What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in the Media (Print, Matty Johns, NRL360, Sterlo, Queenslanders Only, League Life, Proffessor)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Thread for NRL media based posts where the media say something stupid, smart or controversial that do not deserve their own thread.

Steve Blocker Roach does not appear to take himself all that seriously nor typically portray himself as a skilled debater or intellectual, but on this week's Sterlo he looked a class above co-panelists such as Corey Parker.

The issue was Soiola being sent off for the high-tackle on Billy Slater.

Blocker's argument, was that almost no player in the modern NRL with the possibility of facing such bans, fines and further financial loss, deliberately comes into contact with an opponents head (punching and the rare and famously deliberate king hits aside). He's done his homework and talked to the forwards. They don't want their wallets lightened. The deterrents are in fact deterring. This is actually a good argument from Blocker, as the issue around fault for a player making head contact and being punsihed is far more typically less than intending to hit the head, but a player being reckless as to the possibility of hitting a head and to ensure they exercise their duty of care as far as reasonably possible (negligence) to not hit the head.

The response from the seemingly more articulate Corey Parker was "there was intent",

Roach's riposte, "intent to do what?"

A disbelieving Corey Parker tried again to say that there was intent, but an animated Steve Roach was now all over the point with "intent to do what".

Finally Corey Parker modified or expanded his argument to there was intent to hit Billy Slater late (after he passed the ball).*

I feel for Corey Parker because the phrase "there was intent" is so often poorly used in rugby league circles, one could almost be forgiven for thinking it is an esoteric phrase with an in-trade meaning of say hitting at full force, like it is mis-used by cricket commentators for players who bowl or bat with more "aggression" (or increasing risk and riding their luck) to take wickets or score runs, but not on Blocker Roach's watch, even with the panel (Ennis seemed to miss the point of the debate altogether) trying to him he was wrong, he demands the verb to complete phrase. Blocker was right to in my opinion.

Well done Blocker.

*Blocker was not entirely convinced of this either as he reckons the angle Solialo was comming from - he would have been blinded as to Billy having passed the ball before it was too late, but it is a separate issue from the head issue.

Last edited:

OzDragon

Coach
Blocker seems like an alright sort of guy, but is a prime example of 'just because you can talk, doesn't mean you should'

Sterlo is the only one who seems to know his stuff and doesn't try to inflate his own ego half the time. Voss is the best commentator by far.

All the qld commentators and media 'personalities' can f**k right off.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Oh I am sure Blocker makes plenty more howlers than the ones I've witnessed. And his voice does not have dulcet tones of Ray Warren neither. But this time he was bang on the mark, and streets ahead of the panel using their jargon incorrectly and then not actually making any point or sense. They missed Blocker's valid and good point as to the degree of intended culpability on the part of tacklers, and most people agree that the punishment ought to fit the offence.

Blocker's commentary skills went up a few points in my book. He knew what he was talking about, and able to communicate it in good clear English. Parker was all at sea, and Ennis seemed to miss the point.

Sterlo was strangely quiet during the discussion.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Batting with intent is not 'riding your luck' if you think it is, then you are misinterpreting it.

Batting with intent to score may be somewhat synonymous with riding your luck. I.e David Warner.

Batting with intent is just batting with an attempt to focus on every detail.

Parker basically contributed nothing, which is what I believe Roach was calling him out on. How can a late shot be anything other than intentional. Maybe not the fact it was high but if a tackle is deemed late enough to pull out and it happens of course its intentional

no name

Coach
I don't really agree with what Blocker said about the tackle, but he was spot on about the hysteria created because it was Slater and also pinned Parker for the 'there was intent' argument and also made Hooper look like the dick he is when he said he didn't reckon Slater slipped.
He quite easily won an argument I thought he was wrong about.

I thought it should have been a send off, but there has been a few incidents over the last few years that weren't sent off, so I wasn't really surprised. Tapau on Bird and Inu on Inglis being the main ones.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Batting with intent is not 'riding your luck' if you think it is, then you are misinterpreting it.

Batting with intent to score may be somewhat synonymous with riding your luck. I.e David Warner.

