What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: Former South Sydney Rabbitoh Chris Caruana living in car

24 Mar 12 @ 12:17am by Jon Geddes

Chris Caruana living inside his Ford Laser. PICTURE: ANNIKA ENDERBORG

HE is the former first grade rugby league star who was earning $400,000 a season.
At the peak of his career Chris Caruana was a pin-up in a women’s magazine and rubbed shoulders with celebrities. But for the past five months Caruana has been living out of his car on the northern beaches.
In a damning indictment of the tough times faced by many people trying to survive on the northern beaches, Caruana beds down each night on a thin mattress in the back of his 1988 Ford Laser.
He often has to rely on handouts from St Vincent de Paul at Manly and the generosity of mates to get a feed.
After riding high on a wave of success, it all came crashing down for the former North Sydney and South Sydney star.
He has courageously spoken to the Manly Daily about his plight to demonstrate that if he can find himself in this situation, anyone can. ``I have had borderline personality disorder, which is a major depression illness, for about 10 years,’’ Caruana said.
``I basically lived in a cave for four or five years and away from a lot of my great friends and that is what this illness does.’‘
As his life spiralled out of control, Caruana hit the depths of despair.
``I tried to commit suicide twice. The Lord, the Higher Being, Buddha whatever you want want to call him didn’t want me to go,’’ he said. ``I’m not going to do it a third time.’’
Read more about how he is battling his demons
Caruana lost a lot of money after a relationship separation and was burnt through bad investments.
``People I thought were friends each got close to $100,000 off me,’’ he said.
``I was on massive money and I renovated and sold six homes over the past 12 years. Basically, it’s all gone.’‘
Now Caruana is passionate about making a difference for people in his predicament. He is campaigning for politicians to address the problems faced by those ``invisible’’ Aussies that society ignores.
``Over the past three months I have been associated with Beyond Blue and there are that many people on the streets and living out of their cars it is just incredible,’’ he said.
``It is coming into winter and I see these kids on the streets. And all these politicians they just don’t know. Over the last 48 hours I could not get any emergency accommodation on the northern beaches.’‘
Caruana was offered temporary accommodation at Campbelltown but that meant being too far away from his son, who is at school in the area. Times are tough but Caruana has never stopped being a devoted father.
``I am very proud of my son and daughter, and I want them to go on to better things,’’ he said.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.a...-sydney-rabbitoh-chris-caruana-living-in-car/

Big Sam

First Grade
Terrible stuff. I wonder if he ever got concussed when he played? A lot of studies coming out of the States indicate that numerous NFL players who had concussion have suffered from some form of post-career depression.

I've often thought that our club or the league as a whole should start some sort of fund to assist former players who are suffering from misfortune or playing related injuries. I'm aware that the QLD FOGS have done something like that but maybe it should be extended and enhanced by the league.

Wizardman

First Grade

Good to hear that the bloke is finally on the mend. There is definitely a darker side to some of the younger blokes who played for North Sydney and South Sydney in that 90's period. Quite a few of them have fallen on hard times. It reminds me of the West Coast Eagles in the afl during 90s.

Pneuma

First Grade
Terrible stuff. I wonder if he ever got concussed when he played? A lot of studies coming out of the States indicate that numerous NFL players who had concussion have suffered from some form of post-career depression.

I've often thought that our club or the league as a whole should start some sort of fund to assist former players who are suffering from misfortune or playing related injuries. I'm aware that the QLD FOGS have done something like that but maybe it should be extended and enhanced by the league.
He said he has BPD. That’s enough to place him where he is without concussion issues. Depending on the severity BPD can completely ruin a person life. Worth reading up about.

Latest posts