What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

Stallion

First Grade
I'll believe that when I see it! Rl in the NH is littered with failed expansion attempts. I hope it does this time though, a true world club playoff between top Nh and Sh clubs would be massive. 20 team comps in both parts of world 19 game seasons with a 8 world club champions league in sept/oct. we can but dream!

I would suggest intrrnationals rather than club centric competitions. RL deserves decent international representation. Its a tough road however rugby league is a tougher code considering what it has had to face over many years in many nations.

I'll believe that when I see it! Rl in the NH is littered with failed expansion attempts. I hope it does this time though, a true world club playoff between top Nh and Sh clubs would be massive. 20 team comps in both parts of world 19 game seasons with a 8 world club champions league in sept/oct. we can but dream!
Says the man who constantly keeps banging the drum for a NRL club in Perth

T-Boon

Coach
The other thing we should setup

Online game play

The biggest threat to RL is online gaming for the younger generation

Interesting. Can you be more specific? Maybe the NRL clubs should just show gaming stuff on the big screen to try to attract kids.

T-Boon

Coach
I've been thinking lately if we are trying to attract more women to the games why not have cheer dudes. We've got the cheer girls for the dudes who are already coming for the sport anyway. Get cheer dudes to try to drag more young ladies in. That in turn would probably drag more dudes in.

For ANZ games have a ladies section and get dance dudes down their in front of them to entertain them.

T-Boon

Coach
The other thing we should setup

Online game play

The biggest threat to RL is online gaming for the younger generation

I see my son sit down and watch online 100,000 people sit in a stadium watching gamers play

Just read an article on The Roar indicating the AFL are all over this. Richmond bought an eSports company in Sydney. The NRL would not have even thought about it yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Says the man who constantly keeps banging the drum for a NRL club in Perth

The sport in both countries is littered with failures.

Paris
Sheffield
Wales
London
Gateshead
Perth
Adelaide

Only one club has survived in the top flight from a non heartland city. Melbourne.

Maybe one day the game will get popular enough beyond its heartland to thrive.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyone think it would increase crowds if players gave the ball to a fan after scoring a try? (I just watched Cam Newton do this in the NFL as part of his post TD celebration).

You would be giving out maybe 8 game balls a game. Lets add that to the game day experience. I think kids watching on TV might nag dad to get them to the game.

Watch on TV? or get to the ground where you might get to keep a game ball and get it signed by a player?

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
So overdue it's not funny any more! It's embarassing!

The issue is now a proud symbol of the NRLs stagnation across the board.
In fact I think there is a paid position at NRL headquarters called 'Officer in charge of stagnation'.

Stallion

First Grade
The issue is now a proud symbol of the NRLs stagnation across the board.
In fact I think there is a paid position at NRL headquarters called 'Officer in charge of stagnation'.

Wouldn't surprise! It's a reflection of how untouchable the Broncos have been in their motive to maintain their monopoly of the city of Brisbane. Shamefull greed from the Broncos and poor strategic action (or lack of) from the NRL.

jim_57

Staff member
Bit of a random thought regarding a 2nd NZ side. This is ridiculous timing on my behalf because the Warriors are woeful but..

Does anyone think breaking from the traditional thinking of Wellington/Christchurch and looking at a 2nd Auckland side could have some merit?

Currently the Warriors problems make it a bit laughable, but if they were to get their shit together could there be an option of creating a genuine cross-town rivalry with a 2nd Auckland side? From what I know there are no genuine cross-city rivalries in any other sports either so RL would get the jump on that.

When you look at it population wise Auckland is more than triple the size of the next biggest city as well. I'm not an expert but maybe you could create a genuine North/South rivalry with a new side being set up at North Harbour stadium and derby games at Eden park or any new national stadium that gets built. It would also put the heat on the Warriors and might actually push them to fulfill their potential.

Main negative I can see would be that the Southern cities would probably hate being overlooked for a 2nd Auckland side, potentially damaging Rugby League in Wellington, Christchurch and other cities.

Stallion

First Grade
Bit of a random thought regarding a 2nd NZ side. This is ridiculous timing on my behalf because the Warriors are woeful but..

Does anyone think breaking from the traditional thinking of Wellington/Christchurch and looking at a 2nd Auckland side could have some merit?

Currently the Warriors problems make it a bit laughable, but if they were to get their shit together could there be an option of creating a genuine cross-town rivalry with a 2nd Auckland side? From what I know there are no genuine cross-city rivalries in any other sports either so RL would get the jump on that.

When you look at it population wise Auckland is more than triple the size of the next biggest city as well. I'm not an expert but maybe you could create a genuine North/South rivalry with a new side being set up at North Harbour stadium and derby games at Eden park or any new national stadium that gets built. It would also put the heat on the Warriors and might actually push them to fulfill their potential.

Main negative I can see would be that the Southern cities would probably hate being overlooked for a 2nd Auckland side, potentially damaging Rugby League in Wellington, Christchurch and other cities.

Good thinking!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Auckland is where the majority of NZ RL exists so it makes sense. I would like to see Brisbane get a second team before Auckland do, but when the time comes for Auckland, why not.

jim_57

Staff member
Auckland is where the majority of NZ RL exists so it makes sense. I would like to see Brisbane get a second team before Auckland do, but when the time comes for Auckland, why not.

Agree, Perth & Brisbane 2 are the first no brainers for me. After that though I'd be looking at Adelaide & NZ2.

All talk of NZ2 is always Christchurch, Wellington or both, but I definetely think a 2nd Auckland bid could make a race of it, especially if the Warriors are going well by then. It is a tough one because beyond those 4 new teams there is no obvious stand out to partner a 3rd NZ team if the NRL ever get that far with expansion, so any side that misses out may have a long time to wait for a team.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Given that none of the Pacific Islands have the population or corporate structure to support an NRL club on their own, I'd love to see a "South Pacific" team based out of Auckland (with QLD/NSW Cup teams for Fiji, Samoa and Tonga as feeder clubs)

-Auckland has the biggest Polynesian population on Earth (plus a healthy population of Fijians)

-Auckland has the corporate strength to support another NRL club

-It attracted huge crowds for Tongan and Samoan World Cup games

-Rugby Union in these countries are struggling financially

The NRL is made up of about 50% Polynesian players and this would give them the first choice of talent in these countries.

It'd also mean a game being played in Auckland every week, which would help grow the game in New Zealand too.

They could also take one home game per season to Fiji, Samoa and Tonga

Latest posts