Batting with intent is just batting with an attempt to focus on every detail.

Parker basically contributed nothing, which is what I believe Roach was calling him out on. How can a late shot be anything other than intentional. Maybe not the fact it was high but if a tackle is deemed late enough to pull out and it happens of course its intentional

Typicalfan, "batting with intent" literally just means to that a person is intending to bat. A batsman could intend to defend or score, (or even play each ball on its merits). Thats half the problem with the phrase with different people using it differently in the BMac Shane Warne* and co and their destruction of the English language in cricket commentary. "Resources" and "proper" are endangered words with regards those two as well.

But I agree with you that Parker contributed nothing and Roach called him out on it. Parker then changed his argument to the lateness of the tackle, something Roach had not been discussing.

*Frustratingly Shane Warne can at times be eloquent and offer brilliant cricketing insights when he isn't goofing around and using his silly catch phrases and being a boofhead.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I don't really agree with what Blocker said about the tackle, but he was spot on about the hysteria created because it was Slater and also pinned Parker for the 'there was intent' argument and also made Hooper look like the dick he is when he said he didn't reckon Slater slipped.
He quite easily won an argument I thought he was wrong about.

I thought it should have been a send off, but there has been a few incidents over the last few years that weren't sent off, so I wasn't really surprised. Tapau on Bird and Inu on Inglis being the main ones.

I think there are three arguments you mention here.

1 Is the issue a big deal just cause the victim was Billy? (I don't think Blocker had the best argument here, and I don't think he won it)

2 Did Soialia intend to hit Billy's head (Blocker caned Parker here)

3 And a sub argument from above, did Billy slip in the tackle (which he allegedly did by 20 cm according to Soilola's legal team analysisng the footage)

Vee

First Grade
Thread for NRL media based posts where the media say something stupid, smart or controversial that do not deserve their own thread.

Steve Blocker Roach does not appear to take himself all that seriously nor typically portray himself as a skilled debater or intellectual, but on this week's Sterlo he looked a class above co-panelists such as Corey Parker.

The issue was Soiola being sent off for the high-tackle on Billy Slater.

Blocker's argument, was that almost no player in the modern NRL with the possibility of facing such bans, fines and further financial loss, deliberately comes into contact with an opponents head (punching and the rare and famously deliberate king hits aside). He's done his homework and talked to the forwards. They don't want their wallets lightened. The deterrents are in fact deterring. This is actually a good argument from Blocker, as the issue around fault for a player making head contact and being punsihed is far more typically less than intending to hit the head, but a player being reckless as to the possibility of hitting a head and to ensure they exercise their duty of care as far as reasonably possible (negligence) to not hit the head.

The response from the seemingly more articulate Corey Parker was "there was intent",

Roach's riposte, "intent to do what?"

A disbelieving Corey Parker tried again to say that there was intent, but an animated Steve Roach was now all over the point with "intent to do what".

Finally Corey Parker modified or expanded his argument to there was intent to hit Billy Slater late (after he passed the ball).*

I feel for Corey Parker because the phrase "there was intent" is so often poorly used in rugby league circles, one could almost be forgiven for thinking it is an esoteric phrase with an in-trade meaning of say hitting at full force, like it is mis-used by cricket commentators for players who bowl or bat with more "aggression" (or increasing risk and riding their luck) to take wickets or score runs, but not on Blocker Roach's watch, even with the panel (Ennis seemed to miss the point of the debate altogether) trying to him he was wrong, he demands the verb to complete phrase. Blocker was right to in my opinion.

Well done Blocker.

*Blocker was not entirely convinced of this either as he reckons the angle Solialo was comming from - he would have been blinded as to Billy having passed the ball before it was too late, but it is a separate issue from the head issue.
I saw that and thought the complete opposite. Blocker's normally a dribbler but took it to a whole new level.

King hit

Coach
I don't mind Blocker as a commentator. He is much better than the 9 crew and seems like he would be funny to talk to. He is nowhere near Sterlo though who is by far the best commentator. Voss the best caller.

