What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL confirms referee re-structure

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://leagueunlimited.com/news/31235-nrl-confirm-officiating-restructure/

NRL confirms referee re-structure
NRL Media Release | 14 December 2017

The NRL has confirmed a new officiating structure following a review of refereeing across the game.

The new NRL officiating structure includes the elite level as well as development and pathways for referees nationally.

The revised structure will include:

the appointment of Bernard Sutton to the new role of Senior Manager - Officiating;
the appointment of Premiership-winning NRL Coach Michael Maguire as High Performance Coach - Officiating and Leadership Consultant;
Robert Finch taking the role of Senior Manager - Education, Development and Pathways;
Tony Archer's General Manager - Officiating role now covering the national structure rather than just the elite group.
As part of the new structure, Sutton will assume the day-to-day running of the elite referees group and the NRL Bunker while Maguire's role is to bring a football perspective across officiating programs and processes.

Maguire's role will also include developing a high-performance team and implementing performance programs.

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said Maguire would provide a new perspective to the officiating structure.
"Michael is a Premiership-winner with South Sydney and Wigan and through his time as a coach he has had a strong focus on leadership," Canavan said.

"He has experience helping corporates with leadership and high performance culture across two countries.

"He has also been a respected and valued member of the NRL Competition Committee for several years, where his knowledge and insight have been able to shape the forward progress of the game.

"As part of this role, he will be part of relevant committees in the NRL football department. Michael will also provide strategic consultancy to the broader organisation working with the NRL CEO, Head of People and Culture and Head of Football."

Canavan said Sutton had been a valued member of the officiating department in recent years and deserved the opportunity to take on this new role.
"He will lead the officials on a day-to-day basis and will also focus on the technical aspect of officiating," Canavan said.

Sutton said he was pleased to be given the opportunity to take on the new role.

"We have an outstanding group of officials and I'm looking forward to working with them all in this capacity through 2018 and beyond," Sutton said.

An appointments panel, led by Sutton, is in the process of being put together, to determine the appointment of match officials each week.

Canavan said the new structure was designed to improve officiating and pathways nationally.

"This is a different structure for the officiating group to what we have ever had before," Canavan said.

"Tony Archer's role will focus on the national programs, integrating education, development, recruitment, retention and high performance programs.

"I think he is ideally placed to develop the national structure."

Sutton, Maguire and Archer will begin their new roles immediately.

POPEYE

Coach
With luck of some kind we'll see 3 whistle blowers on the field, maybe even give the linesmen a whistle each, all conferring before any decisions are made . . . that'll stop player burnout

mave

Coach
With luck of some kind we'll see 3 whistle blowers on the field, maybe even give the linesmen a whistle each, all conferring before any decisions are made . . . that'll stop player burnout

Maybe we could entice Bill Belichick over here for a few pointers about your new game.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Watching replays of the games from the 90's the referee's today are just as good or on par with them. The issue today lies in the fact commentators over analyse every little indiscretion with a thousand replays and non stop coverage of every decision for the next week.

It's been quite refreshing watching those games from the 90's where Vautin and Sterling would voice their concern at a decision but acknowledge that the refeere had to make the call and move on.

Someguy

First Grade
Watching replays of the games from the 90's the referee's today are just as good or on par with them. The issue today lies in the fact commentators over analyse every little indiscretion with a thousand replays and non stop coverage of every decision for the next week.

It's been quite refreshing watching those games from the 90's where Vautin and Sterling would voice their concern at a decision but acknowledge that the refeere had to make the call and move on.

Today's commentators also misinterpret rules and claim the ref go it wrong, or complain that they don't like a rule and feel the indiscretion should be let go. Sometimes I feel that they genuinely have no idea rest of the time it seems to be part of some bias or agenda

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think commentators often forget (or don't care) about their role - no harm in having an opinion but sometimes they go way beyond the pale. Whether it's through ignorance or bias it often forms the basis for public discourse about a particular decision.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think commentators often forget (or don't care) about their role - no harm in having an opinion but sometimes they go way beyond the pale. Whether it's through ignorance or bias it often forms the basis for public discourse about a particular decision.

I really think most of the current pessimism in the game comes from 9s coverage...

NewsLtd talk trash, but their shit is meant to be exciting and salacious.

9s coverage just makes you want to cut your wrists......

thorson1987

Coach

I think alot of the gripes come with the video ref/bunker making the f**kups.

POPEYE

Coach
So Archer and Sutton still involved, yet they seem to be the main ones that are the problem.
RL management is about who you know, only way to keep themselves more relevant than the players . . . who have no option other than train properly

M2D2

Bench
Leg ups for the club that pulled the rug out for under him and sacked him?

More likely to favour their enemy.
Also a bit amusing coming from a roosters fan.

I still remember the game the fox commentators went off in a roosters bunnies game. Even though the ref got ever decision right as far as the laws of the game goes. I still cant take Warren Smith seriously after that game.

OVP

Coach
Also a bit amusing coming from a roosters fan.

I still remember the game the fox commentators went off in a roosters bunnies game. Even though the ref got ever decision right as far as the laws of the game goes. I still cant take Warren Smith seriously after that game.

How do you know he's a Roosters fan ? Btown, Bankstown ... yeah thats Roosters territory. Never seen him in the Roosters forum either.

Quit your bullshit and lol@souffs.

EDIT: Just realised you may be talking about Canard ... lololol that's even more way off.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
How do you know he's a Roosters fan ? Btown, Bankstown ... yeah thats Roosters territory. Never seen him in the Roosters forum either.

Quit your bullshit and lol@souffs.

EDIT: Just realised you may be talking about Canard ... lololol that's even more way off.
I was talking about canard yes. Hes not a roosters boy?

skeepe

Immortal
I can’t believe it. They went back to Robert Finch. The most incompetent referees boss of all time.

Time to start the FoFF up again.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Totally agree, I don’t give a sht about the opinions of the commentators, especially as half of them don’t know the rules or can’t see what’s going on. Thank frick Fox now has all games and it’s own commentators, I would have given up on nrl by now if I had to listen to ch9coverage every week.

Vee

First Grade
Totally agree, I don’t give a sht about the opinions of the commentators, especially as half of them don’t know the rules or can’t see what’s going on. Thank frick Fox now has all games and it’s own commentators, I would have given up on nrl by now if I had to listen to ch9coverage every week.
As their profile has grown, they are becoming as bad as Nein. Not there yet, but catching up.