What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Crucial selection battles

DiegoNT

First Grade
Tyrell was knocked out the whole game. Remember Api playing that game though? He was much better than McInnes at that time?
Tyrell was knocked out late in the game. Ali was great. Of course he was much better at the time, he is a few years older.
The point I tried to make about Api is that even at 25 he still isn't a regular first grader and is still developing and improving at 25. But in r20 and shadows twisted logic players can't develop of improve after they turn 23.

alien

Referee
I earlier thought Cook should be on the interchange, but I'm starting to think he shouldn't be because we only have 8 interchanges, and the props use up 4. I think Sam Burgess should get a rest during the game (maybe between the 30th and 50th mins) so that's another 2 interchanges, which leaves 2 left for second row or injuries. Clark is handy to have on the interchange since he can play any position in the forwards, including hooker. Also, if the spine (1, 6, 7, 9) are going well during the match, I don't think it would be wise to take one of them off if he (Farah) can play the full 80 mins, and Cook can really only play hooker or maybe in the halves, so it would be a waste of an interchange spot.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I earlier thought Cook should be on the interchange, but I'm starting to think he shouldn't be because we only have 8 interchanges, and the props use up 4. I think Sam Burgess should get a rest during the game (maybe between the 30th and 50th mins) so that's another 2 interchanges, which leaves 2 left for second row or injuries. Clark is handy to have on the interchange since he can play any position in the forwards, including hooker. Also, if the spine (1, 6, 7, 9) are going well during the match, I don't think it would be wise to take one of them off if he (Farah) can play the full 80 mins, and Cook can really only play hooker or maybe in the halves, so it would be a waste of an interchange spot.
I truly think the lack of interchanges and the ruck rules have been a part of our demise considering not only our style of play but the size and build of some of our players.

I wouldn't mind seeing Farah used as a lock during matches though.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I would like to see a situation Sam comes off at about the 50th minute mark, with Chricton injected into the game and turner to lock mainly for his good defence, then at about the 60th Minute he comes back recharged, and Sutton comes off. With the prop rotation that would be 6 interchanges. If we need Sutton back out there he goes on with the 7th interchange.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'll take your last paragraph to answer your first. Yes it's almost certain that Farah would be in 1st grade over Mcinnes ( similar to cook). That's why Mcinnes decided to leave, to keep playing 1st grade. Cook seems to be OK with being number 2. Richo can't magically make a player leave if he doesn't want to. If that was true then why the hell is Dane Nelsen still at the club
You say a bloke who just turned 23 last fortnight has no improvement? That's one of the most ludacris things you've said, and that's saying a lot. Name one hooker outside of Smith and Luke who was a premier hooker at 22?. Micheal ennis was a fringe first grader in his early years at the knights, dragons and broncos. It wasn't until his last year at the broncos when he was 24 that people noticed he was a decent hooker. Jake Friend was seen as an Achilles heel at the roosters, until he had a breakout year 2013 as a 23 year old. When peats left us as a 23 year old not many souths fans were dissapointed. When he was available last year, everyone hoped we could somehow sign him back. Robbie Farah wasn't good enough for origin until he was 25. He was dropped after 1 game and didn't get back until he was 28. McCullough wasn't noticed as a key broncos player until 2015 when he was 25. The list goes on . You can't right off a hooker at 22 as being no hope.
Again we have a story of a 'mate' who agrees completely 100 percent with your argument. It's bizarre you never have a mate that disagrees with you.
The reason he's worth $470k is that despite your accusations that he is completely hopeless, he somehow gets good stats. In fact he had one of the top 5 fantasy games of any player last year. This is built on defence, a part of the game I'm 100% sure you close eyes for. Again stats only tell some of the story. I concede Mcinnes has flaws, but being so young he has time to fix them.
You have bizarre limits of loyalty. You regularly run down players who delivered our 21st premiership, who go about their business with no fuss, while idolising players who didn't help who have asked for releases on more then 1 occasion. Tyrrell had to be sacked for putting his hands near his hips at training, as that was a cancer that could seriously harm the club , but cook threatening a release to get more money out of the club was fantastic and a great sign of loyalty
Except McTortoise has gone to a basket case. My Dragons mate has been saying they are a basket case and will struggle to win many games again this season. Cook is not running away from it either. McTortoise didn't have any confidence in taking on Cook or Farah this season. I mean how could you have any confidence when Cook got us going as GI said himself today in which I posted a link in a new thread. Cook is taking Farah head on like a warrior. It's great to see and they'll bring out the best in one another.

