minutes of watching and analysis to make his decision? Or more likely do you think he just watched the replay a few times and decided in his own head that it looked forward?

If you actually think he completed some sort of half hour analysis, what exactly do you think he was doing in that time? Complex physics calculations?

As an aside, does anyone know where they actually post Archer's reviews on the NRL website? Nothing listed under the video section
Pedantry aside, my point is that deciding on a forward pass on video isn't an instant decision and don't think fans are willing to wait for elongated decisions - which is precisely one of the reasons the Bunker was instituted.

As for reviews - the NRLBunker twitter posts each decision usually within a few minutes on it's account, while those "further reviews" you hear about are normally posted on the NRL's twitter account.
Hang on a tick.... the NRL actually tried to claim that this try:

should not have been allowed???

do you have a link to this explanation of theirs?
That's the match highlights, not the NRL "trying to claim it's a try".

Here is what they released on Monday of last week:

ed-grimley

Bench
I think the pass was forward and I think it's good that Tony Archer has come out and been transparent with his opinion on it.

The only issue I have is why he seems to pick and choose the calls he wishes to come out publicly on. If he's going to offer commentary on calls in a game then there needs to be consistent commentary for every game across every round.
And supporters should call out ALL ref errors and not just the ones that effect their own team.
You get good calls and bad calls - just hope you don't get a bad one in a GF.
This Panther guy is being a bit precious about his team.

Latest posts