What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

firechild

First Grade
How are Manly bankrupt? The owners put money in each year to ensure they do not become bankrupt, the same that happens with any business. Owners take money when there are profits but have to put money in when there is a loss.

No worries, no dramas. We'll keep marching forward. 7600 members, abundance of sponsors and heaps fans. Can't deter us, no matter how hard some try.

ManlyMania

Juniors
The CC will never get in. The NRL have made noises about Perth and Brisbane and dont think another NSW team is necessary.

firechild

First Grade
No worries, no dramas. We'll keep marching forward. 7600 members, abundance of sponsors and heaps fans. Can't deter us, no matter how hard some try.

Nothing wrong with optimism and those 7600 members should be applauded for their committment but you have to wonder how long will those members stay members of a non-existant club? Do they have to renew their membership or does the membership simply last until the team becomes a reality?

cb4

First Grade
There memberships wouldn't be worth $100 either.

Probably maybe $50 max.

firechild

First Grade
Is that $20 per year? If so it seems like a lot but if not, there is no way to judge when the interest is lost. I guess that works in their favour. "Hey, we have 12,000 members, 7,000 of them signed up 5+ years ago and have since moved away from the area but they still count."

BuffaloRules

Coach
Is that $20 per year? If so it seems like a lot but if not, there is no way to judge when the interest is lost. I guess that works in their favour. "Hey, we have 12,000 members, 7,000 of them signed up 5+ years ago and have since moved away from the area but they still count."

I'm not sure if you even have to pay the $20 bucks each year ...

Im sure one of the CC cheersquad will confirm shortly...

firechild

First Grade
Don't worry, they also have a go at rival supporters for being merkins at games (or on the way home).

rednblack

Juniors

Yep, starting at $20 per year. I pay $40 for the next level up.

And no, it's not a lot to support your team, to hope that one day you might see them grace the premier stage once again. If you lost your team, are you seriously suggesting that you wouldn't support their re-entry into to competition? I don't get jack squat in return, but I don't pay my membership fee so I can get a crappy sticker. I pay because I WANT to support the CC bears in their bid for inclusion in the NRL. I also pay to be a north sydney member, and go to NSW cup games when I can. Is that too hard to believe?

Our member numbers are strong, and that is nothing more than a very clear signal that support for the Bears is strong also.

If it's such a bad thing to support one's club, then lock me up now, 'cos I ain't gonna stop supporting them now or in the future.

firechild

First Grade
Yep, starting at $20 per year. I pay $40 for the next level up.

And no, it's not a lot to support your team, to hope that one day you might see them grace the premier stage once again. If you lost your team, are you seriously suggesting that you wouldn't support their re-entry into to competition? I don't get jack squat in return, but I don't pay my membership fee so I can get a crappy sticker. I pay because I WANT to support the CC bears in their bid for inclusion in the NRL. I also pay to be a north sydney member, and go to NSW cup games when I can. Is that too hard to believe?

Our member numbers are strong, and that is nothing more than a very clear signal that support for the Bears is strong also.

If it's such a bad thing to support one's club, then lock me up now, 'cos I ain't gonna stop supporting them now or in the future.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure how it worked.

Nothing at all wrong with supporting your club. But I just wonder how many of those members are going to keep paying if the announcement is made that 2 teams will be admitted in 2014 or 2015 and the Bears are not one of them. There might be another 2 teams by 2020 or 2025 but will people keep forking out cash for a team that may never eventuate? I know there are some (like you I'm guessing) who will pay their membership no matter how long it takes but no doubt the majority would eventually say, enough is enough after forking out a few hundred dollars for their family's memberships with nothing to show for it.

cb4

First Grade
Not being a smart arse, out of those 7600 members, how many will transfer over to TICKETED memberships if the Bears get in.

rednblack

Juniors
Not being a smart arse, out of those 7600 members, how many will transfer over to TICKETED memberships if the Bears get in.

Tbh, I don't personally know. I'd say most, if not all of those who reside on the central coast though. I don't actually know the percentage of CC residents, as opposed from Sydney or elsewhere. Remember though, these are the people who are paying for NO RETURN, in the hope that they'll see their club again. If their team gets back in, I would hazard the guess that they'd want to actually go and see them play as well!! One would also expect that for ticketed memberships, there would be even more people interested (ie, when they receive a tangible benefit or return on their cash, they will be happier making the outlay).

I don't know of the current figures, but a few years ago there were some 7000-odd Mariners ticket holders. A lot of those only became supporters in the first place because it was the ONLY option to see professional live sport in the region (on a regular basis of course). I personally know dozens of residents who would take up membership of a bears team (some at the expense of their mariners season tickets, some in addition to). Not all of these people are currently members of the CC Bears.

More than your team. Many of the old Bears fans are waiting for the green light so they can buy season memberships. Estimates are at around 13,000 - 17,000 for the first season. Starve the area enough and it's guaranteed that we'll get that many too.

People can make fun of our memberships or drives all they want, for a non-existent team we do more for the community and supporters then many current teams do. Our support stretches generations and it'll continue to be like that.

cb4

First Grade
Tbh, I don't personally know. I'd say most, if not all of those who reside on the central coast though. I don't actually know the percentage of CC residents, as opposed from Sydney or elsewhere. Remember though, these are the people who are paying for NO RETURN, in the hope that they'll see their club again. If their team gets back in, I would hazard the guess that they'd want to actually go and see them play as well!! One would also expect that for ticketed memberships, there would be even more people interested (ie, when they receive a tangible benefit or return on their cash, they will be happier making the outlay).

I don't know of the current figures, but a few years ago there were some 7000-odd Mariners ticket holders. A lot of those only became supporters in the first place because it was the ONLY option to see professional live sport in the region (on a regular basis of course). I personally know dozens of residents who would take up membership of a bears team (some at the expense of their mariners season tickets, some in addition to). Not all of these people are currently members of the CC Bears.

Cheers for the thought out response.

More than your team. Many of the old Bears fans are waiting for the green light so they can buy season memberships. Estimates are at around 13,000 - 17,000 for the first season. Starve the area enough and it's guaranteed that we'll get that many too.

People can make fun of our memberships or drives all they want, for a non-existent team we do more for the community and supporters then many current teams do. Our support stretches generations and it'll continue to be like that.

Your tears make me happy.

NSW Cup being the highlight of your rugby league life amuses me so much.

Your tears make me happy.

NSW Cup being the highlight of your rugby league life amuses me so much.

No tears, which must mean you aren't very happy. My rugby league highlight is helping towards bringing in a foundation team on the beautiful Central Coast. Which should be similar to your highlight which would be helping to keep your own team afloat through these rough times....

I wasn't trying to be funny either with the "more than your team" comment. I'm not bashing the Sharks but besides a few diehards on here, it's not like you have much to cheer about in regards to your own fortunes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
no problem waiting till 2015 but any longer and A) itdevalues the next TV deal and B) all the momentum, corporate backing, fan support etc that the bid teams have developed will evaporate and we will have to start again.

My hope is that they make a decison next year so that the winners can be planning and the losers can give it up and not continue to be led down the garden path.

If we are one of the chosen two then I'd also like to see the IC get serious about funding RL development in WA so we can aggresively move into schools, run a NSW cup team and really get our grass roots RL happening.

Last edited: