What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Focus

What should drive the NRL's expansion plans

• Competing with AFL

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Strengthening the product locally

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Strengthening the game Internationally

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

docbrown

Coach
If the player pool from the pacific region doubles, won't that help the NRL?

Especially when people keep talking about how expansion teams would dilute the existing talent.

Shouldn't the NRL's mandate be to have the biggest player pool available from as many sources as possible?

Perth Red

Post Whore
A strong international game has massive spin offs for the NRL and its players. The RFL have tried to support it through French and Welsh clubs admissions and the NRL should be doing the same. I would go as far as to say 5% of all media deals from every RL comp in the world with a media deal should go into a RLIF pool for development of the International game.

docbrown

Coach
A strong international game has massive spin offs for the NRL and its players. The RFL have tried to support it through French and Welsh clubs admissions and the NRL should be doing the same. I would go as far as to say 5% of all media deals from every RL comp in the world with a media deal should go into a RLIF pool for development of the International game.

If not a fixed percentage then at least a guarantee of something substantial and effective.

bobmar28

Bench
I voted local.

I don't think it is the NRL's job to strengthen the international game. That is for the RLIF.

And I don't think the NRL should make its decisions based on how the AFL will react. If we make the right decisions, for the good of the NRL, it will help us compete with the AFL. Trying to hurt the AFL explicitly could also weaken the NRL. AFL at the moment has much deeper pockets, so can afford to be more aggressive. I hope we at least catch up with them over the next 5 years or so. From there, things would get very interesting...

And why do they have deep pockets? They keep telling people they are a truly national code and the media believes the hype. Even today the tele has Folau on the front page promoting GWS. I would like to see NRL players on the front page of the West Australian or whatever it is.

Last edited: