What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Grand Final in WA

bennySW

Juniors
Just a quick question noticing that the NRL Semi's this weekend aren't live or even at a reasonable time on free to air (either on Win or 9) do we know or has anyone "inside information" if the Grand Final will be live ?

As i live in Busselton and no one has even heard of the NRL down here yet I may need to travel up to Perth and watch it with family at a pub, which means I'm having another long weekend to recover.

Can anyone supply some information ?

Thanks in advance.

jargan83

Coach
Grand Final has been live the past couple of years I think. Here in Perth at least

Paddington Ale House, Mustang Bar are two places I have come across with Live Rugby League on the TV

Perth Red

Post Whore
Saty down South, more chance of it being on WIN!

Think it will be on live or close to, though I won;t hold my breath till I see it. Most pubs show it, as well as those mentioned Greenwood is usually a good atmosphere.

Nuke

Staff member
If it's not on live on Ch9, I have a feeling you won't 'officially' get to see it live in any pub or club. Ch9 threatened legal action earlier this year (and have done so in past years too) against anyplace that showed the Origin games before they did. They've done it for Grand Finals before, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again.

I say 'officially' because I'm guessing a lot of places would show it live, but wouldn't advertise it due to that legal action.

Nuke

Staff member
IT'S ON LIVE!!!
I've just checked yourtv.com.au, and it says both Ch9 and GEM are showing the NRL Grand Final live into Perth, starting at 1:30pm, and finishing at 4:30pm.

Ch9, you've finally done well. About bloody time too.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Well done Channel 9, you've now been raised a notch in my books.

You are now at notch -99.

Flapper

First Grade
Dont get too excited, theyre contractually obligated to show the GF live nationally.

You sure? Wasn't live into Adelaide or Perth last year IIRC?

Still excellent result, at least you can try to convince some AFL fans to back up for a sports weekend!

Nuke

Staff member
We had it live last year too, however Ch9 being 'contractually obligated' to show NRL at any certain time means jacksh*t outside League heartland. There have been many occasions (and an ongoing one in Melbourne) where Ch9 have not done what they were supposed to do regarding the NRL, and they've pretty much had the attitude of 'You can't make me'.

I'd say the only reason they're playing along this year -like last year- is because the timing suits them. When the game kicked off at 7:30pm NSW time, it was going to conflict with Ch9 Perth's news and evening (prime time) programming ... and we can't have that now, can we?! The earlier kickoff and timeslot means it's all finished by 4:30pm - a full 90mins clear before they care who's watching.

Perth Red

Post Whore
75K tuned in in Perth. A reasonable increase on previous years (only 33K in Adelaide). In comparison 330K tuned in for the AFL GF from Perth.

I think we can comfortably double that when we get the Reds back and RL gets a stronger profile here.

LineBall

Juniors
75K tuned in in Perth. A reasonable increase on previous years (only 33K in Adelaide). In comparison 330K tuned in for the AFL GF from Perth.

I think we can comfortably double that when we get the Reds back and RL gets a stronger profile here.

You need the reds, but the NRL also needs to guarantee they get their games on free to air TV in ALL regions of australia in prime time. How they expect to get an audience, by showing games after midnight all year, then expect people to have an interest in the grand final is a joke.

And don't let Nine push their crap excuse that it won't rate if they broadcast the games in Perth ( and Melbourne and Adelaide for that matter ) in Prime Time. Up here in north queensland, we have been getting 3 AFL games on free to air every weekend for nearly 10 years.

rwaite

Juniors
IT'S ON LIVE!!!
I've just checked yourtv.com.au, and it says both Ch9 and GEM are showing the NRL Grand Final live into Perth, starting at 1:30pm, and finishing at 4:30pm.

Ch9, you've finally done well. About bloody time too.

Good for WA. Just wonder how much better the coverage for regular NRL games would be in WA if another network beats Channel 9 for the TV rights. Hopefully they would do a much better job that Nine is.

Nuke

Staff member
I have a feeling we may be getting a better deal here in WA next year. I'm seeing all these ads for GEM on Ch9, and all of them show NRL clips in their ads. I'm thinking that maybe in 2011, GEM will show the NRL at a better time than Ch9 does.

Of course, they could just be the ads that were made in NSW and they didn't alter them for WA...