What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL.com says we had the easiest draw of 2017

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
No.

Because we were completely robbed against Roosters and Cowboys, not to mention dudded against Brisbane...in both games.

Yes, our draw 'turned out to be' *favourable* but we still had to beat teams that other sides looking to play finals simply couldn't.

If people were to say we didn't deserve to play finals because of this than they are completely idiotic.

betcats

Referee
Like someone said in the other thread if we get a tough draw next year we will be bottom four. Shit if we had the 3rd or 4th easiest draw instead of 1st this season we would've of missed the 8.

betcats

Referee
No.

Because we were completely robbed against Roosters and Cowboys, not to mention dudded against Brisbane...in both games.

Yes, our draw 'turned out to be' *favourable* but we still had to beat teams that other sides looking to play finals simply couldn't.

If people were to say we didn't deserve to play finals because of this than they are completely idiotic.

Constantly blaiming the refs is such a losers attitude. You are delusional if you are not taking the toughness of our competition into account when judging our performance.

Fangs

Coach
It was the easiest draw prior to the season starting.

And at seasons end, its still the easiest draw.

Shouldn't be any arguing about it really. We have to wear it.

But for those who disagree, find solace in the fact that this has been the softest competition of the century. So most teams ended up with soft draws as the standard of play has been regrettably soft.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Constantly blaiming the refs is such a losers attitude. You are delusional if you are not taking the toughness of our competition into account when judging our performance.
You did not read what I said.

The question was "does it change your mind on if we underperformed or not?"I said no because I already knew we underperformed.I already knew of the favourable state of our draw.I tipped us to win the comp and unfortunately we didn't.In a poll about grading this season?Gave it a fail.Not pass or borderline pass.Fail.

We didn't play as well as we should have this year.I've said this.Whether it would be this forum, Reddit or where ever else.I have said this.

I have also said, in your words, "constantly blaming the refs" is something I do because I feel I'm unable to add to the discussion about Griffin and etc as the majority have perfectly summed up for me.Here's one of however many posts I have made stating this.

"P.S before someone says I'm saying this to purely take away from all of the negative talk about Griffin and co, my feelings and views have already been posted repeatedly by the majority of people on this forum and there's nothing I can say that expands and adds to the topic.However this is a significant issue that isn't talked about as much and I feel I can still contribute in posts like this whilst still not being ousted as someone that's making up excuses to cover up the team's flaws.The referees have been consistently dog shit in our matches this season.Fact."

All the way back in early July.Now I'm not going to act like you are stupid and naive to have missed this post(it's one post in however many ref bashing posts lol).However I do feel it's enough to cast what you are saying as complete nonsense.Because what you are saying is giving off the vibe that I love Griffin and his current set up and that he's the greatest coach of all time, and that I'm completely oblivious to shit aspects of our play.Our attack against Storm, Cronulla and etc was dog shit.I've already taken this into account.But that's been talked about a lot, there's nothing else I can say.Now about the referees...there's definitely a lot I can add there.

So to conclude.No, the article did not change my opinion.I seen how we played against Cronulla and Storm and I don't need a flimsy, flawed formula to tell me we underperformed.Me saying it didn't doesn't mean I thought we went above and beyond expectations, and that I didn't take toughness of competition into judgement previously.Also referee posts are fine if they are justified.If you feel they are losers stuff then prove what I say as wrong then, or just mute me.

I apologise if I 'mislead you' with what I originally said but I don't apologise for the posts on officiating.

Last edited:

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Another thing though, we're judging draw toughness based on quality of teams which is based on the ladder, which is affected by the draw.

Don't take this as me trying to devalue arguments against the set up of the team.Just me adding greater clarity to the formula used.

(Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to wake up to 100 posts about how I'm Griffin's secret son and how I'm trying to defend him lol).

Have a great night everybody! :)

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
We had the easiest draw and only just scraped into the finals. Anyone arguing a favorable draw isnt a huge reason we made it is veing naive.