Richo can't make a player leave is correct, but he can tell them they'll be no chance of them playing first grade which is most likely what's happened with Dane as he has not featured in any of our trials whatsoever.

Well imo Cam hasn't improved. From his first game for us against Dragons at the SCG in which he played very well in he's gone backwards. Not ludicrous at all, it's how I see it and I'm not the only one to think so.

By the way I was disappointed that Peats left. When he was at hooker he was much better in comparison with Cam.

I do have mates that disagree with me actually. They don't think Gray is a loss with his injury but I think he's a loss.

All Cam does is tackle, that's all he's good at. Definitely will be nowhere near my fantasy side.

If Souths saw a bright future for him we'd have rallied hard to keep him at the end of last season. But they've opted for the better choice, that is the guy who strongly contributed to getting the forwards rolling forward and was quick in his decision making.

As I said Cook asking for a release and the same can be said for Cody is that they really wanted to stay at Souths but looked at options which they wouldn't take to get Souths to offer a longer contract. Nothing wrong with that at all. That's called doing what's best for yourself at the club you want too. I don't think it was all about the money for Cook, it was about getting longer security in a place he loves.

I like Tyrrell but he declined rapidly and sadly should now have the boots hung up.
He is past it. Hands on hips or not doesn't matter, he shouldn't be anywhere near first grade this season. Other clubs players will be licking their lips if Dave is in our side as he's now cannon fodder.

Rabbits20

Immortal
We don't know what's going on behind closed doors. I'm not saying he is, but Tyrrell could be in for a huge season, apparently he's had a great pre season and he could genuinly be the best option. Who knows? I personally think he's a bit past it sadly but anyway.

Same goe's for Cook. Sounds like he's been training well and he could deserve to be there.

Let's just let the footy do the talking and put this issue to bed aye? We know where everyone stands.
Sorry he won't be in for a huge season. What's huge Callmack, is 6 hit ups for 45metres huge????? That's unacceptable actually.

I just don't want mediocrity Callmack when Zane is the guy who should be starting in the front row.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think it will be a POOsition for Sths if Zeroman is ever in the No.9 permanently!!
GI doesn't seem to think so our captain.

He today said Cook really got us going at the back end of last season.

I'd suggest you listen to our captain Doyen.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I've never been disrespectful enough to openly call any Sths player a DUD. They are all NRL players & at least should be exempt from the dreaded DUD classification!!
Well I disagree.

Duds and NSW Cup players is the same thing.

You're either up to it or you're not. It's pretty simple imo.

It's a cut throat business and very results driven.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You go up to any supporter and ask them if they think cook is a good player I guarantee they'll say yes. That's such bs most Bulldogs fans are spewing they let go of cook. Lichaa is on the verge of getting dropped. There's a reason the premiers were after cook and not McInnes LOL.
Correct mate.

Don't start me on Lichaa either. He's a dud. Hasler realised too late though. He'd wish he could take the time back I bet. Same goes for Madge with Cam.

Cook was a breathe of fresh air so to speak at the back end of last season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Saints gave Zeroman the flick too!!
They'd take him back over McTurtle now.

Just read any of their forums online, they speak for themselves.

Also Doyen is pretty much calling Cook a dud Shadow.

Zeroman is the same thing lol.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You go up to any supporter and ask them if they think cook is a good player I guarantee they'll say yes. That's such bs most Bulldogs fans are spewing they let go of cook. Lichaa is on the verge of getting dropped. There's a reason the premiers were after cook and not McInnes LOL.
Apparently I'm on delusion juice.

Just read the thread I posted tonight SOUTHS til I die with the link for the article where GI today has said Cook got us going at the back end of last season.

GI has spoken and we truly now know who's on the delusion juice. (Diego)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Tyrell was knocked out late in the game. Ali was great. Of course he was much better at the time, he is a few years older.
The point I tried to make about Api is that even at 25 he still isn't a regular first grader and is still developing and improving at 25. But in r20 and shadows twisted logic players can't develop of improve after they turn 23.
Where did I say players can't develop????

Show me where please????

I said McTortoise is getting worse.

alien

Referee
Thanks mate.

Great having you in this thread.

There are 4 that see sense so far:

R20
Shadow
Souths til I die
Alien (who hasn't said as much as I thought)

The awesome 4 so far guys, can we make it the fab 5????

lol