Vee

First Grade
Blocker seems like an alright sort of guy, but is a prime example of 'just because you can talk, doesn't mean you should'

Sterlo is the only one who seems to know his stuff and doesn't try to inflate his own ego half the time. Voss is the best commentator by far.

All the qld commentators and media 'personalities' can f**k right off.
Agree with almost all of this. Re the Qld commentators, now you know what we've had to put up for decades from similarly biased NSWankers.

Vee

First Grade
Oh I am sure Blocker makes plenty more howlers than the ones I've witnessed. And his voice does not have dulcet tones of Ray Warren neither. But this time he was bang on the mark, and streets ahead of the panel using their jargon incorrectly and then not actually making any point or sense. They missed Blocker's valid and good point as to the degree of intended culpability on the part of tacklers, and most people agree that the punishment ought to fit the offence.

Blocker's commentary skills went up a few points in my book. He knew what he was talking about, and able to communicate it in good clear English. Parker was all at sea, and Ennis seemed to miss the point.

Sterlo was strangely quiet during the discussion.
No-one was talking about intent until Blockhead missed the point and went off on a tangent

Lambretta

First Grade
The hysteria over this one has me a little baffled to be honest and is a great example of how precious some Australians get when discussing Rugby League and referee standards

Soliola came in with a late shot on Slater - it was late, because there was time to change lines and avoid contact or pull out altogether.

The shot was one of those "I'm here, so pay attention" whacks into the back that players get 20 times a game each. Yes Soliola had time to pull out but the point of contact was aimed at Slaters back and not designed to hurt Billy

Slater slipped at the last moment and dropped about 8 inches, in fact he was dropping so quickly Soliola almost went clean over the top missing him altogether. However he didn't and his arm caught Billy clean on the side of the head knocking him out

The referees had two choices
Send him off because it was late and it damaged a player
Or, give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as Slater obviously slipped and refer it to the judiciary to decide if time away from the game is desired. The referees opted for the second option as they nearly always do.

If I had been the on-field referee, I would have sent Soliola off, but I can understand why the referees on the day decided to defer to the judiciary. They don't want the criticism of having too big an influence on the game, lest the Canberra coach have a go at them.... oh wait.

Canberra did Melbourne a solid and failed to capitalise on their advantage. So once again the hysteria is hardly warranted. Melbourne still won and Soliola will be having a holiday.

Bazal

Post Whore
Blocker vs Parker. Jesus christ, there's a mental clash of the titans....who cares?

Oh, never mind, just saw who the OP was.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The hysteria over this one has me a little baffled to be honest and is a great example of how precious some Australians get when discussing Rugby League and referee standards

Soliola came in with a late shot on Slater - it was late, because there was time to change lines and avoid contact or pull out altogether.

The shot was one of those "I'm here, so pay attention" whacks into the back that players get 20 times a game each. Yes Soliola had time to pull out but the point of contact was aimed at Slaters back and not designed to hurt Billy

Slater slipped at the last moment and dropped about 8 inches, in fact he was dropping so quickly Soliola almost went clean over the top missing him altogether. However he didn't and his arm caught Billy clean on the side of the head knocking him out

The referees had two choices
Send him off because it was late and it damaged a player
Or, give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as Slater obviously slipped and refer it to the judiciary to decide if time away from the game is desired. The referees opted for the second option as they nearly always do.

If I had been the on-field referee, I would have sent Soliola off, but I can understand why the referees on the day decided to defer to the judiciary. They don't want the criticism of having too big an influence on the game, lest the Canberra coach have a go at them.... oh wait.

Canberra did Melbourne a solid and failed to capitalise on their advantage. So once again the hysteria is hardly warranted. Melbourne still won and Soliola will be having a holiday.

Yeah, you get the wider issue of sending a player off benefiting the playing team (and how hard it is to win with 12) as against a team with an injured player getting no benefit of a suspension later. So deliberately trying to injure star players more justifies a stronger action of a send off, but does an accidental head high that will result in suspension later anyway deserve the playing team to go down to 12 men and more likely lose? How does a ref or the NRL then explain it if the judiciary acquit a player (say in a freakish slip example) who was sent off?

Last edited: