What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Clubs against NZ v ENG Mid Season Tests - "Player Welfare"

Springs09

Juniors
Probably. Just like the Sydney stadiums deal, Pacific Cup test matches and tournaments,a proper European cup, world 9’s, NY super league team, nrl expansion, Fiji nsw Cup team and any other good idea which furthers rugby league as a sport.

Nah hutch, we have to look after our own first.

How can we support Tonga with their sold-out games and legitimately competitive side when Thurston and Smith aren't even getting $2m a year yet.

hutch

First Grade
Nah hutch, we have to look after our own first.

How can we support Tonga with their sold-out games and legitimately competitive side when Thurston and Smith aren't even getting $2m a year yet.

How can Melbourne and the cowboys possibly play world club challenge games when there are testimonials to be played to boost the dollars for their two captains?

Springs09

Juniors
The thing that shits me most is when players then come out and complain that Union they want to jump ship to Union because they have all of the good international games and the RL WC just isnt as valued.

Its like talking to f*cking children about what they want to eat. MAKE UP YA F*CKING MIND!!!!!

All the players seem to want to play more internationals though, except for the top Australian players but now even Smith has said we should shorten the club season for it.

It's the NRL and ESL, and the clubs, that don't want it.

adamkungl

Immortal

Mascord has responded very quickly with a solid rant. Absolutely NAILS it

http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/2017/...barrassed-to-be-associated-with-rugby-league/

WELCOME to rugby league, the sport that doesn’t let players go overseas for internationals.
I was once asked, publicly, by colleague Martin Sadler if I was embarrassed to be associated with rugby league sometimes.
The answer is unequivocable: very frequently.
And I feel ashamed once again after the response from some clubs to the opportunity being presented to the sport on the stand-alone Origin weekend next year – for England to play New Zealand in Denver.

There are so many aspects of this that make it completely outrageous and humiliating, that we could do anything but fall over ourselves to help the promoter, Jason Moore.
Top of these, however, is: there are no club games that weekend! We are so backward, selfish and amateurish that we’ll let players represent other countries as long as they do so … in Australia!
If you have any pretence of being an international sport (didn’t we just hold a World Cup?) then your players MUST be available to go anywhere in the world on a Monday morning to play the following weekend.

Look at what the soccer players do! They fly to South America, play an international and are – in some cases – back playing in Europe a couple of days later.
If our workforce is unable to do this, then we are giving a free hit to those who are. Don’t give me this argument about it being a tougher sport – the wider sports marketplace doesn’t care.
If we can’t at least do what our major competitors can do, why are we bothering? Why did we have a World Cup?

The World Cup in North America in 2021 is the single biggest opportunity for rugby league since 1895. Yet we can’t even organise a match there in 2019 because of concerns parochial Australian fears about the big bad world out there.
The NFL can play games in Sydney and London but our pissweak little competition is too inward-looking to take the same risks in reverse.

Here are some more arguments: this is NOT an exhibition match. England and New Zealand last week undertook to play on the stand-alone Origin weekend as long as there is one; it makes sense given Australia are out of play and they are the next two strongest countries.
How on earth can clubs dictate where internationals are played on an international weekend? When they have no games…. You have an international weekend but then you insist all the games are at Campbelltown. Really?

Are we forgetting England travelled to Sydney last year, played Samoa and went home the next day, despite the fact they DID have club games on the same weekend?
The sad thing is that the clubs are probably just using this to force the issue of salary cap concessions for players injured during rep games. If the NRL agrees – hey presto, the Denver game gets the green light.

My understanding is that the RLPA were talked around on this. When I wrote about a looming battle over fixtures such as these, South Sydney general manager of football Shane Richardson protested that the clubs were “not the bad guys” and just wanted to be told what was going on.
They’ve been told what’s going on. They are looking to block a sanctioned international in the most important sports market on earth, in circumstances that are no more demanding than other international sports and which one of the teams involved underwent only 12 months ago.

I have personally suggested to Jason Moore he replace New Zealand with Tonga in this match and then dare the clubs to stop Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo going to the airport.
Rugby league started with rebellion. In order to realise its potential, it’s going to need plenty more of them.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Yet clubs have never had a problem releasing origin players for 6 weeks in the middle of the season since forever.
I'd go as far as not watching Origin anymore to keep the ratings down. When we treat Origin as the pinnacle that shows the true colours of rugby league! :mad:
Best column he has ever written. Absolute hot flames being thrown at the NRL clubs.
Next I would start throwing flaming rocks and boulders at them. If the NRL can't see beyond Australia then they might as well be like the AFL and not bother play internationals at all. The worse that could possibly happen is we lose the 2025 RLWC if they can't even get high profile matches over there. Where to next in 2025? back to Australia and the Pacific Islands?

Springs09

Juniors
I'd go as far as not watching Origin anymore to keep the ratings down. When we treat Origin as the pinnacle that shows the true colours of rugby league! :mad:

Next I would start throwing flaming rocks and boulders at them. If the NRL can't see beyond Australia then they might as well be like the AFL and not bother play internationals at all. The worse that could possibly happen is we lose the 2025 RLWC if they can't even get high profile matches over there. Where to next in 2025? back to Australia and the Pacific Islands?

USA and Canada are already in for hosting 2025.

Burns

First Grade
Has been a huuuuge reaction to the Mascord piece on Twitter. Mainly UK based journalists and even Jamie Peacock speaking out in support.

Australian journos very quiet.

Robert B

Juniors
Broncos and England coach Wayne Bennett on how rugby league could be sold to America

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail

December 16, 2017 4:30pm

WAYNE Bennett has outlined his plan for rugby league to boom in Donald Trump’s America as the Broncos and England coach turned up the heat on the code’s bosses to grow the sport in the US.

Three decades after being part of State of Origin’s exhibition game in Los Angeles, Bennett is keen to sell the sport to Trump and 323 million Americans by returning to the US next year with the England team.

The England and New Zealand rugby leagues are currently in negotiations to stage a Test match next June in Denver in the first step towards promoting the sport ahead of the 2025 World Cup in the US and Canada.

Bennett’s contract with England expired a fortnight ago following a World Cup that represented a shot in the arm for the British game after the Poms narrowly lost 6-0 to Australia in the final at Suncorp Stadium.

Speaking exclusively with The Sunday Mail, Bennett revealed he wants to extend his tenure with the England team – but only if international league bosses support his dream for the code to take off in the States.

“We have to find ways to grow the game. We need to take rugby league to America,” Bennett said.

“The international bosses need to deliver on some stuff in relation to fixtures and the calendar and then I’ll look to commit to England.

“I’m sick of the game wasting opportunities to grow the game. We can’t do it with the game being played in the NRL, New Zealand and the north of England. That won’t give us a better game in 30 years.

“The rugby league World Cup in America is seven years away. They had the soccer World Cup in America 20 years ago and now look at how soccer has taken off in the US.

“Now it’s time for us to get over to America and make our statement.”

After a superb World Cup, the international game threatens to stagnate next year.

Under the current schedule, the Big Three of Australia, New Zealand and England won’t play again until next October.

Bennett hopes to change that with a mid-season Test between the Poms and Kiwis on the weekend of June 22-24, which coincides with the NRL’s representative weekend and State of Origin II.

The Test is slated for Mile High Stadium, home of the NFL’s Denver Broncos. It would be rugby league’s most significant contest on American soil since 2004, when Australia, then coached by Bennett, beat the USA Tomahawks 36-24 at Franklin Field in Philadelphia.

Bennett was also Queensland coach when Origin was played in California in 1987 and says he is stunned rugby league hasn’t found its niche in the North American market.

“We have never bought into America in the way rugby league should have,” he said.

“America is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Their people love the physicality of gridiron – there is so much scope for rugby league to succeed over there.

“I’m passionate about international rugby league and one of my ambitions is for rugby league to take off in America.

“I’d love to be part of going to Denver but I don’t want to waste my time if we aren’t serious about growing the game.

“The Pacific Nations like Tonga and Fiji have been incredible in recent years, but England and New Zealand won’t get closer to Australia if we’re playing one or two games a year.

“It (the Denver Test) would be played during the week of Origin so it can be done.

“America has more than 300 million people so there is a massive market for us to tap into. Hopefully, I might even meet Donald Trump while I’m there.”

deluded pom?

Coach
The NRL clubs are whinging about "their players'" welfare yet don't realise that growing the sport overseas would alleviate the burden of player supply that they currently suffer. It would take decades for NA to be producing the necessary quantity and quality of player but it has to start somewhere. It's as if they have the power to do something about it but revel in being the victim. IMO England should play NZ in Denver. Select both squads, including NRL players and see what the reaction is. If the clubs block the players from representing their country then at least we know where we stand regarding international football and it will save me many thousands of dollars.

Stallion

First Grade
The NRL clubs are whinging about "their players'" welfare yet don't realise that growing the sport overseas would alleviate the burden of player supply that they currently suffer. It would take decades for NA to be producing the necessary quantity and quality of player but it has to start somewhere. It's as if they have the power to do something about it but revel in being the victim. IMO England should play NZ in Denver. Select both squads, including NRL players and see what the reaction is. If the clubs block the players from representing their country then at least we know where we stand regarding international football and it will save me many thousands of dollars.

A few years ago the RL officialdom were advised by a well respected leading professor (I know this professor) from University of West Sydney to change their stance toward international rugby league and genuinely support international RL in a proactive way. This was met with a puzzled silence by the people attending at this frank assessment of where rugby league sits in the Australian and world sporting landscape. Looks like these administrators are ignoring this advice at the games peril!

deluded pom?

Coach
A few years ago the RL officialdom were advised by a well respected leading professor (I know this professor) from University of West Sydney to change their stance toward international rugby league and genuinely support international RL in a proactive way. This was met with a puzzled silence by the people attending at this frank assessment of where rugby league sits in the Australian and world sporting landscape. Looks like these administrators are ignoring this advice at the games peril!

The history of RL is littered with missed opportunities. I just hope the future doesn't go the same way.

Latest posts