What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL - International round

jim_57

Staff member
Probably a crazy idea, but just a thought. With more and more sports and teams looking to grow their brand internationally and it being easier than ever should the NRL get on board and inteoduce an "International Round"?

So basically all games played outside of Australia with a limit of 2 games per country.

Not too sure on the logistical side of things and how you would fit it in, maybe reduce each team to 11 home games and teams are drawn at random and split any money from their International game and the NRL guarantee offer a grant post game depending on amount of effort put in to promoting the game by clubs.

Obviously any game would have to be within a feasible distance, so that rules out Europe, and North America, but there are plenty of options in the Pacific Islands/states (Hawaii) and Asia, maybe West Coast USA, South America or South Africa at an absolute stretch, but probably a bit too far.

Obviously it would be a lot to work out but not impossible. I think growing the NRL and club brands Internationally could be invaluable in the medium-long term.

Thoughts?

Edit: How about the idea of 2 clubs involved in the WCS opening the season in UK/Europe the following week?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
haha, we struggle to grow the presence across Australia, let alone new foreign markets. I like your enthusiasm but this is RL, we like to be big fish in tiny ponds.

We should have moved into Sth Africa when Union was whites only and launched RL in the townships as a game with no class or colour barriers. Just add it to another list of missed opportunities for the greatest game.

jim_57

Staff member
haha, we struggle to grow the presence across Australia, let alone new foreign markets. I like your enthusiasm but this is RL, we like to be big fish in tiny ponds.

We should have moved into Sth Africa when Union was whites only and launched RL in the townships as a game with no class or colour barriers. Just add it to another list of missed opportunities for the greatest game.

Yes I think all RL fans are well aware of the shortcomings lf those in charge. But doesn't mean we can't hope for better in the future. RL needs a shake up, I'm hoping Toronto Wolfpack in particular can open some eyes and break up the boys club.

South Africa is definitely a case in point, aside from pinching a couple players and seeing them disappear back to Super Rugbg what has any RL club done to help grow the game there? Potential is there with a strong Rugby culture already.

jim_57

Staff member
One thing our game doesn't lack is potential. Now finding leaders who can realise it, that is our problem!

I'm sure plenty realise it, but if the game was to really branch out many of the old boys club would have their nice little bubble burst.