2 from 11 against the 9 teams in with a finals chance in around 26.
11 from 13 against the teams who werent finals contenders

Thats what happens when you have an incredibly talented roster that isnt coached. You can beat the shit teams on players brilliance. But come against good teams who are coached... and you end up losing nearly all of them.

TheFrog

Coach
As I've said before, 16 for Storm, 15 for Roosters and 1 for Knights is not necessarily an accurate measure of win likelihood. It's just pulling numbers out of your arse really. I'd prefer games won. Maybe we still had the easiest draw by that measure, I can't be bothered working it out.

We had the easiest draw and only just scraped into the finals. Anyone arguing a favorable draw isnt a huge reason we made it is veing naive.

Perhaps, but what's the point having an aneurism over it? What does it really matter except to those who enjoy downgrading the club's achievements? If we've had the easiest draw the past 2 years we won't next year you wouldn't think. It'll be seen to.

What does surprise me is that the NRL on its site quantifies the unfairness of the draw which is completely under its control. Rather than tell us after the event what a lopsided draw it was, they should do something about it.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Only Mel and Penrith had the longest winning streaks of 9 and 7 matches respectively.IMO,that is much harder than an easy draw.

Docker EBay

Juniors
Another thing though, we're judging draw toughness based on quality of teams which is based on the ladder, which is affected by the draw.

Don't take this as me trying to devalue arguments against the set up of the team.Just me adding greater clarity to the formula used.

(Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to wake up to 100 posts about how I'm Griffin's secret son and how I'm trying to defend him lol).

Have a great night everybody! :)

This is true Ladies
Maybe coach is to blame
or not enough go forward
or bad defense in the centres
or not enough fat arses

BxTom

Bench
This is true Ladies
Maybe coach is to blame
or not enough go forward
or bad defense in the centres
or not enough fat arses
Or the teams playing the Storm and Broncos etc whilst they are decimated at Origin time get an easy time of it too..

A lot more variables to blame.

Tom.

franklin2323

Immortal
It was the easiest draw prior to the season starting.

And at seasons end, its still the easiest draw.

Shouldn't be any arguing about it really. We have to wear it.

But for those who disagree, find solace in the fact that this has been the softest competition of the century. So most teams ended up with soft draws as the standard of play has been regrettably soft.

Absolute BS we had a tricky draw pre season turned easy

Canberra made the PF. Bulldogs made the finals. NZ were tipped by many to be Top 4 with the NZ spine. We had them all 2 times.

We played every team away except for GC. Again not making the draw easy

Fangs

Coach
Will give you the Raiders. But no one really thought the Dogs were going to be a threat this year. And NZ were not universally tipped for the top 4 and rightly so. They were terrible again this year.

And as I mentioned before, the draw was soft for just about everyone. The 2017 NRL competition will be forgotten very quickly by most. 1 stand out team and 15 others well off the pace.

Could argue about this for days. Though I think the majority of the rugby league community will agree that Penrith had a soft draw in 2017.

Time to move on.

franklin2323

Immortal
Will give you the Raiders. But no one really thought the Dogs were going to be a threat this year. And NZ were not universally tipped for the top 4 and rightly so. They were terrible again this year.

And as I mentioned before, the draw was soft for just about everyone. The 2017 NRL competition will be forgotten very quickly by most. 1 stand out team and 15 others well off the pace.

Could argue about this for days. Though I think the majority of the rugby league community will agree that Penrith had a soft draw in 2017.

Time to move on.

I think Parra and Dragons were easier but ours was up there. It just annoys me no one mentioned the easiest draw before mid season really

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I think Parra and Dragons were easier but ours was up there. It just annoys me no one mentioned the easiest draw before mid season really

Because up until mid season, we were making a meal of games against decent opposition. Hard to say it was an easy draw when we were making every team look like world-beaters. It's no coincidence that our run coincided with getting to play a string of also-rans.

betcats

Referee
People are kidding themselves not wanting to accept that the draw played a huge part in us making the 8. 2 soft draws in two yeaars for Griffin, he is blessed.

Latest posts