What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

T-Boon

Coach
End of day touch players are t likleymto watch nrl just because their footy has a nrl badge on it. Getting every pri sry school in the country playing leaguetag however would be massive for the sport. Link the clubs into it with some major nrl investment and we are going somewhere.

You guys are selling the potential of Touch Football as a tool for RL short.

Firstly: Touch is arguable the best (biggest?) sport ever invented in Australia.
Secondly: it is well recognised that it was invented by the South Sydney RL club.
Thirdly: unlike League Tag it is PRESENTLY massive right throughout Australia and is popular as hell with women.

We should use these things to our advantage.

One thing we could do is promote the links between TF and RL. For example: We don't promote the pathway development of guys like Scott Prince, Benji Marshall and Bevan French well enough.
Another thing we could do is have a short 2 week pre season NRL Touch Footy comp (even a mixed comp with the best Rugby League women playing on the NRL Touch teams). Try to get it on Fox, Nine etc.

This way Touch Footy kids will see the stars playing the Touch game.

By all means incorporate League Tag into the system as well. But why ignore the potential of Touch.

Stallion

First Grade
You guys are selling the potential of Touch Football as a tool for RL short.

Firstly: Touch is arguable the best (biggest?) sport ever invented in Australia.
Secondly: it is well recognised that it was invented by the South Sydney RL club.
Thirdly: unlike League Tag it is PRESENTLY massive right throughout Australia and is popular as hell with women.

We should use these things to our advantage.

One thing we could do is promote the links between TF and RL. For example: We don't promote the pathway development of guys like Scott Prince, Benji Marshall and Bevan French well enough.
Another thing we could do is have a short 2 week pre season NRL Touch Footy comp (even a mixed comp with the best Rugby League women playing on the NRL Touch teams). Try to get it on Fox, Nine etc.

This way Touch Footy kids will see the stars playing the Touch game.

By all means incorporate League Tag into the system as well. But why ignore the potential of Touch.

Fully agree with what you are saying. It would be beneficial if original touch rules such as playing the ball with the foot and having a marker were reintroduced. This would have touch be much more like 'tippy league' which it originally was. Even if an original style rules touch competition was implemented I'm sure this would work. Atm touch has metamorphosized too far away from its origins for my liking. If the original rules were in place i would endorse touch above leaguetag except this is not the case due to rules at this stage.

T-Boon

Coach
Fully agree with what you are saying. It would be beneficial if original touch rules such as playing the ball with the foot and having a marker were reintroduced. This would have touch be much more like 'tippy league' which it originally was. Even if an original style rules touch competition was implemented I'm sure this would work. Atm touch has metamorphosized too far away from its origins for my liking. If the original rules were in place i would endorse touch above leaguetag except this is not the case due to rules at this stage.

Imagine the boost the NRL would get out of a short televised pre season Touch comp where each NRL club had some of the best NRL players playing with and against the best Touch players...men and women (the NRL clubs could have a Touch Footy player draft).
It would one-up every other sport that has gotten ahead of NRL with promoting their womens game by actually having the men and women play with and against one another. Now that is equality.
The winning team could dive up a nice prize and any profit could go to Touch Footy Australia.

Stallion

First Grade
Imagine the boost the NRL would get out of a short televised pre season Touch comp where each NRL club had some of the best NRL players playing with and against the best Touch players...men and women (the NRL clubs could have a Touch Footy player draft).
It would one-up every other sport that has gotten ahead of NRL with promoting their womens game by actually having the men and women play with and against one another. Now that is equality.
The winning team could dive up a nice prize and any profit could go to Touch Footy Australia.

Tweek the on field ruck rules and Im all for it.

T-Boon

Coach
Tweek the on field ruck rules and Im all for it.

I agree that a marker would be great in Touch. A change like that would be perfect for RL but I dont think we need perfect. My opinion is even without "perfect" we could get a hell of a lot out of a smart pre season Touch comp that combines NRL clubs, NRL stars, elite TF men and women and TV.

Stallion

First Grade
I agree that a marker would be great in Touch. A change like that would be perfect for RL but I dont think we need perfect. My opinion is even without "perfect" we could get a hell of a lot out of a smart pre season Touch comp that combines NRL clubs, NRL stars, elite TF men and women and TV.

From a personal point of view I would be back to playing touch footy if the play the ball with foot and marker was reintroduced. One of the reasons I play Oztag is it has a marker and play ball with foot rule. Atm touch is missing the intricasies of guile and positional play around the ruck as they continually just try to run defenders offside and just plant the ball for the next gazelle like run. Its something that should be looked at. If they put the ruck rules back Id be back playing touch footy and not tag.

Vee

First Grade
Markers were scrapped in Touch because there was too much interference, hand on ball etc.

Stallion

First Grade
Markers were scrapped in Touch because there was too much interference, hand on ball etc.

Think that's a refereeing issue. It needs to be done for the good of its(touch footy) link with where it came from which is "tippy league".

The markers need to be reintroduced along with a particular emphasis on the play the ball with the foot rule. You will find that many of subtleties and tactics around the ruck play revolve around these very important ruck features/rules that have gone by the wayside for far too long..

Vee

First Grade
Think that's a refereeing issue. It needs to be done for the good of its(touch footy) link with where it came from which is "tippy league".

The markers need to be reintroduced along with a particular emphasis on the play the ball with the foot rule. You will find that many of subtleties and tactics around the ruck play revolve around these very important ruck features/rules that have gone by the wayside for far too long..
I imagine if it was a refereeing issue, the referees would've sorted it out. After all, they don't have national media attention and super slo-mo replays scrutinizing their every decision.

Sounds like you're talking through your hat with very little knowledge of the facts but an inate belief that if you want something to be true badly enough, it will be so. Again.

Vee

First Grade
BTW, I agree the ball should be played with the foot, at least in RL. It would make it much easier to rule on correct play-the-balls.

You see what I did there? I agreed with one part of your post without it signifying that I agreed with the whole lot.

Stallion

First Grade
And what is this Tippy League you speak of?

When i was a young footballer (under 7s etc)we played tippy league b4 footy training. It was what became touch footy. This is in the 70s in Newcastle.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I imagine if it was a refereeing issue, the referees would've sorted it out. After all, they don't have national media attention and super slo-mo replays scrutinizing their every decision.

Sounds like you're talking through your hat with very little knowledge of the facts but an inate belief that if you want something to be true badly enough, it will be so. Again.

A tad harsh and unfair V . If the referee penalised the interference consistently id say it would not have been the cause for losing the marker in touch. But glad we agree on the play the ball with the foot rule. Thats something!

Vee

First Grade
A tad harsh and unfair V . If the referee penalised the interference consistently id say it would not have been the cause for losing the marker in touch. But glad we agree on the play the ball with the foot rule. Thats something!
What's your refereeing background in Touch?

Vee

First Grade
When i was a young footballer (under 7s etc)we played tippy league b4 footy training. It was what became touch footy. This is in the 70s in Newcastle.
Never heard of it, was it an actual sport or just social touch used to develop footy skills?

Stallion

First Grade
What's your refereeing background in Touch?

I referee kids at school. I'm one of the few male teachers that gets the kids out there playing touch footy with play the ball with foot rules and a marker. I agree the marker is harder to police and their probably should be a "hang" rule where the marker cant run off and chase for 5 seconds or so. Of course this would apply to a certain age and then we move on.

Vee

First Grade
I referee kids at school. I'm one of the few male teachers that gets the kids out there playing touch footy with play the ball with foot rules and a marker. I agree the marker is harder to police and their probably should be a "hang" rule where the marker cant run off and chase for 5 seconds or so. Of course this would apply to a certain age and then we move on.
Okay, so just to be clear, you are talking through your hat about re-introducing markers in Touch. Thought so.

Stallion

First Grade
Never heard of it, was it an actual sport or just social touch used to develop footy skills?

Tippy league was played by most rugby league boys before training runs. Very common In Newcastle when I was growing up. Pretty sure other areas had it. Not sure though.(was only a kid) It was something to do prior to training start. It was later called Touch Footy and then as time went on some integral rule changes made it less and less like the touch version of rugby league it was in its original form.

Stallion

First Grade
Okay, so just to be clear, you are talking through your hat about re-introducing markers in Touch. Thought so.

No I'm not! If it stops the repetitive tactic of trying to run defensive players offside then I'm no fan of the current rules in touch football.

Id rather see dummy half skills around the ruck being used to create space, not running people offside.

Vee

First Grade
Tippy league was played by most rugby league boys before training runs. Very common In Newcastle when I was growing up. Pretty sure other areas had it. Not sure though.(was only a kid) It was something to do prior to training start. It was later called Touch Footy and then as time went on some integral rule changes made it less and less like the touch version of rugby league it was in its original form.
Sounds like social touch used to warm up and develop skills. So, not an actual sport then with formal rules and structured competition?