What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

Mickdog

Juniors
Expansion is becoming a priority to the NRL surely. No presence in Perth is simply giving in to the AFL. We need a team there before any other team. Just the tv ratings of having a live Friday or Saturday 9.30 game is enough to reap the rewards. Secondly another Brisbane team is needed to boost ratings on Friday nights so they are almost as important.

Perth Pirates and Brisbane Bombers are the only teams that have a real chance and can be seen as priority.

Just my two cents

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBh it is less about AFL, Perth is and will always be AFL heartland, but we can kill RU here. Four of the Western Force U18's have just been picked for the Australian RU U18's squad. They could have been RL players with a NRL club driving the game here. Curtis Rona nearly signed for the Force jnr system but the SG Ball side started and he stook with RL and is likely to be a very good NRL player in the future. I know plenty of RL fans who are Force members just because they won't follow AFL and miss live sport. It is not the main reason to expand to Perth but killing RU here would be a very nice bye product!

Mickdog

Juniors
TBh it is less about AFL, Perth is and will always be AFL heartland, but we can kill RU here. Four of the Western Force U18's have just been picked for the Australian RU U18's squad. They could have been RL players with a NRL club driving the game here. Curtis Rona nearly signed for the Force jnr system but the SG Ball side started and he stook with RL and is likely to be a very good NRL player in the future. I know plenty of RL fans who are Force members just because they won't follow AFL and miss live sport. It is not the main reason to expand to Perth but killing RU here would be a very nice bye product!

Fair call, I hope the NRL come to their senses and expand to Perth. I don't think killing off Union is a priority but having a presence in WA certainly is.

oikee

Juniors
Watching the quality of the game once you take the origin players out is like watching paint dry.
Weak, very weak comp we have, hardly any players are worth feeding.
The game needs to cut back Sydney teams, chop it back to 6 teams, and then have teams in every big city, three in Brisbane and two in NZ.

With nobody turning up to the Titans Sharks or Manly games, it is becoming very clear that players are damaging the game not only in stupid remarks, but by past reputations and behaviour.

They make it worse by fueling the fires at Origin. Bird, Gallen, Watmough and Woods and co should be seen not heard. Their remarks and stupid interviews are turning the public away from the game, and minus 10 thousand crowds are becoming a habit.

If Gallen lifts the shield the fairytale and Australia's love affair with the Maroons will be over.
Gallen can offically go down in the history books of killing origin,.
I hope he is not on the Asada list. Heads will roll.
The game cant support 18 teams, we have not got the talent. And we need to grow outside Sydney before every other city loses interest. Brisbane is starting to lose interest in the NRL negative position.

Last edited:
Watching the quality of the game once you take the origin players out is like watching paint dry.
Weak, very weak comp we have, hardly any players are worth feeding.
The game needs to cut back Sydney teams, chop it back to 6 teams, and then have teams in every big city, three in Brisbane and two in NZ.

With nobody turning up to the Titans Sharks or Manly games, it is becoming very clear that players are damaging the game not only in stupid remarks, but by past reputations and behaviour.

They make it worse by fueling the fires at Origin. Bird, Gallen, Watmough and Woods and co should be seen not heard. Their remarks and stupid interviews are turning the public away from the game, and minus 10 thousand crowds are becoming a habit.

If Gallen lifts the shield the fairytale and Australia's love affair with the Maroons will be over.
Gallen can offically go down in the history books of killing origin,.
I hope he is not on the Asada list. Heads will roll.
The game cant support 18 teams, we have not got the talent. And we need to grow outside Sydney before every other city loses interest. Brisbane is starting to lose interest in the NRL negative position.

Nominee for most idiotic post of the year.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Look at what has happened to the Titans. At this stage what do they even bring to the table? The people of the Gold Coast care little for them. They certainly haven't fallen in love with them. The Titans are proof why expansion must be done very cautiously. I would delay it at least until 2020.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And your justification for the delay? What do you think will occur between now and 2020 that will make Perth and Brisbane2 more viable? Perth has been planning and developing since 2007. Unlikely the teams will come in before 2018. That is 11 years of development and planning. What exactly do you think an extra two years on top of that is going to achieve?

morley101

Juniors
Lots of people said Melbourne was going to be a failure. Their crowds have grown and the junior numbers have massively increased since 1998. When I was down in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago druing the half time they had an under 12's team from Mildura playing a local under 12's team. The game is spreading.

Altona Roosters
South East Titans
Northern Thunder
Wakerley Oakleigh Panther

Last edited:

goodplayer

Juniors
That is also where places like Perth have an edge over the Central Coast, namely they are not near any other team and being in a different time zone, give the NRL an extra TV time slot to sell to the TV networks, being as they are 3 hours behind the east coast. The Central Coasyt does not give that benefit. That is why places like Perth will be looked on more favourably.

fully agree , it a no brainer , all new tv deals in perth timezone, pay tv money . thats what its all about
same as a 2nd nz team , and all the juniors

east coast timezone games are saturated

bluefox1968

Juniors
Wasn't sure where to put this post, but it just occurred to me...

If you look at the rosters of most NRL teams, I believe they're mostly getting stronger. There seems to be a lot of good juniors coming through.

Surely we can sustain a couple more teams. I think the time is definitely right for expansion.

My 2 cents worth: A second SEQ team and a second NZ team seems to be the most logical direction, but I would also be happy to see 2 Sydney teams relocate, as well - to Perth and Central QLD. That would shake things up.

LJC

Juniors
Wasn't sure where to put this post, but it just occurred to me...

If you look at the rosters of most NRL teams, I believe they're mostly getting stronger. There seems to be a lot of good juniors coming through.

Surely we can sustain a couple more teams. I think the time is definitely right for expansion.

My 2 cents worth: A second SEQ team and a second NZ team seems to be the most logical direction, but I would also be happy to see 2 Sydney teams relocate, as well - to Perth and Central QLD. That would shake things up.

The game doesn't need the shake up! That was given by superleague and we are still suffering from that!

alien

Referee
what do people think the chances are of some sydney clubs relocating??? if that doesnt happen then the nrl need to bring in a 2nd brisbane team and a perth team, and 5 years later an adelaide team and central coast bears. a 20 team comp is fine, and they can keep the top 8 format. play every team once = 19 rounds (or 20 rounds and play your rival twice). 4 or 5 less games to what we have now plus state of origin on saturday night with no nrl games that weekend will help players not burning out, and will allow us to have a decent amount of time for internationals/tours at end of season..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very slim whilst the NRl is happy to bail them out and accept mediocrity of some clubs.

Roosters seem to have a plan to colocate to Gosford so Bears if they have any sense will now be talking to the NRL about which city they should partner with to bring the brand back. They will have to accept that they wont run the club but will have a link up. Wellington Bears, Perth Bears, Adelaide Bears, who knows but CC bears is dead in the water.

papabear

Juniors
imo any out of state bid would be nuts to not try and pick up the bears branding.

The gold coast are such a joke it just isn't funny anymore.

Rodney

Juniors
imo any out of state bid would be nuts to not try and pick up the bears branding.

The gold coast are such a joke it just isn't funny anymore.

if it was free sure,
but likely the bears brand comes with bears admin and/or a hefty licencing fee.

oikee

Juniors
I love the Bears as a brand.
Parents love bears, kids love bears.

We need Perth, that is a no brainer, we need a second team in Brisbane, we need another team in NZ.

We have to keep the Titans. Having 4 Queensland teams is a must. Death-riding the Titans is like death-riding our code.