What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...til-2014-or-2015/story-e6frg7mf-1226077345558

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Brent Read
June 18, 2011 12:00AM

A MEETING next month between the NRL and its clubs is expected to sound the death-knell for expansion plans in 2013.

The Weekend Australian understands the NRL is working on a series of proposals for future season scheduling, television negotiations and representative football, which it will take to the clubs at the meeting on July 21.

It is believed those proposals centre around a 16-team competition for 2013, with the prospect of expansion in 2014 or 2015. Although the final decision will be made by the independent commission, the game's inaugural eight commissioners are expected to be guided to a large extent by the NRL and its clubs.

It means expansion is likely to be off the table in 2013 as officials look to use the new television money to reward and stabilise their existing clubs. That will come as a setback to the consortiums jostling to enter the competition.

At least seven bidders have already come forward _ Perth, Central Coast, Central Queensland, Wellington, Papua New Guinea and two from southeast Queensland. One of those southeast Queensland consortiums is a western corridor bid, based in Ipswich but taking in Toowoomba.

Bid team consultant Brian Canavan said the western corridor consortium was aiming for 2013 but would be better-placed if the timeline was pushed back.

"In 2014 we would be fully geared to go," Canavan said.

"In 2015, it just makes it easier. We have finalised all our documents, strategic planning, business planning and football planning. We're talking to sponsors right now."

Plans for expansion haven't been helped by the ongoing delays in the formation of the commission. Expansion is inexorably linked with the game's next broadcasting deal, which has been on hold during negotiations over the commission.

Red Bear

Referee
Not surprising, it's dragged on too long with the fart-arsing around over th IC.

Not great news tho

BunniesMan

Immortal
Every year the tv contract goes without a 9th game is money lost down the drain. This is a direct result of the cripple fight that has been going on between the stakeholders. If the IC was up a year ago like it should have been we'd have a 9th game from day 1 of the contract.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The NRL were going to look at expansion in 2013, it wasn't a given that expansion was going to happen. Pushing this investigation ofthe merits of expansion back a year enables bids to consolidate and will seperate the contenders from the pretenders.

Billythekid

First Grade
"It means expansion is likely to be off the table in 2013 as officials look to use the new television money to reward and stabilise their existing clubs. That will come as a setback to the consortiums jostling to enter the competition."

Well without the extra game and the added value of the new teams we are going to get a whole lot less money.

El Diablo

Post Whore
"It means expansion is likely to be off the table in 2013 as officials look to use the new television money to reward and stabilise their existing clubs. That will come as a setback to the consortiums jostling to enter the competition."

Well without the extra game and the added value of the new teams we are going to get a whole lot less money.

not necassarily

the networks aren't keen to show games where someone is guaranteed a flogging ala the GC in AFL

remember most of the AFL's money came from pay TV as they think they can get ore subsribers in Vic, SA and WA under the new deal

FTA didn't pay more than they did last time and that's with two new teams

Goddo

Bench
I think this is a very reasonable decision, and something I was expecting. They have hinted before that it might not happen, and the commission has been delayed to the point where there is not enough time to make a decission on expansion and get the teams ready by 2013.

There are huge preasures on the game at the moment, there is a big need to get the commission up and running, negotiate a TV deal, improve pay and conditions for players, get the current clubs financially stable, better fund junior rugby league...

Expect a below billion dollar TV deal now

Why?

NRL still rates its pants off, and if its a 5 year TV deal there will be 9 games for 4 of those years. AND we have Origin and Internationals.

If anything, $1b should be the minimum winning bid.

Having 1177 games (15 origins, 5 all stars, 40 finals, 5 grand finals, 24*8+24*9*4 regular season matches (assuming expansion in 2014), and 5 ANZAC tests 21 Four Nations (3 series), 30? World Cup matches)

rather than 1201 games (15 origins, 5 all stars, 40 finals, 5 grand finals, 24*9*5 regular season matches, and 5 ANZAC tests 21 Four Nations (3 series), 30? World Cup matches)

to sell over 5 years makes little difference, especially when you concider its the lowest valued games out of the total (regular season). Its not like we are getting rid of State or Origin.

Only possible down side is not having the market presence in Perth, and fewer Qld games to sell with the advent of the Anti-siphoning changes comming into effect in 2013.

EDIT:

I forgot to add 5 World Club Challenges, 5 city vs country's, the Pacific Cup, Charity Shield, trials, and of course the entire English Super League.

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
Fair call if the game isn't ready for new teams no point expanding too early. Need a team in Perth and another team in QLD and possible relocation of the SHarks or Rabbits.

flame away

applesauce

Bench
AFL is looking more and more attractive.

I am sick of our sports infighting and bullshit. One jaded fan....

DC_fan

Coach
Would not surprise me if they put off expansion for a season or two. It would give them a chance to get the new make up of the Independent Commision settled.

When it does come time to look at expansion I hope, and to be honest expect, that they will look at the makeup of the competition. For me changes need to be made. An 18 team competition would be too many teams. I just don't believe we have the playing strength to cover that many teams. Sydney presently has too many teams playing out of it with nine. To add the Central Coast without cutting one of the present Sydney teams would just add to over crowded playing field. In my opinion Sydney should have no more then 5 teams.

What ever the NRL does over the next five years they have to get it right. For me the long term future of the game depends on it.

DC_fan

Coach

I can see where they are coming from.

I don't see how a team playing out of the Central Coast would add value to a TV comtract. Its not like people in that area are not already watching the game on TV. If people in that area are not watching the game on TV at the moment then I don't expect that to change much even if they had their own team to follow.

You could probably say the samething about Brisbane.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I can see where they are coming from.

I don't see how a team playing out of the Central Coast would add value to a TV comtract. Its not like people in that area are not already watching the game on TV. If people in that area are not watching the game on TV at the moment then I don't expect that to change much even if they had their own team to follow.

You could probably say the samething about Brisbane.

the positive for Bribane would be a network having another option for FNF apart from the Broncos

would also help pay TV as the Broncos aren't a high rater when they are on seeing a lot of their fans don't need to subscribe to see their team play every week

Latest posts