What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[NRL.com] How Good Is: Semi Radradra

Forty20

First Grade
How Good Is: Semi Radradra

By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent
NRL.com
2:00pm Mon 19th January, 2015

How good is Semi Radradra? You mean, other than his gorgeous Abe Lincoln?

Fine. If you think rugby league and a bit of man-grooming goes down like a lead balloon, then let us quantify this in terms you can understand.

What made 2014 so special?

For starters, no winger played more games across the regular season than this fourth-year pro in the last calendar year – and by fourth-year, we mean the amount of time he's spent learning the 13-man game.

Having made his first-grade debut in July last year and then going on to help Fiji to the semi-finals of the World Cup, Radradra backed it up by joining Corey Norman as the only Eels to appear in every single game this season.

Secondly, in just his second year in the NRL, the flying Fijian ran away with 19 tries after 26 rounds – pipped only by ubiquitous teammate Jarryd Hayne and more than established wingmen Brett Morris, Manu Vatuvei and Alex Johnston.

Add in his five meat pies in seven games from the previous year, and that's 24 in 33 games. In fact, inside the raucous confines of Pirtek Stadium, the 22-year-old is a perfect 12 tries in 12 games, rivalling the home strike rate of Brookvale prince Brett Stewart.

Thirdly, his 82 tackle breaks – many of them instantly electrifying the long-suffering Parramatta faithful out of their seats and onto their feet – was trumped only by the untouchable Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and the untackle-able Josh Mansour last season.

Fourthly, and this probably the statistic that will stump you the most, his six try saves was second only to Titans speedster David Mead among NRL wingers. Throw in his 15 line breaks, 15 offloads and 131 metres per game and, put simply, this semi-trailer was one of the league's best road-runners in 2014.

How can he be better in 2015?

Considering that four years ago he was a kava farmer in his Fijian village of Somosomo, the ceiling for this 190 centimetre, 98 kilogram rampant machine is higher than Sydney's five-floor shopping centre.

And given his stat line against any of the supermen that dwell on any of the 16 NRL flanks in this competition, he isn't too far away from reaching it.

But, as any coach worth their clipboard will tell you, there are always areas for improvement.

For example, Radradra's decision-making in defence could do with a decent rinse. A total of 26 missed tackles – fourth behind Sisa Waqa, Vatuvei and Mansour in the wingers category – would have the defensive-orientated Brad Arthur steaming up an already heated coaching box.

His hands could do with a bit of a scrub too. A total of 23 times – again, only Waqa and Mansour accounted for more – Radradra's giant mits failed him during his second season in the NRL.

Which new signing will have the greatest influence on him?

He's not so much a signing as he is a new face on those sweeping plays. Radradra was a major beneficiary of many a long ball from Parramatta's runaway marksman Jarryd Hayne, but with the job now in the hands of Will Hopoate, it will be interesting to see what kind of service the left flankman will get next season.

Clicky

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
We always remember what good work Semi does with scoring tries but I don't think his ability to work it out of our half gets enough recognition.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Can we now say Semi is one of the best wingers in the game?

I reckon he is now "origin class", he is a freak.

Considering how many games he has missed this year, he is now top 5 on the try scoring list.

And it's not just his trying scoring ability, he is defending great and making plenty of metres. And setting up tries.

Wants to get involved.

He was great again last night

Last edited:

Joely01

Bench
The play of the game was how he set up his own try.

Gets tackled and offloads the ball to taka, instead of laying down and watching the play. He shrugs out of it gets up and sprints up field to get the ball back and score.

That was a great play!

Chipmunk

Coach
Can we now say Semi is one of the best wingers in the game?

I reckon he is now "origin class", he is a freak.

Considering how many games he has missed this year, he is now top 5 on the try scoring list.

And it's not just his trying scoring ability, he is defending great and making plenty of metres. And setting up tries.

Wants to get involved.

He was great again last night

I too think Semi had a pretty good game and has the potential to be anything.

Although he is improving all the time, you need to be mindful he is still pretty raw.

Also, if he didn't drop the ball on zero tackle on the 20 metre tap I dare say the Cowboys would not have got the momentum they had and probably don't win the game.

Gronk

Staff member
I too think Semi had a pretty good game and has the potential to be anything.

Although he is improving all the time, you need to be mindful he is still pretty raw.

Also, if he didn't drop the ball on zero tackle on the 20 metre tap I dare say the Cowboys would not have got the momentum they had and probably don't win the game.

I thought the law was the defender can't have his hand on the ball in the ruck. Seems that there are plenty if strips that get called a loose carry of late.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Gets tackled and offloads the ball to taka, instead of laying down and watching the play. He shrugs out of it gets up and sprints up field to get the ball back and score.

That was a great play!
That was a great play, it's just a shame some of his team mates see be allergic from the 1% plays.

Gronk

Staff member
That was a great play, it's just a shame some of his team mates see be allergic from the 1% plays.

Was there actually an Eels player that did not play exceptional in the first 40/50/60 ? I though they were all great.

Credit where credit due ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Was there actually an Eels player that did not play exceptional in the first 40/50/60 ? I though they were all great.

Gee it's a shame RL goes for 80mins :eek:

And Pauli and Álvaro did absolutely nothing that first 60mins :x

Gronk

Staff member
Gee it's a shame RL goes for 80mins :eek:

And Pauli and Álvaro did absolutely nothing that first 60mins :x

No credit then for an almost flawless 1st half against such a form team ? Can't even bring yourself to admit that they played really well for 60 mins ? Nothing ?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I absolutely love watching Semi play, and I've considered him the best winger for the past 18 months.

whall15

Coach
I am glad that we have geniuses like TheRam and Jodeci to tell me that he's terrible because of the level of melanin in his skin.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
No credit then for an almost flawless 1st half against such a form team ? Can't even bring yourself to admit that they played really well for 60 mins ? Nothing ?
I even said in the game thread that they played great the first half, but all the positives were washed away by 11mins of shit.

You don't get the two points for playing good for a half, and you don't make the finals for going close in games and losing. By rights we should be sitting in the 8 right now but instead we are second last. What ifs don't matter it the result after 80mins and we lost.......... Again.

Bigfella

Coach

I'm all for credit where credit is due.

Semi was giant. Take was brilliant in attack and much more creative than I had credited him.

Peats, Paolo, Norman were definitely outstanding.

But mate - Ryan Morgan was not even adequate, let alone "great".

Pauli and Álvaro certainly weren't.

And watch the defence again. From 20 -30 minutes into the game we honestly didn't give a f**k about our defensive pattern.

The right hand side was either staggered, or curved. It was like we had a team of rugby players defending for the first time.

That was a great play!

If Slater or GI had made a second effort like Semi did to score on that play, the commentators would have blown a load that big, they'd still be cleaning it up now.

I'll go so far to say that I don't think you'll see a better second effort in 2015 by anyone.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
A freak another two tries. Think he is now equal third on try scoring list yet he missed 6 games.

Latest posts