What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Harmony Cups around the World?

latingringo101

Juniors
This is just a question i had but i was wondering if it'd be worth setting up Harmony Cups of RL around the world?

We (NRL) use Australia's multiculturalism to our advantage by setting up tournaments to allow youngsters (aged 14-17) to represent their heritage in Harmony Cup in Sydney.

The reason its very successful is mainly because;

1. It helps unite youngsters and understand more about themselves and others cultures.

2. Add mores numbers playing RL because players from Professional RL academies aren't allowed to play.

Could this work in countries such as the UK, France, Canada etc where there are BIG expat communities from around the world?

Perth Red

Post Whore
We will have our inaugural Harmony Nines in WA in February.

Harmony-9s-2017.png

latingringo101

Juniors
We will have our inaugural Harmony Nines in WA in February.

Harmony-9s-2017.png

Yes i saw that, Victoria, South Australia, QLD and now NZ are doing similar things. Very great to see!

I wonder if the RFL would be interested in doing something similar for the game in GB.

latingringo101

Juniors
They'd have to find at least two cultures in the north who play the sport.

Can rangas be counted?

There's large Caribbean, Southern and East Asian, Middle Eastern, African and Eastern European populations in the UK. It could work similar to how Australia do it and help the RFL get more people playing RL in the UK.

yakstorm

First Grade
There is a significant Caribbean and Pakistani population in the north of England, if nothing else, concepts like the Harmony Cup would help the RFL build participation back up in those markets by engaging those new populations which only have limited links to the code.

Latest posts